Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pennsylvania. Had our 2008 Pilot inspected at the Honda dealer. Was told I need rear rotors and pads replaced to pass inspection. I gave them the go-ahead. I check my repair records and see my local independent mechanic replaced both rear rotors and pads 26 months ago (Jan 2018) and we have only put 7000 miles on this car in those 26 months. I called the dealer back and was told essentially "it is what it is" and that maybe the independent mechanic used cheaper or defective parts. The dealer did the work when I am looking at the bill today.

Question 1: assuming no one is lying, does it make sense for rotors and pads to need replacing after 26 months and 7000 miles? If so, any theories why?

Question 2: The dealer charged $145 for each rotor while the local mechanic charged $49 (almost $100 difference per rotor!). Any theories as to the price difference?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and help!

·
Registered
29 Posts
The only reason you would have worn pads and rotors that quickly is because of a defective caliper that isn't retracting. About 80% of the braking force is from your front brakes so rear brakes don't wear as quickly.

·
Registered
9,742 Posts
Pennsylvania. Had our 2008 Pilot inspected at the Honda dealer. Was told I need rear rotors and pads replaced to pass inspection. I check my repair records and see my local independent mechanic replaced both rear rotors and pads 26 months ago (Jan 2018) and we have only put 7000 miles on this car in those 26 months.

Question 1: assuming no one is lying, does it make sense for rotors and pads to need replacing after 26 months and 7000 miles? If so, any theories why?
What brand(s) and versions of pads and rotors did the local independent mechanic use?
Do you drive mostly in city or stop-and-go type traffic and/or is it particularly hilly where you live?
Do you possibly brake with your left foot?

Question 2: The dealer charged $145 for each rotor while the local mechanic charged $49 (almost $100 difference per rotor!). Any theories as to the price difference?
$145 is in the range of the list price for the Honda OEM rotors.
By comparison, you can buy aftermarket rotors for as little as about $15 from an online source such as rockauto.com.
Again, it depends upon what parts the local mechanic used.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,574 Posts
I do not think that it’s possible for those parts to wear out that quickly. They ripped you off. I don’t know how PA inspections work but I recommend fighting every recommendation made.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Generally the Honda brake parts will be more expensive but they are usually better than some inexpensive aftermarket brake parts. Perhaps the independent shop used lower quality rotors + pads or failed to lube or used an incompatible lube for the caliper pins resulting in increased drag or sticking. Finally the driver may have a role or how the vehicle was used in the 7K miles. IME on some vehicles the rear brake pads tend to wear out faster than the front.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Go to Rock Auto and check how much Centric kits cost. That is your $ figure. Centric kits are better than OEM rotor and pad by a small margin.
Now, about labor, it costs virtually nothing to replace rotors and pads. It takes about 20 min per wheel in your driveway if you have jack and tools.
A decent jack is worth every $.

Now, the way I drive, I accelerate mildly, obey the speed limit, and coast to the red light traffic most of the time. It takes about 50,000 miles for me to wear a set of rotors and pads from brand new to "needs replacement". If you drive hard, they wear off much quicker. But I cannot imagine such a hard driving that they would need replacement after 7k. The dealer's response "it is what it is" is a criminal's excuse for robbing you blind.

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
It's likely too late for you to do much about it, but you can certainly complain to the highest up person at the dealer and file a complaint with Honda corporate. Unfortunately if you did not see the old brakes or have them turned over to you it's just a matter of a complaint without any evidence, which will likely carry very little weight.

All things considered, this isn't the most expensive way to learn this lesson... "SHOW ME" is the response I provide the rare time I take my vehicles somewhere for service rather than doing it myself. Usually once we get to the vehicle I get lots of stammering followed by "well it's something you should keep an eye on". Sure, will do.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,234 Posts
Go to Rock Auto and check how much Centric kits cost. That is your $ figure. Centric kits are better than OEM rotor and pad by a small margin.
IMHO, this Centric set is substantially better than OEM. Been a year and they're still as high and tight and grabby as when we first met. :)

·
Registered
337 Posts
Do you tow anything? If so, it's possible to overheat the rear rotors to the point they get glazed, which can then transfer heat and crack the pads. You can get something similar if you have a stuck caliper - but stuck calipers on BOTH rear wheels at the same time would be highly unlikely - it would be like the San Diego Padres winning the World Series AND the Cleveland Brown winning the Super Bowl the same year (possible but prolly a 1 in a billion chance).

I hope you at least demanded to see the pads and rotors on the vehicle or after they took them off - don't ever just take their word for it...

·
Registered
185 Posts
It sure sounds like you got ripped-off to me. 7000 miles...really? I replaced the four rotors and the pads on my '05 three years ago and it only set me back $111 from an ebay seller named Fast Source. That was over 30,000 miles ago and I still have plenty of meat left on the pads.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Two things:

1. Honda service departments don't fix, they replace. Which means that ~maybe 1 of your rotors or brake pad sets were wearing abnormally. So the course of action they suggest is to replace that part, but likely they "advise" changing all 4 sets of both rotors and pads.

2. Honda OEM pads and rotors are why you saw a $100 difference in parts. I did my first full replacement of all pads and rotors in my '05 last year and decided to go with OEM just for peace of mind. $610. Won't be doing that again - I'll do my research and get a non-OEM quality part for less than half the cost.

--Chris N.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts