Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to transport a mattress about 120 miles, mostly highway. I can't fold the center row down and fold the mattress due to passenger and cargo needs. Anyone ever do this and have solid suggestions for tie-down and speed? I have the factory rack and crossbars.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I just saw a link on wikihow.com . How to Move-a-Mattress. Option 5 has a rooftop view. WIthout folding and using 4 ratchet straps (two in each direction) it may work. I'll look at the spoiler too.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Rent a little trailer.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
go to your walmart pick up the 30 ft ratchet straps the 8 combo kit works great .. put the mattress on the roof over the roof rack if you have it . two are tied to the frame in the front under the front bumper run them to the back of the pilot tie them down at the trailer hitch holes. then take one tie down and run them across from each door . If you have the roof rack then tie it down accordingly.

you may want to place some heavy cardboard under those two straps that are up against the grill and hood.. prevents scratches .. the bugger will not come off .. came all the way from Alabama back to NY (1200 miles or so) no issues.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
3,024 Posts
What about rent a U-Haul truck one way (or both if cheaper)?

Whatever you do please make sure it is tied down securely so you don’t end up one of those folks who drops a load on the freeway and ruins someone else’s day.

·
Administrator
15,572 Posts
I saw a Fiat 500 with a queen mattress on it and a local furniture store logo on the side yesterday....

Whatever you do, tie it down length ways as well as across the car. Put the base on top, not the mattress. Its the Mattress that bends upwards thanks to the wind. Also, make sure that the plastic cover the mattress is shipped in is still on both pieces. Check after a few miles and retighten every strap. And avoid a rainy day......

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
What about rent a U-Haul truck one way (or both if cheaper)?

Whatever you do please make sure it is tied down securely so you don’t end up one of those folks who drops a load on the freeway and ruins someone else’s day.
see that's part of the fun watching those things pop into the air like a parachute ... ?

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Still vote for renting a trailer or a pickup from Uhaul or Home Depot...

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Still vote for renting a trailer or a pickup from Uhaul or Home Depot...
Of course!, I agree ..But I still enjoy the ones that come here like zombies not wanting to spend a dime and do the cheapest stupidest things on these forums..NOT saying this was a stupid Idea I actually did this myself with a Suburban ..much bigger vehicle the mattress alone is almost the same length as the Pilot roof if not longer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
go to your walmart pick up the 30 ft ratchet straps the 8 combo kit works great .. put the mattress on the roof over the roof rack if you have it . two are tied to the frame in the front under the front bumper run them to the back of the pilot tie them down at the trailer hitch holes. then take one tie down and run them across from each door . If you have the roof rack then tie it down accordingly.

you may want to place some heavy cardboard under those two straps that are up against the grill and hood.. prevents scratches .. the bugger will not come off .. came all the way from Alabama back to NY (1200 miles or so) no issues.
Thanks, great insight! Evaluating the options...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry for the delayed response. Since I only had the mattress to contend with and no box spring, we wound up folding the mattress in half and stuffing it into the cabin through the rear hatch. We had some small miscellaneous cargo which we wedged in around the mattress and rear seat floor. We also only had two passengers. Any more gear, a rooftop cargo box would have been needed to augment the storage demand. Thanks for all the ideas and guidance!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts