Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried Royal Purple 5w20 synthetic oil? A racer friend swears by their oil in all of his vehicles. NAPA carries it in my area but it is a little pricey, >$5.00 qt. I have used Amsoil in the past vehicles and never had a problem but being that Royal Purple is readily available I may change over when I do my first oil change. Any opinions? :)

·
Registered
85 Posts
I understand it's a very high quality synthetic; right up there w/ amsoil but easier to find.
That's good to know it comes in 5W20, that's what I'll go to.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Amsoil vs. Royal Purple

Take a look at the link below regarding your question about using Royal Purple in place of Amsoil. As I said in an earlier post regarding this topic, I'm not an Amsoil dealer - just a product user. I have nothing to gain other than the truth and using nothing but the best in my Pilot.

Amsoil comes out on top over Royal Purple in the independant lab test below...

Amsoil vs. Royal Purple Test

Yes, Amsoil may be harder to get off the shelf, but based on the test data, it's worth the wait ordering it on-line and having it when you need it... tvanhouten

·
Registered
29 Posts
Re: Amsoil vs. Royal Purple

tvanhouten said:
Take a look at the link below regarding your question about using Royal Purple in place of Amsoil. As I said in an earlier post regarding this topic, I'm not an Amsoil dealer - just a product user. I have nothing to gain other than the truth and using nothing but the best in my Pilot.

Yes, Amsoil may be harder to get off the shelf, but based on the test data, it's worth the wait ordering it on-line and having it when you need it... tvanhouten
I'm not a huge fan of these "performance tests" put on by oil manufacturers and their sponsered magazines. I do like independent analyses performed by third party labs. The website www.bobistheoilguy.com has a good oil forum filled with excellent studies on extended drain intervals and oil quality. Does anyone know of other oil forums/independent oil studies?

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Re: Amsoil vs. Royal Purple

tvanhouten said:

Any idea how Mobil 1's full synthetic oil performs against Amsoil's? Any links or data for this? Thanks.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Re: Re: Amsoil vs. Royal Purple

RipRocK said:
Any idea how Mobil 1's full synthetic oil performs against Amsoil's? Any links or data for this? Thanks.
Two things to remember about things like "better" oil;

"Good Enough", is good enough!

and

"Better" is not always any better!

Look at how many Hondas are out there with 150,000 to 200,000 miles without an oil related engine problem.

Most of them just got regular oil.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Other Oil Test Data - Mobil 1 / Redline

RipRock,

Link below to an Amsoil site that has tests from 3rd party labs. Click the "Intense Amsoil testing" link to the left... Hope this helps.

More Oil Tests

N_jay, In some ways I agree with you. However, when towing my utility trailer and boat I don't want to risk the thermal break down of an inferior Dino oil. Also, I don't have to change my oil as often with the 100% full synthetics and I get better oil circulation on cold Winter start ups here in Idaho. I'm not arguing, just giving my opinion...

Thanks, tvanhouten

·
Registered
49 Posts
unbiased oil data

I'm not a huge fan of these "performance tests" put on by oil manufacturers and their sponsered magazines. I do like independent analyses performed by third party labs. The website www.bobistheoilguy.com has a good oil forum filled with excellent studies on extended drain intervals and oil quality. Does anyone know of other oil forums/independent oil studies?
The site mentioned by central_mo is amazing. To get the most out of it, you need to click forums, go to used oil analysis - gas engine or here. It contains actual oil analysis results from hundreds of people over a period of a few years. People post their oil analysis results, and then results are discussed by some very knowledgeable individuals.

This is an excellent site because you get real world data. I care about how a motor oil performs (effects wear) in my Pilot after 3750/7500 miles of use, not that Joe trucker went 400k miles without an oil change and a bypass filter, or stock car dyno results, or the length of a scar on a ball. I'm not anti-AMSoil by any means, but you would be hard pressed to conclude that any of the top synthetics (AMSoil, Mobile 1, Royal Purple, etc.) are the "best" from the posted results. In addition, it would be difficult to conclude that a synthetic motor oil was worthwhile if changed every 3750 miles.

Search on MXD and Pilot and you will even find a few reports for our engines.

By the way, used oil analysis (UOA) not only indicate how your engine or transmission is wearing, but it will also detect fuel, coolant, and intake leaks as well as several other engine problems. I plan to do oil changes very 7500 after the first with synthetic due our driving conditions. The results on Bob's site make me question going 7500 miles on dino oil and especially on the break-in oil. I would be very interested to hear what others conclude after studying the data.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts