Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Pilot SE 4WD
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a 2008 Pilot SE with 80k miles on it. Now I need to find a cross bar for the roof so I can put it to use skiing this winter! I looked into the OEM cross bars, but they are discontinued. Thule and Yakima make some options, and there are various questionable ones on Ebay.

Any recommendations on cross bars? I will put a roof box on it for much of the year, and a canoe in the summer.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,264 Posts
Got my crossbars off Kijiji. Maybe you can get lucky there, too. Or at a salvage yard.

BTW, welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
143 Posts
If you're looking for OEM crossbars that fit an '05 (not sure if they fit an '08 but should), I have an extra pair I'm trying to get rid of. I live in CO, and it looks like you're in Canada, so I'd have to ship it and I have no idea how much that would cost. PM me if you're interested.

Also - the crossbars themselves screw into tabs that slide along the length of the already-there front-to-back rails. Make sure you get four of those or you won't be able to connect the crossbars.

--Chris N.

·
Registered
695 Posts

·
Registered
9,264 Posts
^^^^ Nice finds. (y)

Back in my day, Walmart wasn't really into third party sellers on their site. As for eBay, although it's nice to see the prices have come down, presumably because the demand for 1st gen stuff is dwindling and they don't want to be left with that increasingly useless stock, as can often be the case the seller doesn't want to ship to the OP in Canada, and even if he did the cost of shipping might be a dealbreaker.

·
Registered
2007 Pilot EXL, 2012 Civic LX, 2007 VTX1300C
205 Posts
in the realm of cross bars you get what you pay for. do you want something sturdy and quiet or something flimsy and loud?
here are some I bought for my Pilot over the summer to haul an 18 ft. kayak. the weight of the boat causes the bars to sag slightly but the price was right so I'm dealing with it. also they make some noise at highway speeds but not enough to really make me remove them.
Roof Rack Cross Bars Luggage Carrier Black for Honda Pilot 2003-2008 | eBay

·
Registered
9,264 Posts
Subtotal (1 item) $89.90
Shipping $32.00
Order total $121.90 (US$, of course)

At least those guys ship to Canada (from Houston) and the shipping cost is reasonable.

·
Registered
9,264 Posts
Found this OEM set in Toronto for CDN $85. Ask him how much for shipping.

·
Registered
2008 Pilot SE 4WD
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow, thanks for the fantastic responses here! Yes, to be clear, there are lots of OEM-style options out there — but it's hard to tell which ones are actually good quality as @undivide mentioned. The reviews are often positive — and then one person randomly mentioning that the connectors are flimsy and made of plastic. :oops:

The other option is to move to a third-party solution like Thule. I'm a little tempted to do that as the crossbars go beyond the width of the rails, and they are also flat. But the price is exponentially higher.

·
Registered
2008 Pilot SE 4WD
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
2008 Pilot SE 4WD
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
in the realm of cross bars you get what you pay for. do you want something sturdy and quiet or something flimsy and loud?
here are some I bought for my Pilot over the summer to haul an 18 ft. kayak. the weight of the boat causes the bars to sag slightly but the price was right so I'm dealing with it. also they make some noise at highway speeds but not enough to really make me remove them.
Roof Rack Cross Bars Luggage Carrier Black for Honda Pilot 2003-2008 | eBay
These ones look good. I don't really like the idea of increased noise though; that was one of the reasons we moved up from our beloved 2004 CRV. :D Oddly this one says it's not compatible with sunroofs, but our rails are well above the roof so I don't really see why the sunroof would be an issue.

·
Registered
2008 Pilot SE 4WD
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I ordered those cross bars from Toronto and they don't fit. I even confirmed the product number. How very frustrating.

·
Registered
9,264 Posts
Scammed by a Torontonian? Cancel your payment.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you're looking for OEM crossbars that fit an '05 (not sure if they fit an '08 but should), I have an extra pair I'm trying to get rid of. I live in CO, and it looks like you're in Canada, so I'd have to ship it and I have no idea how much that would cost. PM me if you're interested.

Also - the crossbars themselves screw into tabs that slide along the length of the already-there front-to-back rails. Make sure you get four of those or you won't be able to connect the crossbars.

--Chris N.
I live in CO have an 06 with no crossbars.
What’s your price and location?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts