Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Well, mine will be here in 7 days. Can't wait. Sage EXL with RES.

I got my all weather mats, extra headphones, storage organizer, splash guards, oil filters, leather remote holder,keychain and hat from HandA-Accessories.com today. Check out the deals there if you haven't already!

I'm thinking of having the dealer add either the running boards or sidesteps for my 3 small kids before I pick it up next week. Which would you choose and why? From the pictures, they both look similiar. Whats the diff?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Welcome pilotsue! I too am the owner of a one week old sage EXL RES! Like you I got the splash guards, extra headset for my third child, auto day/night mirror, all weather mats (from college hills honda), and running boards (a must have!). I opted for the running boards simply because they were more functional than the side steps, and stick out further so that little feet can step on them easier. In my opinion the side steps are more for show than anything else. The dealer made a mistake and accidentally put on the gold emblem package, so I am now debating whether I should exchange it for the chrome package (also thrown in because of the mistake!). My wife likes it, and its starting to grow on me...Congrats on your new soon to be purchase! You're going to love it...

·
Registered
38 Posts
running boards or side steps

Hello PilotSue

I have not see the side steps on a Pilot. Going by the picture you might want to check out the space between the side step and the frame with the door open. Looks like a small foot might be able to slip in the gap too far. It also looks like it would be easy to slip on the side step as they are round. The running boards do not have the gap.

I will be adding the running boards to my LX. They just seem to be more useful.

My LX is also Sage, love it.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Do a search for "running boards/sidesteps" there are some pictures..

Sidesteps have two flat levels to put your feet so you will not slip. and the there is a gap, but hard to get any feet to totally slip through it, might get them stuck though??

I have some on my Pilot and they look sharp. Running boards to me don't look as sporty, but they might protect the Pilot a little better from rocks and debris..

take care
rob

·
Registered
48 Posts
PilotSue- I opted for the running boards. IMHO, they look sharp and seal good between the body of the vehicle and the running board helping to keep debris/trash/slush/etc. off of the side. The frame has pre-drilled holes and with a 13mm socket and two hours of time it is a pretty easy DIY project.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I took delivery of my black ex-l dvd last week. I opted for sidesteps because they look sharper to me than running boards. Running boards would probably keep road stuff off your pilot better, but functionality of side steps is fine. My 3 and 6 year olds get in each morning using side steps with no problems...

·
Registered
71 Posts
LX = Steps, EX = Boards

I have an LX and opted for the steps as they seem (to me) more in character for the LX's more "rugged" looks. My 5 year old son hasn't had any problem with the small gap. :4: I like the boards on the EXs I've seen, as they have a sleeker profile that compliments the matching trim look.

While we're on the subject, my only gripe with the LX look is that the "black" trim isn't all the same color. It doesn't look bad, but why the heck aren't the door panels the same as the splash guards, bumpers, etc?? :confused:

You can take a look at my gallery picture - http://www.honda-pilot.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2044 to see the flat step areas.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Another 'Hamster

I got the side steps. I thought they looked better on the black Pilot than the steps. I have used them both (steps and boards) and found them both functional. The steps fit very close to the body so it would be highly unlikely that a small child's foot would get caught.

Did you buy your Pilot from NW Honda? I didn't and saved a lot of money. Hope to see you on the roads soon.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Gerald Wallen said:
I'd like to see some images of the side steps, if anyone has them.

Jerry
Just do a search on "sidesteps" and it will bring up a whole bunch on threads.. check them all out you will find some pictures. check out the Gallary also.

rob

·
Registered
43 Posts
Chrome Sidesteps

I have a question for Tim. I notice MDX has a chrome sidesteps option available. Just wondering if Honda will offer a chorme sidesteps anytime soon.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Speaking of MDX parts..

I forgot what website it was, but I was searching for Pilot accessories on there.. I clicked on side steps and it gave me an option, "black or stainless steel".. when I clicked on either link though, it took me to a page that showed 2002 MDX side steps.. there was even a checkbox at the bottom of the page that said something like "limit search to items for: 2003 Pilot" and I checked it.. same thing.. pulled up the 2002 MDX page..

So I'm wondering, does anyone know if MDX side steps will fit on a Pilot ? Because the idea of having stainless steel side steps is appealing to me (I think the price on the SS ones were like $489 or something)..

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
My experience with running boards vs. side steps on previous vehicles is:

Running boards stay cleaner, and help keep the side of the truck that way too.

IMO Side steps look better, but if you live in an area that gets lots of snow, they tend to get covered in more road goo. I was constantly avoiding use of my side steps in the winter because they were filty and often had a layer of frozen slop on them.

·
Registered
991 Posts
I second that.. I have the sidesteps and like them, but they do get very filthy... The only thing that bugs me is that it is when you step out, your pants always touch the dirty sidesteps, so now I have learned to step on them first!

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Ah Yes! The tell-tale dirt mark on your pants between your knee and ankle!!!:D

·
Premium Member
2,040 Posts
Re: Chrome Sidesteps

twister99 said:
I have a question for Tim. I notice MDX has a chrome sidesteps option available. Just wondering if Honda will offer a chorme sidesteps anytime soon.
God only knows.....we didn't have any advanced warning for the MDX ones honestly. It'd be interesting to find out if they would actually fit. Hmm. Is there anyone local to me that would like to give it a try for the heck of it?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts