Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let's talk road manners. What are some of the nice things you do to be a good ciizen of the road. These are things that are not necessarily laws, just common knowledge or common road courtesy.

For example:

Using the left lane of the highway for passing only. Don't ya hate it when you get stuck in back of two cars driving even with each other and you are unable to pass.

How bout flashing your headlights to warn oncoming traffic of a cop you just passed.

Or I've seen truckers flash their headlights to signal it's safe for another truck to over-take them. Once in the lane the other trucker either flashes his hazzards or taps his breaks (does anyone know which one it is?) as if to say "Thank You"...

any others?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,953 Posts
not leaving the turn signal on....that drives me crazy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,351 Posts
- Scooting into the left lane to allow space for traffic merging from the right.
- At crowded intersections, allowing someone in (i.e., if they're trying to get onto the road from a parking lot)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,140 Posts
People who give up there "Right-Of-Way" for no good reason! :3:

Leaving you in the position of having to go when you know it is NOT your "Right-Of-Way".

"Oh yes officer, she realy did wave me on right before she ran into me!"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,351 Posts
N_Jay said:
People who give up there "Right-Of-Way" for no good reason! :3:

Leaving you in the position of having to go when you know it is NOT your "Right-Of-Way".

"Oh yes officer, she realy did wave me on right before she ran into me!"
:p That's exactly why I always ignore those "wavers-on" unless it's something like trying to get out of a parking lot. Low speed, ya know.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
tracy said:
-At crowded intersections, allowing someone in (i.e., if they're trying to get onto the road from a parking lot)
Don't forget to wave thank-you. I hate it when I let folks in and they just blast into the lane, showing no appreciation.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
191 Posts
Those are all great and if the majority of people followed those manners, think of how nice your commute could be!!

Here's another:
- Not speeding up when someone is trying to merge into your lane (actually letting someone cut in front of you - dear God, NO!)

Here's one that doesn't really apply to "driving", but drives me crazy anyway:
- People that are perfectly fine using handicapped parking permits because someone else in their family is handicapped (when they aren't even with them).

Someone I work with does this and I OH SO want to do something to her nice Lincoln LS, but I am just not that mean
:3:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
191 Posts
Have you noticed that the majority of those with posts in this thread are from the Chicago-SE Wisconsin area??

HMMMMMMMM
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
RUFIO said:
Or I've seen truckers flash their headlights to signal it's safe for another truck to over-take them. Once in the lane the other trucker either flashes his hazzards or taps his breaks (does anyone know which one it is?) as if to say "Thank You"...
So can anyone tell me if I'm suppose to tap my breaks to say thank you or are we suppose to flash the hazzards? I can't remember which one it is.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
kompers said:
Have you noticed that the majority of those with posts in this thread are from the Chicago-SE Wisconsin area??

HMMMMMMMM

Yeah.. we'all easy going an polite here...ever drive in New York city. That place is ruthless!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
191 Posts
RUFIO said:
Or I've seen truckers flash their headlights to signal it's safe for another truck to over-take them. Once in the lane the other trucker either flashes his hazzards or taps his breaks (does anyone know which one it is?) as if to say "Thank You"...

any others?
From what I've noticed, I think that they turn off their lights and turn them back on quick to signal it's safe to merge or as a 'thank you' gesture.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
78 Posts
running lights

I think they have different sets of lights that they can control, including those that run up and around their trailer. Can't imagine that big rigs would tap their brakes unless they needed to stop... heck, they prefer engine braking to using up their pads. I think they must just toggle a switch for some of their running lights on and off.

"So can anyone tell me if I'm suppose to tap my breaks to say thank you or are we suppose to flash the hazzards? I can't remember which one it is."

I've done this (flash when they are clear to change lanes) for the 15 years I've been driving, but have never had a semi do it for me... presumably in a passenger vehicle, we can see well enough to change lanes. Hauling a 60 foot (or whatever) trailer with no rearward vision other than what one can see in the mirrors is a little more challenging.

And yes, we are pretty easy going around these parts, unless one of our southen neighbors is in a big hurry to get up to Door County, Lake Geneva or the Dells. I'm reminded sometimes that blinkers are optional equipment in IL.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
122 Posts
Has anybody had this happen to them?

It bugs me when somebody in front of me feels they somehow need to give me a driving lesson by slamming on their brakes because they feel I'm too close.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,572 Posts
:D remember the mcdonald's commercial in chicago area where they show a pickup truck from wisconsin leaving his blinkers on and staying in the fast lane? no offense to the neighbors up north;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
67 Posts
Move to Southern California!!!

Let's see how much more crowded it can be!!

Anyone that is not a border state that has to deal with the NAFTA or Front BC'er (Tijuana) has nothing to complain about.

Turn signals on... At least where you live, there are signals to turn off or on. Here, the lens are broken out and maybe covered with a red piece of tape.

Cutting off... if there is a car length between you and the guy in front of you, that space is fair game.

Passing... Pass on the right OR pass on the on/off ramp lane!

Merging... if there is a line or queue, go to the front and play stupid or stupider, which ever the case may be.

Speed... if you are not doing 10-15 over, people honk and flash lights or tail the $hit out of your bumper. These are the same cars that come across the US/Mexico border that do not have the same safety standards that the US requires. Emissions in CA are one of the strictest, but in TJ, anything goes. You can smell a Front BC car before you can see it!!! Insurance? What is that to a Front BC driver?

What was the topic of the thread? I can't remember....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,388 Posts
Re: Re: Road Manners

kompers said:
From what I've noticed, I think that they turn off their lights and turn them back on quick to signal it's safe to merge or as a 'thank you' gesture.
I've seen truckers use their hazard lights to express gratitude to me when I let them pass by slowing down a bit and move more to the right on a 2 lane highway. If the shoulder's wide enough, I end up driving in it just until the truck has passed me safely.

Of course, I do this on a long stretch of a straight road with no oncoming cars in the opposite direction and with no others cars immediately behind the truck either.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
495 Posts
ben916 said:
Move to Southern California!!!

Let's see how much more crowded it can be!!

Anyone that is not a border state that has to deal with the NAFTA or Front BC'er (Tijuana) has nothing to complain about.

Turn signals on... At least where you live, there are signals to turn off or on. Here, the lens are broken out and maybe covered with a red piece of tape.

Cutting off... if there is a car length between you and the guy in front of you, that space is fair game.

Passing... Pass on the right OR pass on the on/off ramp lane!

Merging... if there is a line or queue, go to the front and play stupid or stupider, which ever the case may be.

Speed... if you are not doing 10-15 over, people honk and flash lights or tail the $hit out of your bumper. These are the same cars that come across the US/Mexico border that do not have the same safety standards that the US requires. Emissions in CA are one of the strictest, but in TJ, anything goes. You can smell a Front BC car before you can see it!!! Insurance? What is that to a Front BC driver?

What was the topic of the thread? I can't remember....
LOL. Sounds a heck of a lot like Houston to me :2:

I also apologize in advance for anyone on I-10 headed towards Texas on the west side of Louisiana. Lots of emergency lane passing and a$$ riding, compliments of the Houston driving mentality.

Although I am one (for 6 years now), I have a special contempt for Texas (Houston specifically) drivers. A unique breed.

My favorite Houston road sign - "It is the state law to obey all traffic signs."
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
119 Posts
kompers said:



- People that are perfectly fine using handicapped parking permits because someone else in their family is handicapped (when they aren't even with them).

I saw the perfect solution to this a few years ago in Minnesota - -

Someone had purchased a big sticker (probably 12 inches by 12 inches) that was printed on the cheapest paper you could imagine - the sticker said "YOU ARE PARKED ILLEGALLY". These stickers had been pasted over the middle of the driver's side of the windshield. Since the paper was so cheap the driver was unable to peel it off and had to resort to 30 minutes of scraping to remove the sticker. :2:

I've been looking for a source for years - - I'd love to carry them in my trunk so I could distribute them myself.

JJ
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,388 Posts
Re: Has anybody had this happen to them?

porknbeans said:
It bugs me when somebody in front of me feels they somehow need to give me a driving lesson by slamming on their brakes because they feel I'm too close.
If someone's following me so closely such that I can't even see their hood in my rearview mirror even when I'm doing well above the speed limit, then, I slow down. I don't slam on my brakes though. Why waste my brake pads on idiots?

But what's fun though sometimes, if someone's tailgaiting me like that, is when I see a big pothole ahead (there are quite a few of them around here, especially in spring) and I wait until the last second to avoid it. Watch the drama unfold in the rearview mirror as you see the tailgaiter's car experience a violent jarring from hitting the pothole and the driver's face wince at the sametime. After that you won't have any problems seeing daylight between your car and his in the same mirror.

porknbeans, please don't misconstrue my reply as referring you as one of the tailgaiters. I'm sure you don't do this even when the car in front of you is doing the speed limit ;)
 
1 - 20 of 118 Posts
Top