Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellas,

I didn't buy the roof cross bars when I purchased my pilot. Now that the winter season has arrived - I need to get one so I can fit my friend's ski rack on it.

I've heard mixed reviews about the stock (honda) cross bars. Something about it makes wind noises and such. Anyone has any suggestion as to which kind of cross bars that I should buy - also where to buy? Thanks.

Gary

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
loosenut: A search of the honda-pilot.org site using the term YAKIMA will reveal many threads that discuss and cuss the pros/cons on the Yakima crossbars...

Here is a picture of Bulldog's Yakima bars and fairing:

Attachments

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
loosenut: A search of the honda-pilot.org site using the term THULE will reveal many threads that discuss and cuss the pros/cons on the Thule crossbars...

Here is a picture of slick2's Thule bars and fairing:

Attachments

·
Registered
496 Posts
loosenut said:
Hey fellas,

I didn't buy the roof cross bars when I purchased my pilot. Now that the winter season has arrived - I need to get one so I can fit my friend's ski rack on it.

I've heard mixed reviews about the stock (honda) cross bars. Something about it makes wind noises and such. Anyone has any suggestion as to which kind of cross bars that I should buy - also where to buy? Thanks.

Gary
I haven't noticed any wind noise that I would say is from the crossbars, but a friend of mind pointed out (after I bought them, of course :3: ) that the OEM crossbars screw in (and, therefore, can be unscrewed to liberate one's gear). So, he recommended getting crossbars that lock. I haven't looked into that, yet.

kad

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Backward installation = wind noise

I believe most of the instances of wind noise were attributable to the cross bars being installed backwards. The cross bars are aerodynamically designed with a thicker leading edge.

I've not noticed any wind noise and I had a Yakima rocket box mounted on the factory cross bars.

wind noise = backward installation thread

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Re: Backward installation = wind noise

sfhondapilot said:
I believe most of the instances of wind noise were attributable to the cross bars being installed backwards. The cross bars are aerodynamically designed with a thicker leading edge.
I've seen this mentioned in several posts. I didn't install my crossbars but they appear symmetrical and I don't see any mention of this in the installation instructions. :8:

https://hondacuraworld.hostasaurus.com/Merchant2/instructions/pilot/roofrackcrossbars.pdf

If there is a difference between the leading and trailing edges, it is imperceptibly slight. Is it more obvious before they are installed?

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
Re: Re: Backward installation = wind noise

krygny said:
I've seen this mentioned in several posts. I didn't install my crossbars but they appear symmetrical and I don't see any mention of this in the installation instructions. :8:

https://hondacuraworld.hostasaurus.com/Merchant2/instructions/pilot/roofrackcrossbars.pdf

If there is a difference between the leading and trailing edges, it is imperceptibly slight. Is it more obvious before they are installed?
krygny: In the PDF installation instructions, here is an excerpt from the diagram that (very subtly) splains the Wide and Narrow portions of the crossbars and which one should face the FRONT:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Pic

Here's a pic. Notice how the leading edge of the cross bar (the right side) is narrower than the trailing edge, when measured against the middle strip.

The OEM sticker on the cross bar says "FRONT". :D

Attachments

·
Registered
54 Posts
Could someone really remove the OEM crossbars just using a screwdriver? If so, how long would that take a thief to do?

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
max_501 said:
Could someone really remove the OEM crossbars just using a screwdriver? If so, how long would that take a thief to do?
Here's a link to installation instructions. You'll need a torx driver. Based on what's involved to install the bars, I don't see a "smart" thief even trying, as it would take a little time.

·
Registered
152 Posts
jay said:
Here's a link to installation instructions. You'll need a torx driver. Based on what's involved to install the bars, I don't see a "smart" thief even trying, as it would take a little time.
The bars are only held on with the torx bolt - unloosen both bolts on each bar and the bars simply lift off the sliders attached to the side rails. Getting the sliders off takes some disassembly and time, but a thief wouldn't care about the sliders.

The Honda crossbars do make a little wind noise, but I only notice the noise because I had a Thule rack on my Accord that made a lot of noise.

MarkB

·
Registered
496 Posts
Would it be possible to make the OEM bars more secure in some way or would a replacement be in order?

I don't do that much that requires the roof rack, so it's not a huge deal for me.

kad

·
Registered
54 Posts
If you are certain that you won't be removing your crossbars you could fill in the torx screw holes with a bit of epoxy. It wouldn't be perfect, but it might keep someone from being able to remove the screws quickly.

·
Registered
496 Posts
max_501 said:
If you are certain that you won't be removing your crossbars you could fill in the torx screw holes with a bit of epoxy. It wouldn't be perfect, but it might keep someone from being able to remove the screws quickly.
Excellent idea - I didn't even think of that :1pat:

kad

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Backward installation = wind noise

kemosabe said:
krygny: In the PDF installation instructions, here is an excerpt from the diagram that (very subtly) splains the Wide and Narrow portions of the crossbars and which one should face the FRONT:
D'OH! Missed that. Guilty of not RTFMing.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
max_501 said:
You may not want to remove the cross bars, but you may want to maintain the ability to adjust the distance between the bars. Once filled with epoxy, this may be a little difficult to do.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
sfhondapilot said:
You may not want to remove the cross bars, but you may want to maintain the ability to adjust the distance between the bars. Once filled with epoxy, this may be a little difficult to do.
OK, before we all go off the deep end of the worry meter.

Has anyone here ever had a set of cross bars stolen?

(And if they were my insurance would cover them) :2:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yakima currently does not make mighty mounts that connect the pilot crossbars to the clamshell style ski racks. I bought the crossbars expecting to use them with my Yakima rack and now will have to look into Thule.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts