Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my way to work today, there is an on ramp and off ramp that share a merge lane, and I was taking that lane to exit the highway when ambulance came Racing up on the on ramp behind me getting on the highway, so I move right over to the side to get out of his way and drove over the rumble strips. These rumble strips must have been deep because I've never driven over rumble strips that shook my car THAT hard. Well, the ambulance passed, I got back on the road and headed to my work about a half mile away. I pull into the drive at work and my 03 Pilot starts to run really rough. I park it for the day, start her up at the end of the day to go home, get about 3 miles down the road and she starts to idle hard at the red light, the VTM light comes on and the CEL light comes on. I make my turn, pull into the shopping center, turn it off in D. Let it sit for about 15 mins and start it back up. CEL is steady on, but it's running fine. VTM light is off. So, I drive about 5 miles and at the next traffic light, just before it turned green, it starts to idle rough and the CEL starts flashing. So I pull into the gas station right there and get a tow to my mechanic who is closed. I just had all my plugs and coils replaced with a complete tune up not even 2 weeks ago. Timing belt and water pump replaced, new tires, an alignment, control arm bushings both sides, engine mount replaced, new shocks and struts, new cv joints and an oil change. All done at the same shop I've been going to for 25 years and I trust, all done over 3 days of work. It's been driving like a brand new car. The only thing different about today is that it was 92 degrees outside and that jostle over the rumble strips. I won't know until tomorrow what the problem is, but I'm wondering if anyone here can give me some ideas. Could something have gotten shaken loose over those strips? Why would it be running fine and then start misfiring after hitting rough road(It was REALLY rough, mind you, if someone doesn't wake up going over THOSE rumble strips, they're dead. Period.) Any input is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
4,159 Posts
First things I would check would be battery, connections at both battery posts, all positive battery connections, and all negative connections to chassis near the battery and engine block. It’s possible there was a loose electrical connection that got looser driving over those rumble strips.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,193 Posts

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
4,159 Posts
Bad electrical connections or a failing battery can result in all types of strange behavior. Its where I would start since it’s relatively easy to check.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I had a very similar thing happen to my 2005 Pilot EX, I ran a code check it it was an EGR code. It turned out that a chunk of carbon had come loose and stuck in the EGR valve which kept it from closing all the way during idle. I removed the EGR valve and could physically see the chunk and removed it. I reinstalled the valve and all was fine. I was very fortunate because the valve is easy to get to. Have you scanned for codes?

Reactions: can

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The best news Ever. I had dead spark plug. It wasn't fouled, it was just dead. They've never had a new one fail like that, so they replaced everything, coils and plugs, to be sure they weren't all bad, all at no cost. Mechanic thinks it's pure coincidence that it started immediately after hitting the rumble strips. Even still, I'm thinking of writing a letter to the DOT about that particular set of strips. Ive never had that experience over rumble strips like that. It really was equivalent to hitting a Giant pothole in the dark. I see no good reason for them to be like that. Something is not right about them. Spacing maybe or just depth, IDK, but man if you're ever on the I-290 in Williamsville NY at the Millersport Highway on/off, beware of driving over those rumble strips!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts