Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just installed the running boards, took me more than 2 hours. Followed the installation guide. However, after installing the running board, I found both front and rear end of the running boards don't have any support, so they are kind of not firm enough to hold any significant weight. Because it has only 3 brackets (front/center/rear) to support the boards, beyond the front and rear brackets, nothing to support.

Anybody noticed this? I am afraid that I missed something. Under the running boards, I did notice there is one small plastic like clip, should I insert this clip on to somewhere? If anyone has the dealer installed running boards, do the ends of the boards firm enough?

·
Registered
204 Posts
I installed the running boards myself, they seem to be firm. I really don't see a reason why anyone will step onto the front overhang to get into the Pilot. If the boards are not firm enough in the rear, you may have missed something, or did not align the end of the runningboards with the fenders at both ends.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe I should not use "not firm", the running boards are pretty firm, the only thing I found is the very front end and the rear end. I shall say it doesn't feel like they can hold my weight there. I think I aligned them pretty well. But still, the rear end will have an overhang beyond the brackets.

I agree most likely, nobody will step onto the front overhang, due to the fact the door is opened to the front. But it looks to me the rear overhang is still under the rear door, and could be stepped over.

I saw one plastic clip or tong under each end, but couldn't find anywhere on the fender to insert or clip. Did you use them?

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Running Boards

everest said:
Maybe I should not use "not firm", the running boards are pretty firm, the only thing I found is the very front end and the rear end. I shall say it doesn't feel like they can hold my weight there. I think I aligned them pretty well. But still, the rear end will have an overhang beyond the brackets.

I agree most likely, nobody will step onto the front overhang, due to the fact the door is opened to the front. But it looks to me the rear overhang is still under the rear door, and could be stepped over.

I saw one plastic clip or tong under each end, but couldn't find anywhere on the fender to insert or clip. Did you use them?
Eric,

I didn't really check the firmness of the edges of the running boards. I guess because I would never step there. The running boards support me great, but the reason I really got them is for my 5-year old. I don't recall the plastic clips or tongs.

P.S. Does the Pilot fit in your garage?

Steve

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Yes, the back end seems unsuported, but I have used this as a step to load the roof with no problems.
I would not recommend steping on the plastic part.

·
Registered
204 Posts
everest said:

I don't recall a clip or tong. :confused:
I read through the installation instructions again, did not find a mention of anything as such.

·
Registered
152 Posts
The running boards have about 1/4L hanging on the rear side. I do feel the board sag or flex significantly when I use the step to access the rear seat. I weigh about 170 lbs. and have to stop using it before the sag stays permanent. I am sort of disappointed with the design that doesn't fully serve its purpose.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So it looks like I didn't miss anything for the installation. I myself never use the running board, my wife might use that from time to time, however, that's for front part only. I guess we will avoid stepping onto the plastic part at the rear end.

Steve, the pilot can still fit into my garage, though barely:) The running boards actually don't add any additional width.

HiFlyer, I didn't find any mentioning of plastic clip or tong in the installation either. Just noticed under the board.

My sister in law has a MDX, with dealer installed running boards, it's identical to mine. Next time, I am going to take a look at it. But I guess the three brackets are the only supports.

·
Registered
14 Posts
where are the instructions?

i just received my running boards and i noticed there is no installation paperwork.

I've tried a few searches with no luck. Can someone give me an idea as to where i can find the instructions?

thanks in advance!

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
Re: where are the instructions?

humanpole said:
i just received my running boards and i noticed there is no installation paperwork.

I've tried a few searches with no luck. Can someone give me an idea as to where i can find the instructions?

thanks in advance!
humanpole: Try this link (you'll need Adobe Acrobat Reader (or similar app) since it's a PDF file): Running Board Installation Good Luck!!! :)

·
Registered
115 Posts
everest said:
Just installed the running boards, took me more than 2 hours. Followed the installation guide. However, after installing the running board, I found both front and rear end of the running boards don't have any support, so they are kind of not firm enough to hold any significant weight. Because it has only 3 brackets (front/center/rear) to support the boards, beyond the front and rear brackets, nothing to support.

Anybody noticed this? I am afraid that I missed something. Under the running boards, I did notice there is one small plastic like clip, should I insert this clip on to somewhere? If anyone has the dealer installed running boards, do the ends of the boards firm enough?
I assume you are referring to Honda's OEM boards. I know what you mean about the clip. I do not think it is meant to provide support. If I recall there is also similar a structure on the front end. I think they serve as spacers to align fit, but certainly not to provide support. I would certainly have liked the back section to remain supported Aluminum a few inches further back, but haven't had any problems with the boards.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Re: Re: Running boards installation question

Loutog said:

I assume you are referring to Honda's OEM boards. I know what you mean about the clip. I do not think it is meant to provide support. If I recall there is also similar a structure on the front end. I think they serve as spacers to align fit, but certainly not to provide support. I would certainly have liked the back section to remain supported Aluminum a few inches further back, but haven't had any problems with the boards.
No, I think everest is referring to the brackets that are attached to the chasis and support the runningboards. There is at least a foot of overhang that, when stepped on is not as firm as the middle of the board. The backend of the boards are a potential problem becuase they are definitely used by passengers entering the second/third row seats, however, the front overhang is not a problem because it is too far under the door hinge that no one will step on to get into the front seats. The only time the front overhang maybe stepped on to is when you are working on the exterior and need to reach up on the rooftop, perhaps to tie-down a luggage carrier or something like that.

·
Registered
747 Posts
I would

HiFlyer said:
I installed the running boards myself, they seem to be firm. I really don't see a reason why anyone will step onto the front overhang to get into the Pilot. If the boards are not firm enough in the rear, you may have missed something, or did not align the end of the runningboards with the fenders at both ends.

I step on the very front end of my step bars when I need to clean top center piece of windshield. Of course my another foot will be on top of front tire. Weird, Huh?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts