Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm trying to decide if I want to add rails and crossbars to my "naked" 2019 Pilot roof, or just add the roof rack. Both of these are factory accessories; I'm not asking about after market parts. Just to be clear, the Honda roof rack looks like crossbars that mount directly to the grooves where the rails would go. The price for rails plus crossbars is $600-700 versus 300.00 for the "roof rack." Anybody installed just this roof rack? Picture attached is of the roof rack.
Honda roof rack without rails.png

·
Registered
2020 Honda Pilot Black Edition
70 Posts
Hi, I'm trying to decide if I want to add rails and crossbars to my "naked" 2019 Pilot roof, or just add the roof rack. Both of these are factory accessories; I'm not asking about after market parts. Just to be clear, the Honda roof rack looks like crossbars that mount directly to the grooves where the rails would go. The price for rails plus crossbars is $600-700 versus 300.00 for the "roof rack." Anybody installed just this roof rack? Picture attached is of the roof rack. View attachment 134036
In my opinion, the roof rails with crossbars is the way to go. Not only does it look better, to me it's more secure or more sturdy.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I installed the roof rack on my 18 Pilot earlier last fall. Just used it on an 800 mile trip and was happy with the limited wind noise. I think it was a bit under $300 on Ebay.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I installed the roof rack on my 18 Pilot earlier last fall. Just used it on an 800 mile trip and was happy with the limited wind noise. I think it was a bit under $300 on Ebay.
Are those ski/snowboard carriers attached? I would like to use something like that in the winter, then replace them with a cargo box in the summer for camping. Just wondering if the roof rack alone is sturdy enough for this.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In my opinion, the roof rails with crossbars is the way to go. Not only does it look better, to me it's more secure or more sturdy.
I'm trying to decide if cosmetics are worth an extra 300-400, but really the main thing I am considering is the second part of your comment,...how stable it is.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Are those ski/snowboard carriers attached? I would like to use something like that in the winter, then replace them with a cargo box in the summer for camping. Just wondering if the roof rack alone is sturdy enough for this.
Yes, Its an old Thule ski rack that I've had for awhile. The rack is pretty sturdy but you may want to make sure you can open the hatch with a cargo box installed. I have 188cm skis and it clears the hatch with several inches to spare.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I just had to move an aluminum shed this weekend and the guy I was working with had a roof rack - I don't. We were able to set the shed foundation frame on the rack (split in 2) and saved a TON of work that would have required dismantling the entire frame into it's individual pieces.... I think I want a rack now....

·
Registered
2017 Pilot EX AWD
10 Posts
I have a Yakima rack with the aero style crossbars. It is plenty strong. I've had a Skybox 12 and 18 mounted on at different times loaded to the max weight cap. The only gripe I have is that Yakima and Thule both seem to use torque tools that I usually spend 20 minutes locating each time I go to install the rack. The neighbor has the factory rails on her 2018 and the only real difference in use is that her's don't have the same wind noise and the cross bars flex a little more.

If you will use them often, go with the OEM rail setup. If you only need them every so often and want a little better compatibility with different boxes, carriers, cages, etc, go with the rack.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Roof racks here. I can’t seem to find the webpage that went into more detail, but apparently the bolts used to secure the basic roof rack are more substantial than the other option. Also I’ve read the roof rail option you can’t even slide the crossbars as you would expect. I feel like the money saved was worth it, and I honestly like the look of it better now.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Anyone try mounting an aftermarket roof rack to the mounting bolts? Along the same idea as the OEM Roof Rack mounting straight to the bolts.

I've got a Yakima system and would love to just buy new Landing Pads as opposed to paying $400+ for the OEM Roof Rails.
Side question - Anyone install the OE Roof Rails from ebay? Looks like the brands are Broadfeet or X-Parts? Considering going this route since they are $200 cheaper, but I want to make sure they fit right.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Anyone try mounting an aftermarket roof rack to the mounting bolts? Along the same idea as the OEM Roof Rack mounting straight to the bolts.

I've got a Yakima system and would love to just buy new Landing Pads as opposed to paying $400+ for the OEM Roof Rails.
Side question - Anyone install the OE Roof Rails from ebay? Looks like the brands are Broadfeet or X-Parts? Considering going this route since they are $200 cheaper, but I want to make sure they fit right.

I ordered these. Fits just a tad tight but other than that, bolts on exactly as described.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts

I ordered these. Fits just a tad tight but other than that, bolts on exactly as described.

HI Rafflesian,
Those Cross Bars seem to be from the same seller so I'm guessing the rails would fit too?

Part of my dilemma is I don't have the rails yet but I do have a Yakima rack (towers & cross bars). The problem is how to connect the Yakima rack to the car. Apparently the only way is $400 OEM side rails (or the $200 aftermarket ones). Unless someone has found a Yakima Landing Pad that connects directly to the mounting bolts on the Pilot roof.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Who is the seller on these? I searched the exact title as listed but couldn't find anything listed for this price. Several other came up that were close, but they have no reviews so I'm leery.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I'd love to get more information on a rack / rack system. This is something I would like to pursue for my Pilot, although not an emergency item by any means, still something I want to do.

·
Registered
24 Posts
To Julia A, another thing to consider is whether or not the rack system you're seeking needs to be removeable or not. In my case, I installed the roof rails and purchased the silver cross rails (non-oem) that I just occasionally install so I can mount a Yakima Ski rack to... my cross bars don't stay on the entire year, nor do I keep my Ski rack on when it's not being used during the winter. The Honda OEM rack that you install directly to the roof wasn't an option yet when I purchased my 2019, but I'd ask other posters on this forum that do have the direct mount rack what, if any, of that rack can be removed when it's not needed. The roof rails give a nice clean look when nothing else is attached. Good luck.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts