Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm new here and this is my first post. 2020 Pilot Elite......rides like a dump truck. Is this normal? Dealer found nothing wrong, almost rides like its on solid tires and struts, very disappointed to be honest. In fact the ride is so hard that the entire vehicle sound like its falling apart. On smooth roads (new asphalt) its fine. I've lowered the tire pressure to the point where the TPMS is about to light up and still no change. Any ideas?

·
Registered
9,541 Posts
It has been reported by others that had a similar experience. I seem to remember one on the forum who swapped 20" rims for 18"s to put more rubber between the rims and the road to soften the ride.

Reactions: Highspeedbail

·
Registered
625 Posts
I had a 2018 experience same thing. I had the 18s then went to 20s didn't really change anything for me.
Seen some stories of dealers swapping out shocks and some improvement but could be placebo effect.

Only 2 things I've read that have made an actual improvement to some are swapping out the shocks witch aftermarket since they are out there now and the option I was gonna do which was put sound dampening material in the car. I was gonna go with soundskins after much research and once I'm able to get back into a pilot or maybe a highlander from this 4runner I will do that.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is what I'm afraid of...........the beginning of "mods", new wheels and tires, aftermarket shocks, etc. My wife bought this car brand new and loves it, but cannot stand the ride. My daily driver is a '17 F-350, rides like a dream. So this Honda cost $42k and I have to mod it...........it will be for sale.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
Am I the only person who takes a car to the roughest road I can find when test driving? How do you buy what is one of the most expensive "things" you will buy in your life and not make sure you like everything about it?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Simple the truck weighs 9k lbs empty, just like the old heavy Cadillac's or Oldsmobile's, add a long wheel base to it, and there you have it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Am I the only person who takes a car to the roughest road I can find when test driving? How do you buy what is one of the most expensive "things" you will buy in your life and not make sure you like everything about it?
I was in Afghanistan at the time of purchase, like I said she likes it, but I don't. Its not one of my most expensive things I purchased (my helicopter is), but if it was,..........its no reason to have a rough ride.

·
Registered
9,541 Posts
You might take it to another dealership if the one you went to is of no help. The 20" rim will make a little firmer ride, but really nothing near like you have explained.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I will say, my 2021 SE rides nice on 20's with Continentals. The dealer gave me a loaner last week while I was in service, a 2019 Touring with 13,000 that I would say road like a dump truck. I am concerned about how these SUVs age.

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
Hello, I'm new here and this is my first post. 2020 Pilot Elite......rides like a dump truck. Is this normal? Dealer found nothing wrong, almost rides like its on solid tires and struts, very disappointed to be honest. In fact the ride is so hard that the entire vehicle sound like its falling apart. On smooth roads (new asphalt) its fine. I've lowered the tire pressure to the point where the TPMS is about to light up and still no change. Any ideas?
Try a different set of tires, such as either the General AltiMax RT43 or the Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season Plus II.
AltiMAX™ RT43
Scorpion Verde All Season Plus II tires - For SUV and Crossover | Pirelli

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
I was in Afghanistan at the time of purchase, like I said she likes it, but I don't. Its not one of my most expensive things I purchased (my helicopter is), but if it was,..........its no reason to have a rough ride.
Gotcha... and here I thought liking cars was an expensive hobby.

You can try going to another dealer but beyond that you are looking at tire compound (softer), tire size (smaller rim for taller sidewall) and changing suspension parts to soften the ride.

I'd also be having a discussion with my wife about making sure to really test drive a vehicle thoroughly before signing the paperwork. Sounds like you could handle a quick trade-in or making mods right away but who wants to do that?

·
Registered
9,541 Posts
I wonder how it'd ride with 500lbs in the back. May need breaking in like a horse. 🤠

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
I wonder how it'd ride with 500lbs in the back. May need breaking in like a horse. 🤠
Yea there's no harm in giving it a thousand miles to see if all of those factory fresh parts settle in.

Reactions: Nail Grease

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The pilot has 11k on it already, pretty sure its settled in. Oh well, I was hoping there would have been a fast fix if this was a common issue. Thank you all for the replies and advice.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
The pilot has 11k on it already, pretty sure its settled in. Oh well, I was hoping there would have been a fast fix if this was a common issue. Thank you all for the replies and advice.
With everything being fixed rate, not electronic or air, you are pretty much set with what you got.

·
Registered
9,541 Posts
My only other advice would be to hold on to it for another 15-20k. It be a huge hit in the pocket book to trade with 11k miles.

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
The "fast" fix would be a different set of tires on the existing 20" wheels - or a set of 18"wheels, such as those on the lower trim level Pilots, and tires with a taller 60-series sidewall.

If you're set on selling/trading, then test drive a Hyundai Palisade, Kia Telluride and/or Subaru Ascent.
If you don't need a (roomy) third row, test drive a Lexus RX.
Finally, if you'd be willing to move up to a more expensive luxury brand, test drive an Audi Q7 with the optional air suspension.

·
Registered
5 Posts
There's one local road that is noticably rougher and louder than others. It's not a route we use often so the ride quality change is obvious.
Historically I have noticed that some tire choices yield quieter, smoother rides (and shorter tire life!) than others.
Also I've chosen shocks based on wanting a "sportier" ride and once for a softer ride and regretted both decisions.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,541 Posts
I have never experienced a rough ride in my 2017 EX-L with 18in rims. What I found out the hard way, was that the cushy eco touring tires that Honda installed at the factory were inadequate to support the weight of my Pilot. Especially when loaded. I could not hold the recommended posted speed going into a turn. 70mph had to be 55. 60mph had to be 45-50. Very dangerous situation when in heavy traffic. I solved my problem by going to a High Performance tire that could be safely inflated with a few extra lbs of air to give a more stable ride. Safety is priority over all else. I don't feel I've sacrificed comfort or ride quality by going to a High Performance All Season tire. My comfort is having confidence in my tires ability to perform well without being beat to death by installing truck tires.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts