Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I'm looking to add some roof rails and/or crossbars to my 2017 Pilot. Is this doable by a moderately handy DIY'er, or is it recommended to take it to a shop for install?

Secondly, should I go with OEM/Honda parts on it or are there some decent aftermarket options? Preferably on the cheaper side... I'm not hauling heavy items, and a quick Google is showing prices of $350+ for the rails alone, not including the crossbars... ouch!

What should I expect to pay for adding a trailer hitch to the back?

If I'm pulling a Uhaul trailer or something similar, will that interfere with the automatic rear door?

Thanks! Alex

·
Registered
2019 Pilot Elite
498 Posts
Search through the tow hitch threads and you'll find more than you need to know.

It's fairly easy to diy, you just need to decide whether you want to buy a uhaul hitch or OEM?

You'll find pictures as you browse.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I did save some extra money to get the OEM hitch and oem wire on my 2016 pilot. The look is better the clearance is better you get a better finish imo. I will only tow my 4x8 trailer but maybe some day i will tow something bigger.

·
Registered
2019 Pilot EX-L AWD, 265-60-18 Defender LTX M/S
523 Posts
doable by moderately handy, no issue. Factory hitch for me looks much better and factory wiring harness that matches.
Read the posts for the racks. '19 and up have the option of "Base Carrier" for much cheaper than the rails and crossbars. I think one or two members confirmed that it fits on the '16-18 also and installed it. I know when I looked the side rails are the same part# for all those years so no reason that the base carrier shouldn't fit it since it bolts to same spots.

I added the "base carrier" to my '19. Check Bernardi Honda and College Hills Honda for the prices. Your dealer MIGHT match, mine didn't and was almost 2x the price so I tend to order some of these things.

College Hills Roof Accessories

I actually like how the side rails look and hide the bars a bit BUT they don't change anything on where bars attached for spacing, they are not adjustable and don't provide any added tie down spots (openings) so for $300 more definitely not worth it IMO.

You can check CAR-PART.com for wrecks near you to get all of it cheaper possibly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts