Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2006 EX with the projector style lights

When I turn on the lights sometimes the right side low beam doesn't come on. I can always get it to come on by turning the lights off and turning them back on. Sometimes it takes a few tries.

The high beams will work on both sides.

I jiggled the wires on the right side by hand to see if I could see a short.

Where should I look for the problem? It almost feels like a relay that isn't clicking on.

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
First and easiest thing to try is to switch the bulbs left to right and see if the problem follows. A failed filament may or may not be immediately visible.

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
Then, check your No. 3, 20 A Right Headlight fuse in the PRIMARY UNDER-HOOD FUSE BOX.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
But it might indeed be headlight relay 1, as you suspect. See page 16 of the section I've attached from the Service Manual.

After that, happy wire hunting season. Chase down your wires and connections with a multimeter, from the socket to the stalk. Actually, take a closer look at both of these first. Is the socket corrosion-free and are the contacts solid? Is there play in the stalk control and does it have a little wiggle room that gets your light to turn on or off? Maybe even spray a little contact cleaner the kind you used to be able to get from Radio Shack in there, but ultimately your may need a new stalk switch.

Attachments

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all that. I'll do some checking tomorrow.

Once it clicks on, it never goes off while driving. It stays on solid until turned off. It also feels like once it's warmed up I can't make it fail randomly by turning the lights off/on. It's like it only does this when "cold", after the car has been sitting for a while.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A couple of things happened lately. The other day the driver's side lights wouldn't turn on. Previously it was the passenger side. Flicking the lights on / off a few times finally turned them on.

I looked at the wiring and found that I seem to have an aftermarket HID system. I found this little HID box attached.

What component could be independently intermittent on both sides?

I wonder what it would take to revert back to a stock system or maybe buy a new aftermarket system that is more reliable?

Attached is a pic of the HID box.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
Well, I think we've found our culprit, and it would've gotten away with it too if it weren't for those meddling kids.

If you can't live without HID, replace the system, unless you enjoy the full OCD experience of chasing down electricals. Otherwise, stock is perfectly adequate, IMHO.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Alla brand LED might be an Okay replacement. I recently replaced the halogen bulbs in my CRV fog lights with Alla and they had exactly the same light pattern.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Do you guys think the ballasts I have are probably going bad? The bulbs are obviously good. It's like one side or the other occasionally doesn't energize. Flicking the switch off and back on seems to usually get it going. Sometimes it takes a few times of off/on/off/on. It actually reminds me a fluorescent light with a bad ballast. When it finally comes on, it starts off dim and then warms up to full brightness in about 30 seconds.

If I wanted to switch to a stock setup would I be missing any stock parts that were taken off during the HID install?

Would the easiest thing might be another HID kit. I see they aren't too expensive.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
It may be a multitude of reasons. It may be as trivial as a bad ground, or something along the lines of a dying battery or alternator. Every electrical problem requires a careful investigation with the proper tools: voltmeter and ohmmeter.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've been doing a little research and the mode of failure seems to be typical for a failing ballast. The ballasts must not like the cold we've had lately. If I just wanted to revert back to stock is it just two new bulbs and removing the ballasts and related wiring harness?

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
Ballast hypothesis seems plausible.

Besides the bulbs you need to get, do you still have the stock sockets?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have no idea. The stock sockets are removed for the typical HID "upgrade"?

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
Not having any experience with HIDs, I'd say just try a stock bulb in the socket and see if it fits and works.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I thought these kits were all retrofit. I'm not sure if the bulb holders are different.

I found my kit - cheapest kit on Amazon! No wonder the ballasts are going out after a few years.

So, I could buy another kit for $40. Buy a higher quality kit for $100-150. Try and revert to stock. I see that LED retrofit bulbs are also an option.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts