Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just made a discovery and I am not sure if it’s just me or if it’s common to all pilots. If I lower both rear windows more than half way down while leaving the front windows up and go more than 40 mph I get a tremendous shake in the top of the vehicle. Its so bad at higher speeds I am sure the entertainment system (monitor) will become inoperable if the pilot is driven this way for any time. It also causes ear pressure and leaves ones head thumping after a few seconds. Has anyone experienced this same thing?

Earl
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,113 Posts
This is common to all vehicles, and has been discussed and discussed on all the car forums I've seen. There is no fix, there will never be a fix, it's not a design problem, just don't do it.

Sorry for dumping, but this is just a non-issue that you either accept or don't, and no amount of discussion will change it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
232 Posts
There are similar threads elsewhere in this forum about this very issue, if you want to call it that. It's an inherent thing that a lot of suv's suffer just because of their profile and "design".

If you open a window on each side (in the front) the buffetting is not as bad. If you only open one side you get the ear popping experience, just as you do with both rears open. Just something you'll have to live with. :8:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry to bring up what appears to be a sore issue. I am a huge Honda fan, wife had a accord, just bought her a CRV and I just bought the Pilot. I love the SUV don't get me wrong but I think its a mistake to call this a non issue. I can think of a dozen reasons those back windows would be open without the front being down and the effect is not acceptable. I have been formally educated and practice the Toyota Motor Production System as a consultant and can tell you this is a major flaw and not something to just shrug off. As a former QC manager in a production setting I can not understand how Honda let this slip through, they have some of the best Design engineers and quality systems in the world.

Earl
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
143 Posts
Eschand--

TOYOTA (yes that's right), I repeat, TOYOTA Sequoia's have the EXACT same, windows down, vibration problems you have mentioned. I had read several complaints posted by TOYOTA Sequoia owners in one of their internet forums.

Since I was in the market for either a Pilot, MDX, Expedition or Sequoia, I recently test drove the Sequoia. Sure enough, at about 40 mph with second row windows down, a deafening vibration developed which made the headliner and roof rattle/flap.

This is NOT just a Honda issue my friend.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
54 Posts
Add Grand Cherokee to the list

I have a Jeep Grand Cherokee that vibrates with only the rear windows down as well. I think this a fact of life for most of the box type SUV designs. I find that cracking either of the front windows a couple of inches remedies the issue.
 

·
Admin Du Jour ®
Joined
·
989 Posts
My neighbor's RX300 has the same deal. So did my Jeep GC. So does my Lexus GS. Needless to say, so does my MDX :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,113 Posts
The only vehicles I've owned that didn't do this were a '71 Corrola, '71 Datsun, '79 VW, and '89 Tercel, all 2-door cars. My Toyota RAV4 and 2001 Highlander (traded for the Pilot) both exhibited this behavior.

It's not an issue, and will not be fixed. Like the doc says, "if it hurts when you do that, don't do it."
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I guess I set my standards a bit too high on this one. These is the first SUV for me, just came out of a 97 mitsu 3000gt vr4 and have never dealt with anything remotely similar to this problem before.


Earl
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
592 Posts
LOL :p on the '2-door cars' comment.

jay said:
The only vehicles I've owned that didn't do this were a '71 Corrola, '71 Datsun, '79 VW, and '89 Tercel, all 2-door cars. My Toyota RAV4 and 2001 Highlander (traded for the Pilot) both exhibited this behavior.

It's not an issue, and will not be fixed. Like the doc says, "if it hurts when you do that, don't do it."
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
61 Posts
PASSPORT DID TOO!!

My Passport always had the vibration, and my wife's 2002 Honda Civic EX does the same thing!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Not sure how this can be a non issue. Just because other SUV's have the same problem. So because other vehicle have this defect it is alright in the pilot?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
176 Posts
It is AIR!

I don't care want kind of production techinques you use, the laws of fluid dynamics are inviolate, just like the law of universal gravitation.

If you move a big honking boxy object through a fluid it will create a presure wave. When that pressure wave encounters a flow irregularity (i. e. an open window) that pressure wave will resonate through the cavity (i.e. vehicle interior). If you are going fast enough even a streamlined object will create a big enough pressure wave -- see "sonic boom". I suppose there are ways to make it less noticeable to passengers, but the fix would either a) reduce interior volume (accoustic foam the whole headliner to abvout 10" from ceiling ) b) neccessitate bizare forced ventilation controls(where computer turns on mega fans whenever window open at speed) c) be so costly as to make the vehicle unafforable except to governement (sleath fighter design)

You need to use the HVAC system at speed! If you want better fuel economy you need to keep to the windows shut.

I sure as hell hope they don't "design away" this situation, becuase the ONLY way to completely eliminate the effect would be to make the window FIXED, as in "You CANNOT OPEN THEM!!!".
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,113 Posts
Hey, ronclem25

You picked the wrong topic to make your first post, thinking this is an issue. It is not. It is just a waste of Internet bandwidth, and a way for me to get closer to 30 posts and member status. :^)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
61 Posts
Re: It is AIR!

renov8r said:
I don't care want kind of production techinques you use, the laws of fluid dynamics are inviolate, just like the law of universal gravitation.

I sure as hell hope they don't "design away" this situation, becuase the ONLY way to completely eliminate the effect would be to make the window FIXED, as in "You CANNOT OPEN THEM!!!".
Only a true engineer could have said this. Yep wind will make the whole car vibrate when it doesn't have an even flow.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
411 Posts
Toyota

Then you know about the Toyota Highlander. The "buffetting" effect is the only major issue with the Highlander. I experienced myself on a testdrive. It actually HURTS your ears. The salesman would not admit to the problem, until I rolled down the back windows. He pleaded with me to roll them back up.

This was actually one of the reasons I waited for the Pilot. Now I just have to decide between the Highlander and Pilot. (Both great vehicles, IMHO)

eschand said:
Sorry to bring up what appears to be a sore issue. I am a huge Honda fan, wife had a accord, just bought her a CRV and I just bought the Pilot. I love the SUV don't get me wrong but I think its a mistake to call this a non issue. I can think of a dozen reasons those back windows would be open without the front being down and the effect is not acceptable. I have been formally educated and practice the Toyota Motor Production System as a consultant and can tell you this is a major flaw and not something to just shrug off. As a former QC manager in a production setting I can not understand how Honda let this slip through, they have some of the best Design engineers and quality systems in the world.

Earl
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top