Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This one actually caught me off guard. Didn't even think about it - just figured if it had roof racks, or rails - no problem. My new to me 2014 has the factory roof side rails. I did try searching through the forum for suggestions... too much misc info. Thought I would put cross bars on and use my old Yakima Rocket Box. But no, rails are way too rearward mounted - open rear hatch will hit box. I know there is the moon roof forward on the roof (box would be way above that), and probably some engineer thought about weight distribution way too hard. I need to use a longer cargo box, it only goes on in the winter for skis (off all summer) and some of those older cross country skis push 7' long, and I need to open the rear hatch - can't fit or lift the big dog up through hatch window opening, and just gear access in general. Is this a design deficiency or am I missing something? Is it just a matter of taking measurements and finding something that works? Front of box would be hanging way forward of front cross bar, flapping in the wind ?? Has anyone come up with a good solution to the similar issue I'm experiencing, like maybe a particular box? Thanks

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
For sure, the 2nd gen Pilot roof rack is more about style and overlanding metal cargo trays then long roof boxes. I have a Thule Evolution 1600 (not my Pilot below but the same box I have). I move it forward, open the rear hatch and move it back until it's within a couple inches then lock it down. It's pretty close to being at the farthest mounting holes and has been fine for our couple hour trips. We use the Traverse for longer trips and it allows me to use the farthest apart mounting holes, so I can't comment on all day long driving but I wouldn't hesitate as long as the minimum distances in the mounting instructions are met.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have long Thule box that goes over the back edge of the Pilot using the factory rack. I stick a thick piece of soft foam between the hatch and the box when I open the back hatch. Been doing this for years with no problems first on an 08 and then 11 Pilot. Yes the rear hatch does not go up all the way but its a compromise to use the rack this way. Same with boards and kayaks. The glass pops up on my 11 which is helpful.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
570 Posts
You can use a spacer between the rear crossbar and the box, in conjunction with some longer U-bolts to hold the box down. This lifts the rear of the box just enough for clearance. I'm also using a Yakima RocketBox with Yakima crossbars. It's been up there like that, both loaded to the brim and empty without incident for 25k miles plus.

I made the spacer from wood, narrow enough to slide through the new U-bolts to keep it in place, long enough to go full side-to-side. I think it's about 1.5" tall. Hatch opens without interference or scuffing on my roof spoiler. I wanted the box as far back as possible to make it easy to load while standing on the rear tire.

I assume the same idea would work on a gen-2, but I'm not sure.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ya good one, I know certain cross bars raise up higher than others, and then add a spacer-riser buys even more room. My Rocket Box is 20 years old, the cross bar locations underneath are molded in and spaced far apart, and the box goes back like another 30" from the rear cross bar location - not even close to fitting up there. I could possibly drill/rig new cross bar locations on the box - in additon to raising it. Was just in town and saw a relatively newer Pilot Elite, the roof side rails go waaaay farther forward - they figured it out, finally.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts