Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2015 AWD Touring from my brother. I was with him when he bought it, and I watched as he took it to the stealership time and time again for service. I bought it essentially "sight unseen" as it only has 77000 miles and I know it is driven gently. What could go wrong? I ended up taking a 200 mile trip with him in it, and noted this 'roar' from the left front. It sound like tires, or perhaps even a differential that was a little dry. There was a slight pull to the left, but the alignment checked fine. I decided to spring for cheap tires (replacing Michelin Primacy something or other with some passenger car Goodyear Vivas) to see if that was it, but not change whatever with the new tires. After finding a post or two here, and other places about the front wheel bearings, I was shocked to hear they had been an issue. I haven't had a wheel bearing failure on a car or truck in at least 30 years. My local mechanic 'sort of' concurred that it could be the cause, but the usual method of identifying a bearing issue (aggressive turns to 'load' and 'unload' the suspect wheel) didn't help. An hours labor and a test drive later, and the noise (on the left) is gone. Now that I can hear better, it is there on the right side, but barely detectable. I think I'll wait on that. We're now driving straight, and much quieter. Any other thoughts on this?

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Can't argue with results as reported. Casual mental survey of wheel bearing posts suggests that there have been other reports of early-life front wheel bearing failures.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was some of those other posts that led me to look at it. I never would have imagined wheel bearings except perhaps in a heavy towing situation. I saw a few anecdotal stories talking about having ABS issues with aftermarket bearing kits. When I suggested OEM to my mechanic he laughed and said "those are the ones that are making bearings that are failing early". Touche. I think I'm going to go ahead and have him do the right side next week. $176 out the door.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts