Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some questions for those that have "functional" racks on their Pilots.

1. What is the weight capacity of the factory rack?

2. Do Thule or Yakima racks have higher weight capacities?

3. If you have a Thule or Yakima rack, what are the longest load bars you can practically put on a Pilot (ie. The bars won't be walloping pedestrians while I drive).

I'd like to configure a rack so that it has two kayaks and a storage box on it, but, I have no idea if there'll be enough space. Both Thule and Yakima make cradles that hold kayaks at an upright angle so in theory it seems possible.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
964 Posts
3.14159265-lot said:
I have some questions for those that have "functional" racks on their Pilots.

1. What is the weight capacity of the factory rack?

2. Do Thule or Yakima racks have higher weight capacities?

3. If you have a Thule or Yakima rack, what are the longest load bars you can practically put on a Pilot (ie. The bars won't be walloping pedestrians while I drive).

I'd like to configure a rack so that it has two kayaks and a storage box on it, but, I have no idea if there'll be enough space. Both Thule and Yakima make cradles that hold kayaks at an upright angle so in theory it seems possible.

Any thoughts?
I can help you with #1. 150 pounds. You can try doing a search for Yakima and Thule. I do remember seeing others who have installed them and a couple listed the part numbers. Sorry I couldn't be of more help!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Bike on roof + luggage basket

I have the Honda Pilot luggage basket and keep it on all the time. I'd like to find a way to put my mountain bike on the roof without removing the luggage basket. Anybody have ideas or tried it yet?

·
Registered
336 Posts
More than the rack capacity, consider the consequence of excess weight on the top of a tall vehicle; a sharp turn, especially combined with the 'wrong' road, can easily make you turn turtle.

Regardless of rack capacity, more than 100# of weight that high up is likely to give you a nasty surprise...

·
Registered
60 Posts
Turtle turn

Ok... So I don't know what a turtle turn is... Sheltered Californian I guess. So what is a turtle turn?

My mountain bike weighs 20 lbs. Without the front wheel it probably drops to 19... I'm not too worried about the weight. The luggage rack is pretty darn light too, only about 17lbs.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Re: Turtle turn

davedela said:
OK... So I don't know what a turtle turn is... Sheltered Californian I guess. So what is a turtle turn?
It's turning on its back. Most turtles have a difficult time getting themselves upright when turned on the back of their shells; some will even die if left in such a position.

Originally posted by davedela My mountain bike weighs 20 lbs. Without the front wheel it probably drops to 19... I'm not too worried about the weight. The luggage rack is pretty darn light too, only about 17lbs.
This should present no problems whatsoever. The concern is getting 150+# on the roof and taking corners aggressively. With that kind of dynamics, handling is likely to be a handful.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Thule Rack

I have a Thule rack system with the 58" load bars. I am 6'4" and the longer bars would definitely come into play for me. Even with a Thule or Yak system, they are attached to the roof rails in most cases, and probably shouldn't exceed the vehicle restrictions.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Thule Rack Observation

What you want to do is possible.

This summer I saw a Volvo station wagon with a 2 kayaks and a Thule Cascade (narrow) box all mounted onto a Thule rack.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I've got a Yakima system with various parts / configurations. Up to four mountain bikes, or a ski rack, or a Yakima Load Warrior full of camping gear.

One thing the Yakima Rep made clear was never exceed the wieght limit of the Pilot's factory roof rails...150 lbs.

I've heard some people haul slightly more by adding another set of towers above the front doors to spread the load. Especially when carrying kayaks. Two mounting points on the factory rack. One additional point above the front doors. I'm not sure I'd be comfortable at highway speeds with that much stuff up there!:eek:

·
Registered
263 Posts
I seem to recall that the EX Pilot rack is rated at 165 pounds, not 150.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Last I heard, and It might have changed by now is....

LX model - 100 lbs
EX model - 150 lbs.

·
Registered
231 Posts
i was intending to install the crossbars today. however, according to the directions i'm supposed to slide the holders back aligning them with a mark on the inside of the roof rails. i couldn't see the marks. can anyone help, or maybe measure how far back your crossbars are from the front and i'll place mine the same distance.

·
Registered
61 Posts
They are very small black dots (indentations). If you look hard, you'll see them.

·
Registered
231 Posts
kbusaf,

thanks. found those little suckers. however, can't get past step one of instructions. when i press in the retaining tab the front cover does not come off. tried both sides. do i keep the pressure on with the screwdriver or is something inside supposed to release?(i can feel the little piece inside moving ) or do i need a second screwdriver to pry off the cover? didn't want to break anything so stopped to ask the smart people on this forum. and no, i am not a mechanic!

·
Registered
61 Posts
It sounds like you are doing right. After I put a screwdriver in the slot, the cap slid right off (towards the front of the pilot) You might have to jiggle a little. I'm sure you have these already but here's a link to the instructions. http://www.handaccessories.com/pilot/crossbars.pdf Also make sure you put the correct one in the front and they are facing the correct way or you will have noise (whistling) issues.

·
Registered
61 Posts
It might help to put a little downward pressure as you push it forward.

·
Registered
231 Posts
kbusaf,

the slide forward worked. although i'd looked/read the directions i missed the black arrow indicating move(slide) forward. still took me an hour as i had to make a trip to the hardware store to get the right size torex for that one little screw. got it out by chance with the wrong size on one side. second side started to slip(strip) causing me to realize i didn't have the correct size. for me one trip to the hardware is usually two less than normal!!
thanks again.

·
Registered
71 Posts
65" Bars No Problem

I have 65" Thule bars on my LX rack and I'm 6'1" - no problem. Even an NBA star would have to do some major gyrations to hit the bar unless they were getting into the back seat by jumping off a curb.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Longer bars pictured

Been meaning to post these to illustrate why long Thule bars work well on the Pilot (LX rack, anyway

Front view

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts