Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just completed a 1,000 (approx) mile road trip in Central and South Texas. Highway speeds are posted up to 75 mph and I tried to go speed limit most of the time. The road noise in the cabin is as would be expected on concrete and smooth asphalt pavement, but on gravel surface asphalt the noise becomes exytremely loud. This type of pavement is used extensively in Texas. This is one of the few items that Consomer Reports complained about when they tested the vehicle last year.
Has anyone found a sound proofing method that would help? Does anyone know of quieter tires that I could use? Mine are the original Goodyears.

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
I just switched to Michelin Cross tires in the 235-70-16 size and find them to be a quieter tire than the Goodyear. They seem to resonate at a lower, more comfortable frequency than the Goodyear, especially on concrete.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Sound Proofing

Within a day of driving mine I wanted to quiet it down. I bought it without driving it-my mistake.
On the highway you have to turn the sounds way up to hear them, then you need to shout at the rear passengers to have a conversation, then the kids turn up their headsets because your yelling into the back seat, and if you've got the Yamaha or Thule racks you've got a Sikorsky Sky Crane lifting off your roof, and so on...

I thought of the old undercoating thing but I am concerned that it may trap moisture and make things worse.
I don't think those shops have any experience with the drain points in the Pilot.
I'm thinking some of the noise is from the suspension design as well.

I finally jammed a hundred pounds of marshmallows into the underside of the thing. So far so good.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Marshmellows don't work in Texas. You would have toasted marshmellows in a short time. Maybe cotton balls.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts