Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Besides the mm, what are you guys rotating at? Are you doing it yourself w/ the oem jack and donut? I did minr this way last time, but it was scketchy, thinking about blocking up the jack and donut. I suffer from cant pay a guy for something I can do syndrome CPFSICDS

·
Registered
427 Posts
I went down to Walmart and bought a GM scissors jack that is exactly like the Honda jack for about $10-$12. I also back up the jacks with a set of jack stands. Now I can swap the tires on one side of the car, without using the donut spare. Rotating the tires now takes less than 15 minutes, even using a torque wrench to tighten the lugs. I can't even drive to Discount Tire in that amount of time.

I rotate every 20,000 miles.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I do mine every 5000 miles... same time I change the oil.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Every oil change is great but maybe a bit excessive. (3000 to 7000)
Every other 7000 to 15000 miles should be OK.

20,000 is getting a bit long

·
Registered
983 Posts
Combined almost 70K miles across 2 Pilots - rotate every 5k miles - fronts to rear, rears crossed to front - and the tires wear indefinitely. Michelin LTX are the tires, and any longer than 5K and you get feathering on the front tires - so frequent rotation in the "modified-X" pattern noted above gives you the longest life of all 4 tires, and the best overall wear...

I rotate in my driveway using the old donut spare (I have a full-sized spare under the rear). I then start at LR, put the donut spare on, then work around the car to RF, RR, LF, then back to LR and I'm done. I don't mess with scissor jacks - I have 2 3-ton jacks in the garage. One of them is made for SUV's and has a higher lift point - but even then it's tough to get the Pilot far enuf into the air to jack at more than a single point...

andy

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
pmcsurf1 said:
I do mine every 5000 miles... same time I change the oil.
This is what I do as well - or simply trade for a new car..........
:2: :2: :2:

·
Registered
427 Posts
andyschneider said:
Combined almost 70K miles across 2 Pilots - rotate every 5k miles - fronts to rear, rears crossed to front - and the tires wear indefinitely.
andy
With this kind of logic, if you rotate every 1,000, the tires would never wear out!

Let's face it, if the car were perfectly aligned, and the tires wore at the same rate, (front to rear, side to side) tire rotation would not be necessary. The reason you rotate tires is to average out uneven tire wear. The idea is to wear the tread evenly, one tire to the others, throughout the life of the tire set. My car tends to wear the front tires faster than the back tires. So far, my wheel alignment is darn near perfect, judging by the wear pattern. That's why I rotate at 20,000 miles. I closely watch and log tread depth, and it looks like my tires will be near replacement by 70,000 miles, or so. With my tire rotation strategy, I will have only rotated the set 3 times. If I rotated every 5,000 miles I would have rotated the set 13 times to get to the same 70,000 miles!

Rotating more often will not reduce tire wear, it just merely averages out unsymmetrical wear. Think about it: I could rotate every 50 miles, and that wouldn't change anything, in so far as set longevity is concerned.

The reason you observe feathering tires, if you extend the rotation interval, is that you can see the effect of tire misalignment more easily. The tires are feathering not as a result of an extended rotation interval, but because they are scrubbing (poor toe settings, see here.)

Proper tire inflation, balance, alignment, and weight distribution are key to tire longevity. Tire rotation will make the set of tires last longer, only if there is uneven wear in the set.

Again, the advantage of cross tire rotation, as practiced by Andy, is to balance uneven tire wear, side to side, due to gross misalignment. However, modern suspension systems are so robust and true, that alignment problems common in legacy cars, are rare in today's designs. Tire manufactures have taken notice. In fact, many tires designed for today's daily drivers are placarded against cross rotation. For example, the Michelin Hydro Edge must not be cross rotated. BTW, the Hydro Edge is designed for 90,000 miles, it's quiet, and superb in both rain and snow.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
A6Pilot said:
Let's face it, if the car were perfectly aligned, and the tires wore at the same rate, (front to rear, side to side) tire rotation would not be necessary.
Except the front tires wear the edges, especially the outer edge more and the rear wear the inner edge slightly more.

The right side tends to take slightly more abuse from potholes and other impacts and the left usually takes slightly more weight (unless you always drive with two people.

THEREFORE even with PERFECT Alignment, balance, and inflation you can not get perfectly even wear.

Rotating often enough to balance things out DOES extend the useful life of the set of tires.

Every 20,000 miles IS NOT often enough.

·
Registered
427 Posts
N_Jay said:

Every 20,000 miles IS NOT often enough.
Maybe not on your car, N-Jay, but it's worked great for me for a long time. With all due respect, be careful with those sweeping capitalized statements, as they tend to be a bit far reaching.

The idea here is to have all the tires worn down in the same fashion, and by the same amount, when it comes time to replace them. If that takes 20 rotations, or 3 (depending on your personal situation, road conditions, etc.), so be it.

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
A6Pilot said:

If that takes 20 rotations, or 3 (depending on your personal situation, road conditions, etc.), so be it.
Agree. For instance if I drove I-70 across Kansas every day, I would certainly have a different wear pattern than if I drove the "Peak-to-Peak" every day............. (there's also a huge fun-factor difference too)

:D

·
Registered
983 Posts
A6Pilot said:

Maybe not on your car, N-Jay, but it's worked great for me for a long time. With all due respect, be careful with those sweeping capitalized statements, as they tend to be a bit far reaching.

The idea here is to have all the tires worn down in the same fashion, and by the same amount, when it comes time to replace them. If that takes 20 rotations, or 3 (depending on your personal situation, road conditions, etc.), so be it.
OK - so to your first reply - if you read my post thinking that infinite rotations meant you'd never need to buy another tire, then you disappont me. The point of my post was that regular rotations would mean equal and consistent wear for all 4 tires throughout their lifetime. And for me, when they hit 6/32" inch of tread, they're gone.

Now, to this point in the reply above. I went back and looked at my notes for the past 6 vehicles I've owned - 2 Pilots, 1 Accord, 1 Civic, 1 Buick Regal, and the current Ford Freestyle. Every single one of them had what I call 'feathering" on the front tires by the time you hit 5k miles. Michelins. Pirelli's, Bridgestones, Nokians, Coopers. Every single one. What is "feathering"? Go to the front tire, put your hand on the front tire, and brush the palm from the front of the car to the back on the top of the tire. Notice the high points on the front-facing edge of the tread blocks? That's feathering - caused by the MacPhearson strut suspension. Perfect alignment results in this just due to the steering geometry. Rotating front to back does nothing to overcome this feathering, since the rotation direction is the same, and you never equalize this wear. A rotation that causes an X-rotation (either normal or modified pattern) reverses the rotation and flattens the wear. If you have a directional tire, then there's not a lot you can do.

If you have no feathering, congrats. But perhaps your "normal wear" is my "feathering" - and I won't allow that sort of wear on a set of tires I spend bucks on.. 20k rotations mean you replace the front tires twice as often as the rears, and they start to get pretty noisy by that rotation timeframe.....

andy

·
Registered
19 Posts
I guess I’m not as organized as some of you. At 5000 I change the oil and rotate the tires so I forget if it's a LOF and tires or is it just LOF?!? I don't mind doing it... it only takes 20-30 mins. I also take clean the wheels when I rotate. That gets all the brake dust off from the insides. I use 4 jack stands and a floor jack. I also get to use my impact wrench and make noises like I'm at the Daytona 500. (Sometimes I wear my son's bmx helmet and a jump suite to really get the feeling. My neighbors all gather round and watch.)
A6pilot, I'm very happy rotating my tires at 5k and it sounds like you're very happy rotating them at 20k.
God bless America.

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
But when the tires do wear out, can they be recycled into synthetic oil?:D

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
pmcsurf1 said:
It's my sick humor. If you hang around enough car forums, you note that the big debate, that occurs in multiple threads over time, is about using regular versus synthetic oil, and the oil change interval.

This is the first rotation debate I recall, on any car forum I frequent, but it appears headed in the same general direction as the oil threads. :p

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
jay said:
It's my sick humor. If you hang around enough car forums, you note that the big debate, that occurs in multiple threads over time, is about using regular versus synthetic oil, and the oil change interval.

This is the first rotation debate I recall, on any car forum I frequent, but it appears headed in the same general direction as the oil threads. :p
:2: here goes, I rotate my tires every 15,000 miles because that is also my oil change interval using Mobil 1 synthetic oil extended performance:4:

I have 117,000 miles already:1:

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
jay said:
Seems like we have a couple before, but it's been a while. We need a good tire pressure thread again soon as well!!!!

:eek:

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
SEARS SALE

Sears has a 2 1/4 ton CRAPSMAN floor jack on sale for $20. I am thinking this will work pretty good - 15" max lift enough? Anybody have one?

·
Registered
766 Posts
Re: SEARS SALE

Litemike said:
Sears has a 2 1/4 ton CRAPSMAN floor jack on sale for $20. I am thinking this will work pretty good - 15" max lift enough? Anybody have one?
15" won't be enough. I had a 2.5 ton with 14" lift and it was way short. I bought a 3 ton michelin on sale with 21" lift and it works great. Maybe someone else will chime in on the lift requirement.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts