Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a Pilot but I chose not to buy the crossbars, bicycle attachment, or roof box because I thought I could get a good quality Thuele for a cheaper price.

Does anyone have info on roof rack options for the Pilot or are we forced to buy Honda parts?

Thanks

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have ordered the Thule 754 rack system and will also pick up the Thule Evolution 1600. I have it on order and hope to have it installed by next weekend. Check out the Thule web site, the site allows you to select your car by model/year to see what Thule racks and boxes will fit. Prices are also available, although I have been finding that the bike shops here in NY that carry Thule don't come off the MSRP.

You might also want to do a search on this site, there are a few threads regarding thule, Yakima etc.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks to everyone who replied. I checked out that thule website, http://www.thuleracks.com/, and found it to be excellent.

It looks like you can save quite a bit of money buying a rack system afterwards. The thule systems look much stronger than Honda's but they don't look as sleek and as pleasing.

I'm going to check out the yakima site as well but I am impressed with thule. Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
385 Posts
run a search here on "yakima" and "thule". There's some good info with pics.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I looked at the posts on Thule and Yakima, and found them very helpful. I am interested to obtain either the Yakima Low Riders, with 58" rails, and a Yakima Rocketbox; or the Thule 754 Rapid Railing Carrier, and the Thule Mountaineer. Both boxes are long, and prior posts suggest that the boxes might touch the rear spoiler when the rear door is opened.

For both Thule and Yakima, do new holes have to be drilled in the boxes in order to move the boxes forward so that the rear spoiler won't hit the boxes when the real door is opened?

How does the Yakima Windjammer perform in comparison to the wider Yakima fairings? I do not think Thule has something comparable to the Windjammer. If the Windjammer is effective, it might convince me to pick Yakima over Thule. Is this a fair justification?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Well I had the Thule 754 and Evolution 1600 installed this past weekend and no new holes had to be drilled in the box to clear the rear spoiler - it has more than enough room.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
But with both the THULE and YAKIMA racks ... if you want to use their bicycle mounts ... you have to use their cross bars ...

PrG

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I didn't know the Honda crossbars meant you had to get a Honda roof box or bicycle attachment. Very good information. Thanks!

Also, RTC27, I hope you don't mind my asking but did you pay the msrp on your rack and roof box ($199 usd and $399 usd). Just curious if negotiation is possible on these accessories. Thanks again.

·
Registered
21 Posts
PWC,

I had no luck in negotiating the price on the 754 and 1600. I called 10 shops in my area and all were charging the msrp. The only places where I saw it cheaper were some online sites but be careful the shipping and handling might be high. I even tried using the prices I found on the web with the local shops but they were not budging off msrp. I did get installation at no additional charge - it only took them 20 minutes or so to put it on. But they took some time to demonstrate how to get it on and off etc.

The web site below had the Thule boxes at a discount and offered free shipping but they could not assure me that I would get it in time for Thanksgiving. If you can wait they may be an option. Let me know how it goes.

http://www.bbskis.com/

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
rtc27

Thanks for the info.

I'll probably go for the Thule like yourself. Too bad they don't move much on the prices. Still, it's a little cheaper than the Honda racks.

pwc

·
Registered
481 Posts
Thule Discounts

REI has some sales on Thule and Yakima racks, boxes and accessories every so often.

If you are not in a hurry to get the rack equipment right now, you may want to wait until the next time that REI offers 20% off their supply of Thule products.

We have an REI store in our area, but you can also check out their products online at www.rei.com

·
Registered
311 Posts
Just a note on the Thule rack. I have the newer one that mounts on the Pilot rails. It is very very noisy. The first time riding in the Pilot, my mother inlaw said: "what is all that wind noise?"

It is so loud that I take it off when I'm not using it. I saw posts in other threads that indicated that Yakima has a smaller wind deflector type attachment for the front bar that works very well. It is less obtrusive than the Thule fairing. If you can go either with a Yak or a Thule I would recommend that you check it out. I'd switch if I didn't already have a big collection of Thule carrier options - Mountainer(?) box (the big one), ski racks, kayak rack, bike racks. Puchetti indicated that he found a generic type attachment that went over the front bar at a rack store, but I have not seen one around here. I'm still searching for a solution without adding the fairing, but I may need to do that. By the way, you can mount a Thule box on a Honda rack according to the place where I bought mine.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have also found that there is considerable wind noise when the cargo box is not on the rack. I haven't taken the rack off yet but after this weekend I think I will and put it back on when I need it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Factory crossbars are very quiet

I installed the factory crossbars shortly after we got our Pilot back in June (they were a pain to install). We are finally going to make some use of them. I ordered a thule evolution 1600 box from www.bbskis.com yesterday. Anyway, the nice thing about the factory crossbars is that they are very quiet. I am hoping that the thule evolution box with it's aerodynamic design will be equally quiet. :4:

·
Registered
16 Posts
The Thule box does fit on the Pilot crossbars?

Just double checking. I hate to make assumptions.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was wondering about that too. PRG said that if you use Honda crossbars, you cannnot use the Thule bicycle attachment.
Maybe the Thule roof box is compatible. Either way, it would be good to know.

·
Registered
30 Posts
One thing to keep in mind about the Yakima and Thule racks is that they belong to you and not the car. When you sell the car, you can keep the rack and use it on your next vehicle.

You may pay a little more up front, but it's a one-time investment. I'm getting a set of Lowriders to adapt the Yakima to the Pilot after using SST towers on our old Caravan. The aftermarket racks are made for long life, and I intend to keep mine for a very long time.
:)

·
Registered
481 Posts
Yes, while the Thule bike and ski attachments will not necessarily fit on the Honda crossbars or the Yakima bars, the Thule box will. On our Thule Mountaineer box, there is one setting (of the attachment bolts) for the Thule bars and a wider one for OEM racks (which tend to be wider, I s'pose).

·
Registered
481 Posts
What I'm curious about is if there is less wind noise with the Yakima bars (round) vs. the Thule bars (square).

Any experience with using both types of bars on the same vehicle at different times?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thule box with factory crossbars

I ordered the Thule Evolution 1600 box with the intention of mounting it on the factory crossbars. I'll let you know if it works out. After viewing the installation instructions on the Thule web site I can not see any reason that it won't work. The u-bolts look to be wide enough to go around the crossbars. The EX crossbars have a rating of 150 lbs. With a box that weighs less than 40 lbs I'll still be able to load 110 lbs of cargo up top. I am not sure that I would want more weight than that on the roof anyway. Raising your center of gravity in an SUV can't be a great idea. :eek:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts