Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed while looking under my Pilot that behind/inside each of the rear wheels the metal has turned extremely rusty. Is this normal. I've only had the car for 6 weeks.

This is a picture of the left rear wheel taken from under the tail of the car. You can see the boot where the axle is attaching to the wheel. All around it is rusty.

Is this normal?

Attachments

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Another picture

You can see in this picture the part that is rusty also holds the shock absorber. Anyone know the name of the part that is rusting in these pictures?

Attachments

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
rust on wheel seen from outside

This is a picture of the rust I can see on the brake between the "spokes" of the wheel. Someone else in another thread said they saw rust there as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
123 Posts
Mine was like that since day 1.

·
Admin Du Jour ®
989 Posts
It's surface rust on the cast iron. It won't corrode through. You could remove it and paint or coat. X is the same way. I think only a couple of people did anything about it.

·
Registered
176 Posts
It's cast iron! It's supposed to have surface rust!

That is NOT the wheel! It is probably called the "hub flange" or something similar. Technically this is a static component in that it does not rotate or flex, perfrect use for cast iron. The pivot surfaces (which connect to the other suspension pieces) are provided with steel surfaces (mostly provided by washer-type pieces) that will bear any wear.

You should not paint this, it would be impossible to rust through and paint might even foul the pivot points unless you were EXTEREMELY careful about disassmebly.

If you've ever seen the suspension parts of a semi or locomotive, you'd seen lots of cast iron that probably has hundreds of thousand if not millions of miles on it!

·
Registered
116 Posts
I noticed this rust when looking under the hood yesterday. It had me worried. Glad to find out that it is normal.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Rust

The 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee that I drove before getting my Pilot on Friday had the same problem for the entire 3-year period that I drove it. The brakes and wheels were fine, but it was not pleasing to the eye.

·
Registered
30 Posts
It's a self-protective patina

I'm don't know too much about this, but the right kind of iron will develop surface rust in a matter of days, but once the oxidized layer is thick enough, the patina will actually protect the iron beneath, preventing additional rust. Parts used in hidden areas where there is no wear are well suited to this material. Once the oxidation is thick enough, oxygen can no longer get to the raw iron and the process slows to a crawl.

Any metallurgical engineers out there that can explain the chemistry and rationale for its use?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Re: It's a self-protective patina

Sort of...

First, I'm NOT a professional metallurgist, but I studied quite a bit of chemistry, even did some micro-chemical analysis work after undergrad with Walter McCrone, so I can evalute some of the tech info I find.

I think you may be confusing CorTen steel with cast iron. CorTen is designed to do exactly what you suggest -- protective rust patina. It is a favorite of sculptors. The Picasso in Chicago's Daley Plaza is made of it, and an entire building in Chicago is sheathed in it.

It is possible for iron to be cast in such a way as to accomplish the same thing. In fact, there is a famous pillar in India that was made with just right ingredients:

http://tejas.serc.iisc.ernet.in/~currsci/jun102002/1357.pdf (very techincal, but interesting)

http://www.iitk.ac.in/infocell/Archive/dirnov1/iron_pillar.html (basic description)

This actaully expalins how the process works:
http://www.hbcse.tifr.res.in/icho/Catalyzer-2/pillar

Pretty amazing!

BTW, modern cast iron does not generally have a high enough percentage of phosphorus in it to form the protective coating.

thonhazz said:
I'm don't know too much about this, but the right kind of iron will develop surface rust in a matter of days, but once the oxidized layer is thick enough, the patina will actually protect the iron beneath, preventing additional rust. Parts used in hidden areas where there is no wear are well suited to this material. Once the oxidation is thick enough, oxygen can no longer get to the raw iron and the process slows to a crawl.

Any metallurgical engineers out there that can explain the chemistry and rationale for its use?

·
Registered
6 Posts
2002 fast forward to 2003 RUST

I am glad this topic has been discussed before.

However, is there anyway to prevent it? The last car I drove also had this and it makes me wonder if the salt on the road accelerates the process... It's very ugly looking.

My Pilot is only 10 days old and I am seeing it slowly develop. It is also happening in the front brake disc (middle part and flat side edge - can you picture this?)

Please let me know what your new experiences are if any. Or if anyone did anything about it.

Thank you and Merry Christmas!

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
Boy, this thread sure got rusty, over a year old.:D I think it's all nothing to worry about. My rotors get rusty every day. And the underside of my spare - rusty. No big deal. Even a few bolts under the hood look rusty. No problem. Cars are exposed to the elements, and "rust happens." When the rust prevents a part from functioning as it was designed or shortens its reasonable useful life, then it's a problem. And rust on a painted metal body panel is never a good thing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
RUST

Thanks Jay... That's very reassuring.

How about this one... I also noticed some thick black layer peeling in some areas underside of the Pilot. Is this anything to to be concerned about? I am assuming the black coating is to protect the underside. Why is it peeling so soon?

Have you had any experience with this?

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
Re: RUST

Olivia said:
Thanks Jay... That's very reassuring.

How about this one... I also noticed some thick black layer peeling in some areas underside of the Pilot. Is this anything to to be concerned about? I am assuming the black coating is to protect the underside. Why is it peeling so soon?

Have you had any experience with this?
Any way to get a picture of that? Did you get a dealer rustproofing package?

·
Registered
6 Posts
No, rustproofing was never discussed. I will also try to get a picture.

When the Pilots are made do they do a "basic" rust proofing? Is that what I am seeing, whatever it was that they put on?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts