Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have finished work on my Rocket Rack. It is used to haul large model rockets to launches. Pictured is my 7.5 foot tall Endeavour model rocket mounted on my new rack. I can carry up to four large rockets on my factory crossbars now.

Attachments

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Rear view of the Rocket Rack.

Attachments

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Close up of the Rocket Rack.

Attachments

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Rocket Rack is composed of two Thule Fat Mouth brackets per rocket. Each bracket has two L-shaped shelf brackets bolted on to make a "U" shape. Once I built the brackets I covered it with foam pipe insulation and tied a string over the top to hold the rocket in.

I'm fairly sure nobody else on this forum hauls large model rockets around but the idea is sound for supporting any lightweight but long objects.

Four Fat Mouth brackets cost $25 and the other parts totalled less than $10. Cheap but cool. And I'm looking forward to the stares I'll get from other drivers next time I go to a launch.

:cool:

Attachments

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
That looks mighty fine, ChuckW!!! I'm sure your Pilot looks pretty awesome driving down the road with 4 of those 7.5 ft rockets strapped to the roof!!! :eek: My first instinct would be to light them up to give the Pilot a few extra horsepower...!!

Nice shots!!! :15:

·
Registered
283 Posts
nice ChuckW that's a good idea with the brackets.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Now how COOL is that! We used to do the rocket thing but never had one that big. (Almost - ;) ) Used to load 'em in the back of the pick-em-up! That is such a fun hobby! Ya gotta post some at take-off! :cool:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Chuck W. Your Red Rock really rocks. I see you have pin stripes. What color are they? Single or double stripe and are they on the tail gate? Did a dealer install them? It looks great as does the lower trim. I really like the lower trim, but out of my budget. I do plan on getting the stripes and I too have a red rock.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My silver pin stripes came with the Pilot. Not sure how I got them but they look pretty good. Just got lucky I guess.

The lower trim is great! It's already kept me from trying to climb into other people's Pilots at Wal-Mart.

That's why I think no one else should be buying Redrock Pearl....

:rolleyes:

·
Admin Du Jour ®
989 Posts
Great solution. I haven't done rockets since I was a kid (and they were the 24"-36" variety). Those look pretty cool. As an added benefit I bet no one cuts you off in traffic, either :)

Snap some pics of a launch next time you go. How high do they fly?

·
Registered
54 Posts
You ever get any flak from the cops or paraniod people while driving around with rockets on your roof?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Yeah I'd be worried the cops would pull you over due to the current terrorism fears! Ever been to the sod farm in Orangeburg SC?

·
Registered
991 Posts
Hey Chuck, the war is almost over! Where are you sending that rocket..

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK, I'll answer a bunch of questions:

TheWorm: They go pretty high if you put a big motor in them. The launch site I fly from has a 10,000 foot clearance for aircraft in effect when we are flying. Most of my stuff goes to 4,000 feet or lower.

jrichter09: Nope, never been pulled over but I've been looked over by cops in traffic before.

AlH: Have I ever been to Orangeburg? Absolutely!!! That's my primary field. In fact the Pilot made it's debut there at the club launch two months ago. I'm the guy who launches flying saucers all the time. Have you been up there? For those of you who don't know what we are talking about go here. If you ever want to see my Pilot just go to O'burg on a launch day. I'll probably be there.

gopilot: Well, I was thinking about Canada :rolleyes: Just kidding. You know, the price of freedom is eternal vigilance so I carry it around, you know, just in case...

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Off to the launch today. The Rocket Rack can hold four rockets on top but today I only needed to carry three.

For some reason almost every driver I got behind today immediately got out of my way. I wonder why...

Attachments

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The red rocket is six fee tall, the green one is nine feet, and the blue one is just over seven feet. Inside the Pilot I had fifteen smaller rockets plus all of the ground support equipment necessary to fly them.

Attachments

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
With all of the internal seats down and the back completely crammed with gear there was still plenty of room up front for the wife and I to make the two-hour trip to the launch site.

Attachments

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
As we drove to and from the launch we did not get pulled over but we did get an awful lot of interesting looks from other drivers. Quite a few cars did double takes by catching up to us in traffic and driving alongside.

We got lots of thumbs-ups and people ogling the Pilot in parking lots. Obviously they were overwhelmed by seeing such a great new Honda SUV!

Attachments

·
Registered
166 Posts
You need a bumber sticker that reads "Go ahead, make my day" when you have those rockets on your Pilot.

Also, there used to be a web site that you could purchase "kill" stickers from that were similar in concept to what military pilots use to mark kills.

Both of those would raise some eyebrows.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
ChuckW, that is a pretty darn neat looking contraption. I know a couple of rat bastards on which I'd like to use those. Can I borrow your Pilot for a day or two? :D

1 - 20 of 32 Posts