Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking to install OEM running boards on our new pilot. I’m more than capable of doing it myself. The instructions say to remove the undercoating and add touch up paint for the brackets.

I was hoping you guys could tell me if anyone as done that and if it’s really necessary. I don’t want the frame to rust from salt, as we live in NY, and the truck is brand new. I usually like to follow instructions but this as me thinking twice. If I paid the dealer I’m wondering if they would really do that or just slap them on.
Thanks guys for the help!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Im looking to install OEM running boards on our new pilot. I’m more than capable of doing it myself. The instructions say to remove the undercoating and add touch up paint for the brackets.

I was hoping you guys could tell me if anyone as done that and if it’s really necessary. I don’t want the frame to rust from salt, as we live in NY, and the truck is brand new. I usually like to follow instructions but this as me thinking twice. If I paid the dealer I’m wondering if they would really do that or just slap them on.
Haven’t done the installation myself, but found these threads where it seems most people (including the dealer) didn’t scrape it off:

Here’s someone that did remove the coating:

·
Registered
32 Posts
I just installed the OEM running boards on my 21 Touring and you do NOT have to remove the cut outs or cut the undercoating. There is a youtube video of an install and in the comments several people comment NOT to cut the cutout or cut the undercoating. Mine fit perfect. They don't rub or anything.

·
Registered
2019 Pilot Elite
578 Posts

You want to remove the factory stuff only if it's in the way. I don't think i had any issues with mine but can't remember.

I did have to cut it the factory notches using a utility knife.

More pictures here.

The folks here recommend Fluid Film. See link above. Spray this generously where you remove any factory coating and you can spray it on the connection points of the running boards.

Good luck, shouldn't take long to do.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts