Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - I’ve seen a lot of threads on cargo boxes - but wondering if anyone knows how to stop them from bouncing in the wind at highway speeds? I have a Yakima Skybox Carbonite 18 on a 2019 EXL. It fits nicely and is locked solid to the factory cross bars. Not sure how to attach pics but here’s a video of the problem taken through the sunroof. https://vimeo.com/302634321/description

·
Registered
270 Posts
Was it loaded when you took the video? i have the Honda OEM and i have the same effect only the middle part bouncing or flexing on highway speeds when its empty

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've had a Carbonite 16 for 4 years now and noticed the same bouncing. I've used it on 2 different vehicles. First I thought it was the cheap flimsy factory bars on our Outback, but when we traded that in for an X3 and bought very sturdy aftermarket bars, I noticed the same thing.

Haven't tried it on the pilot yet, but I can say I think the bouncing is due to some flex in the box design. I've had it on the both the Outback and X3 for 8 hour drives at a steady 75 mph with no problems. On both vehicles, it is very securely clamped onto the bars. I can rock the car back and forth by pushing against the cargo box on the side. It does not slide or anything. The flex seems to be related to the front and back forces on the box.

Does it bother me and stress me out some - yes. Has it caused any problems - no. I have not found a way to prevent it. I've tried shifting the weight around front, back, and middle, but the flex is still there.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Probably not a lot that you can do except slide it back further, but then the tailgate will hit it.

Unless you can find a way to add a wind deflector in front of it. The wind is getting under it and the front cross bar is not up far enough to support it. Unless you can figure out how to add some other attachment point the factory bars actually have a very short space between them.

It looks like your Yakima is the same as my Thule and lets the mounts slide inside to the ends of the box or to accommodate the bars.

Watching the install video's for the rails looks like their might spots to add bolt locations but probably would need to be by the bolts that secure the rail which next set is pretty far up.

A third cross bar that you can attach a clamp to (extra set of clamps through the box?) 2019 Honda Pilot Roof Rack - SeaSucker

·
Registered
188 Posts
I have the Yakima Carbonite Skybox 21, been using OEM Honda Crossbars on my 2016 Touring since I bought it and it doesn't bounce like you're describing. Had my cousin follow me at speeds of 75mph from SF to LA with no issues. Mine also does not hit the rear door/hatch, fits perfectly. Also I'm able to open my sunroof.

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have the Yakima Carbonite Skybox 21, been using OEM Honda Crossbars on my 2016 Touring since I bought it and it doesn't bounce like you're describing. Had my cousin follow me at speeds of 75mph from SF to LA with no issues. Mine also does not hit the rear door/hatch, fits perfectly. Also I'm able to open my sunroof.

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk
Thanks - as you mentioned I’m going to try the 60 percent in back, 40 percent in front method to see if it helps!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks - Yakima suggested a fairing/windshield but I’m hesitant to spend the money on it...and to have another piece to deal with sitting on my roof/sunroof.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Thanks - Yakima suggested a fairing/windshield but I’m hesitant to spend the money on it...and to have another piece to deal with sitting on my roof/sunroof.
I don't know if you could get a single one of those seasucker bars and do the fairing on it to direct air over the box. This is where we need support from places like e-trailer etc.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've had a Carbonite 16 for 4 years now and noticed the same bouncing. I've used it on 2 different vehicles. First I thought it was the cheap flimsy factory bars on our Outback, but when we traded that in for an X3 and bought very sturdy aftermarket bars, I noticed the same thing.

Haven't tried it on the pilot yet, but I can say I think the bouncing is due to some flex in the box design. I've had it on the both the Outback and X3 for 8 hour drives at a steady 75 mph with no problems. On both vehicles, it is very securely clamped onto the bars. I can rock the car back and forth by pushing against the cargo box on the side. It does not slide or anything. The flex seems to be related to the front and back forces on the box.

Does it bother me and stress me out some - yes. Has it caused any problems - no. I have not found a way to prevent it. I've tried shifting the weight around front, back, and middle, but the flex is still there.
Agree with your description - it’s definitely the box flexing around the mounting points. Yakima rep said as long as it’s locked right to the car - which it is - it’s considered safe. Just need to keep an eye out for any plastic failure around the areas where it’s flexing - said they haven’t seen or heard of that happening but with the way it’s buffeting it could over time.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't know if you could get a single one of those seasucker bars and do the fairing on it to direct air over the box. This is where we need support from places like e-trailer etc.
I actually emailed etrailer about this (as the resident online experts) and their response was that they haven’t heard of the problem happening and to check connection to the bars. I also email Rack Outfitters but haven’t heard back from them. They have a video posted of a Carbonite 21 mounted to a 2016 pilot with factory cross bars and called it a perfect fit so I thought they might have some other experience with it. Will let you know if I hear anything.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Rack Outfitter's response was that some movement is normal and as long as it's locked tightly to the bars it's fine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts