Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Is it just me or do the first gen Pilots all get rust on the rear passenger quarter panel. I've got it, my friends car has it and I've been checking and have seen it on random gen 1 Pilots in parking lots. What did you do about it? A body shop told me that the only sure fire way was to cut it out, weld in a new section and match the paint. Your thoughts?

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
That particular rear quarter fender design affected multiple Hondas like the Odyssey, MDX etc. Next versions had a more slanted angle design at the rear quarter fender. Typical repair is as you described. Hard to find optional fender flares could be used during the repair.

·
Registered
8,856 Posts
Classic Pilot rust pattern, especially in the snow belt. For a few years, I sanded and repainted in the spring, but of course it eventually kept coming back. For quite a while I entertained the fantasy of getting OEM fender flares as a kind of oxidation fig leaf, but they are discontinued. I did order some aftermarket universal fender flares, which was going to be my measure of last resort if it got just too unbearable to look at, but in the end I acquiesced to the wisdom of paying a tidy sum to get it done right, as your body shop suggests.

A body shop told me that the only sure fire way was to cut it out, weld in a new section and match the paint. Your thoughts?
Personally, I'm super happy with the result. If you find a good place, as my drawn out research finally led me too, it's like driving it off the showroom floor.

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
15,928 Posts
Up in New England by 120k is when that starts being visible. By 250k holes appear. If you want to scare yourself, crawl underneath and look at all the rust you haven’t seen.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Classic Pilot rust pattern, especially in the snow belt. For a few years, I sanded and repainted in the spring, but of course it eventually kept coming back. For quite a while I entertained the fantasy of getting OEM fender flares as a kind of oxidation fig leaf, but they are discontinued. I did order some aftermarket universal fender flares, which was going to be my measure of last resort if it got just too unbearable to look at, but in the end I acquiesced to the wisdom of paying a tidy sum to get it done right, as your body shop suggests.

Personally, I'm super happy with the result. If you find a good place, as my drawn out research finally led me too, it's like driving it off the showroom floor.
I am thinking about

·
Registered
339 Posts
recommend pull the rear bumper cover, inner fender well - there will be more rust that your seeing. If its not thru the sheet metal yet. I would get on it with rust inhibitor and underbody coating. Mine is pretty bad....along with the subframe.

In hind sight I wish I had addressed this area, I only did the doors and rockers early on with Eastwood products.

·
Registered
8,713 Posts
I haven't seen rust like that since the 80s. But I do live in a semi arid climate.

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
15,928 Posts
Yup. But it’s even nastier underneath....

·
Registered
8,856 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts