Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're planning our summer vacation, and are considering heading out west. (From Michigan) We enjoy exploring back roads, and think the massive interstates can become very boring. We're usually not in a big hurry, and enjoy the scenery along the way. (Two weeks off helps!)

Have any of you ever driven Route 66?

I've found limited info on the web, but enough that I'm interested in exploring the idea. Are you aware of any good resources?

Is traveling this highway really the adventure it seems? Are the sites really that great? What about those "vintage" motels and diners? Are they really tourist traps?

On the surface, it seems like a cool trip. :D

·
Registered
7,953 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Over many years, we have sporadically traveled much of old 66 in several mid-western states. I too tire of driving the freeways but Old 66 travel is extremely slow. On a long haul trip, maybe alternating between Old 66 and the freeway every few hours would be more enjoyable. In fact, if the return was over the same basic route, the sections could simply be reversed so Old 66 would still be traveled in it's entirety. A highly recommended Old 66 stop here in St Louis is Ted Drews Custard - it's great stuff and they do an unbelievable volume of business.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Excellent links! Thank you!

Ted Drew's Custard is now on our list! Looks like Oklahoma and Texas have the most interesting, and drivable stretches of original highway.

I think this is going to be fun!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts