Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had this with my Acura TL too. Now I have it with my 2006 Pilot. Right about 1500 RPM and 40mph it will bounce up and down if I stay at that speed. Thoughts?

·
Registered
9,507 Posts
I've had this with my Acura TL too. Now I have it with my 2006 Pilot. Right about 1500 RPM and 40mph it will bounce up and down if I stay at that speed. Thoughts?
Is your 06 Pilot a 2 wheel drive?

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,409 Posts
Mine (2WD) will do that if I give it a little gas, but then it'll go back down.

Maybe upload a video of it?

It could be a little bit of shift flare. How is the transmission otherwise?

·
Registered
9,507 Posts
It could be a little bit of shift flare. How is the transmission otherwise?
Yes, this was my next thought, trying to rule out a 2wd VCM problem. Obviously not a problem.
I'd also ask when was the ATF drained and filled last. Possibly a conversion to Full Synthetic Valvoline MaxLife ATF.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,409 Posts
Yes, this was my next thought, trying to rule out a 2wd VCM problem. Obviously not a problem.
I'd also ask when was the ATF drained and filled last. Possibly a conversion to Full Synthetic Valvoline MaxLife ATF.
I think a video would be best. It could be normal. It's hard to detect what it is without seeing (and honestly feeling it).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just bought it a couple weeks ago. Seems to be taken care of. I just drained and filled the ATF twice now. The fluid in it was pink when I drained it. I did put the Valvoline in there. I just think it's weird that this is the 2nd Honda/Acura I've had that has done this. Both 2006 models. The Acura has 200K this has 120K. I'll take a video of it. Tranny seems to be good otherwise.

·
Registered
9,507 Posts
I just bought it a couple weeks ago. Seems to be taken care of. I just drained and filled the ATF twice now. The fluid in it was pink when I drained it. I did put the Valvoline in there. I just think it's weird that this is the 2nd Honda/Acura I've had that has done this. Both 2006 models. The Acura has 200K this has 120K. I'll take a video of it. Tranny seems to be good otherwise.
Does this occur with the cruise control on?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Never use cruise but yeah I'm usually at a steady speed no acceleration. I was looking at RockAuto for parts it could be. Speed sensor?

·
Registered
9,507 Posts
Never use cruise but yeah I'm usually at a steady speed no acceleration. I was looking at RockAuto for parts it could be. Speed sensor?
Speed sensor tells the computer how fast your traveling. I don't believe it be a cause for a problem like this.
I'd lock the cruise on at 40mph to see if the rpm gauge fluctuates. This takes the human factor out.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Speed sensor tells the computer how fast your traveling. I don't believe it be a cause for a problem like this.
I'd lock the cruise on at 40mph to see if the rpm gauge fluctuates. This takes the human factor out.
Found this.

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,046 Posts
Classic Third fourth gear switch replacement symptoms. I could replicate the fluttering rev needle anytime I wanted to. replace those two switches on the auto box and you'll be all set

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Rocky. I actually did that on my Acura and it kept doing it but I also used some non-OEM switches. Never again!

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,303 Posts
To sum up: use non-OEM Valvoline Maxlife ATF for a 3x drain & fill, but definitely use only OEM 3rd and 4th gear pressure switches.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've seen this with my 2007 Pilot (246Kmiles) going downslope with little demand on the engine - I worried a bit, and just put my foot on the gas a bit and it goes away. I don't think this is a real issue to be worried about as I've been seeing it for 3 years now with no change.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Still happening. Could I have installed the solenoids in the wrong places? Pretty sure they only fit with the correct plug. I know most videos are 2005 models or older so they don't help.

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,046 Posts
That’s pretty frustrating for you. How many miles have you covered since the fixes?
I don’t want to think about stuff like the Torque Converter…..

1 - 18 of 18 Posts