Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Honda Pilot Ex-l 4wd modern steel metallic
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed there are some roof baskets that look like they are attached directly to the roof. I like the looks of that. Is it possible with the 2915 to do that? I was thinking of getting some cross bars, not the oem ones though, and getting a basket but noticed there are vehicles, the 4runner to be specific, that look like it's atta3to roof, no side rail. So I was wondering if anyone on here know if it can be done. If I decide to go with the crossbar options I also want a big basket. I think the look silly when the are short or to narrow sitting on top of 5he nice boxy rig. So anyone got any advice, opinions, or tips?

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
6,135 Posts
There are some options for various vehicles available, that sit on the roof and attach via hooks in the door frames. There are also some that attach to the rails without cross bars. Most however, at least the ones that will fit the Pilot attach to the crossbars. If you do a search on some of the forums you will find people who have modified things like the Rhino platform rack to sit on the rails.

The Pilot, at least the current generations of Pilots were never looked at as serious off roading, adventure vehicles so those kinds of items are limited. You will probably have to look at the ones marked Universal Fit.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
My warning on roof baskets especially the ones that sit directly on the roof -- The Pilot roof skin isn't really strong enough to hold much weight without dimpling/denting. The total roof load rating using the factory rails is something like 200 lbs., and that puts the load in the drip channels where the metal is doubled plus strengthened by the shape of the channels. Using a generic rack that sits on pads on a flatter section means the roof is more vulnerable to damage. Even with a rails-mounted basket, you have to consider the weight of the basket itself in your load planning.

·
Registered
2015 Honda Pilot Ex-l 4wd modern steel metallic
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was thinking of ones I've seen that take off the rails and connect to the drip channels directly , they may be diy. Someone on another thread did a diy that looked like it was directly connected so like it comes with its own rails. I don't plan on putting much wait up there. I I kinda like the look of something up there even if nothing is in it. Lol. I know it cuts into mpg.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Roof Junk cuts way into MPG, like several lost at 60 MPH. The factory crossbars cost almost 1 MPG at highway speed with nothing on them. Recommendation: Print a couple pictures of your car with a roof basket installed, and tape them to the insides of the rear quarter windows. So others will know how cool it looks. But take the actual basket off and store it away from the car while you bank maybe 15% of your normal fuel bill instead of flushing it at the gas pump.

Roof boxes and racks are the signature look for the adventuratti here in the high desert of central Oregon. Subaru is the official state adventure vehicle, but isn't really complete without some roof appendages to carry the toys and junk that don't fit inside. Kayak and paddleboard racks in the summer, roof box or basket in the winter. A nekkid roof looks, well, nekkid. Just ask all those who drive around with the fixtures up there sitting empty.

If there was a convenient and safe way to store the factory crossbars away when we aren't carrying stuff on the roof, I'd be the first person to take advantage of that capability. Anybody wonder why crossbars are a dealer option rather than from the factory even on Touring trim? Hint: The factory might have to tell you about how they affect mileage.

Total up your annual fuel cost, multiply by 0.15, and from that subtract the percentage of driving done with stuff in those racks/baskets/boxes. The rest is money lost forever, literally pissed into the wind as you drive. Or send your cat to college... :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts