Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am installing the running board. When I try to tighten the bolts with a torque wrench, I have got a problem. I don't have enough room to turn the wrench for the short flange bolts on the brackets. No problem with the long flange bolts as they go verically into the body of the vehicle. So all I can do is tightening the short flange bolts as much as I can with a ratchet. This makes me rather uncomfortable as I can very often make a few more turns with the torque wrench when tightening bolts to the specified torque. (20 lb/ft in this case) I think putting the vehicle up on jack stands won't help much. Could someone who have installed the running board themselves give me advice? Thanks.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Putting the Torque wrench in is not easy, but after feeling how tight 20FT-LB is you should be able to get them to about the same torque with a standard wrench.
These are not overly critical bolts.
Tight enough not to slip, and not so tight as to damage the threads.

·
Registered
138 Posts
If you afraid of lossing the nut, you can always use lock tight, an liquid form that will help to seize the thread.

You can get these in most autopart store.

If you hope to take apart the running board again in the future, DO NOT USED locktight. :2:

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Tips

1. Don't Worry about it

2. If you have to worry do what real off raoders do. Put a glob of silicon seal on the nut. It would hold it tight, but will keep it from falling off.

3. Don't worry about it

:2:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts