Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

Roof rack install, plastic screws sheared off

4K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  sequoiasoon 
#1 ·
Well darn. Trying to install the crossbars on the roof rack and every single one of the plastic placeholder screws sheared off at the head when I removed them. I thought they were buttons until I was unable to get the metal screws to go in. Does anyone know how to get them out?

#2 ·
Use a prick punch and hammer to put a punch mark in the center of the broken screw. Get a drill that's a bit smaller than the smallest diameter of the screw and very carefully drill it out with a hand drill. That might loosen it up enough to use a phillips head screwdriver jammed into the opening to back it out. If not, then try using a pick or small screwdriver to break out the remaining threads.

#5 ·
Drill out the center of the broken screw, as Matt suggests above. Use a bit about 1/2 the diameter of the screw. Then use a screw extractor to back out the threads. This tool has a left hand tapered twist. Tap it into the drilled hole and turn it back out. Harbor freight should have them.

#8 ·
Consider some never seize version on the screws you installed in case you ever want to remove them for some reason before they rust/corrode in there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.