Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to add washer fluid to my car and discovered that the insulation is completely destroyed and there is also a nest in the engine. I hope there's no damage to the wiring. I don't know if I should take it in to Honda or see if I can find an independent mechanic to look at it. I am too afraid to open the hood to investigate (my boyfriend opened the hood to take the pictures). I am so distraught-- my car is barely two years old and it looks like this!

·
Registered
11,413 Posts
Oh Rats!
The engine cover needs to be pulled and get them out. They will continue to do more damage if not. The hood heat shield can be bought at a Honda dealership. Might check your insurance policy and see if your covered against rodent damage.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Oh Rats!
The engine cover needs to be pulled and get them out. They will continue to do more damage if not. The hood heat shield can be bought at a Honda dealership. Might check your insurance policy and see if your covered against rodent damage.
Agreed! Take that plastic beauty engine cover off to clear out the debris and the rodent nesting. I've removed the plastic beauty covers off my vehicles and hung them on the garage walls to discourage any nesting.

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,324 Posts
Have boyfriend remove the rest of the insulation and dump it. Not sure how the Pilot’s insulation is held in place, so go carefully and learn because the replacement will go in the same way. Order a replacement.
engine cover check underneath, plus them critters also like the air cleaner box. If possible, get a pest control service to start servicing your home.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,261 Posts

·
Registered
11,413 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Have boyfriend remove the rest of the insulation and dump it. Not sure how the Pilot’s insulation is held in place, so go carefully and learn because the replacement will go in the same way. Order a replacement.
engine cover check underneath, plus them critters also like the air cleaner box. If possible, get a pest control service to start servicing your home.
I've been parking in the same spot for eleven years and I've never had this problem. I have blocks of poison in my garage that's never been touched-- my neighborhood also does a Trap, Neuter, Release program, so there's a few feral cats around my house.

I suspect it came from my new parking space at work. In an effort to save on parking fees ($190/month), I started renting a spot in a private lot behind an apartment building which has construction going on all around it. I've seen two rats while I was walking in the area to get coffee or lunch-- one ran through the Starbuck's parking lot and jumped under the wheel well of a car. My new lot also backs up to a desolate, rocky area that look like it could a breeding ground for rats.

·
Registered
2019 EXL AWD
205 Posts
My truck had a squirrel that chewed through its abs harness. My insurance took care of it. I installed a rid a rat. It’s basically a flashing led light that hooks up to the battery. So far so good. Before the squirrel I’ve never had an issue.

·
Registered
128 Posts
2 years ago, I saw a squirrel with a stick going up the front wheel of an old Civic in my neighborhood. I rang the door bell and checked the engine bay with the owner: full of sticks between the engine and the radiator. 6 weeks later, a firetruck was in front of their house and the same car had a fire in the engine bay... I am guessing the squirrel came back.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update: I took the car to the dealer to have it cleaned out and, luckily, there was no damage to the wiring. They said it was something big like a groundhog because the claw marks were pretty large. They have the insulation in stock for $164 that can be easily popped back in place. I will park in my garage from now on...

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,261 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts