Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2015 FWD and when I back down our sloped driveway, shift into drive and start driving, it sounds like I've crushed a tin can. It always happens when backing down my driveway, occasionally on level surfaces. It is not while shifting - it is after I begin to drive. I have had the transmission replaced twice, so it is not something within the transmission. It does not happen on a lift because it is level, so it is difficult to replicate the problem.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
If you can roll forward a bit after reversing will it still make the can crunching noise? Could be a damaged parking pawl within the transmission

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you can roll forward a bit after reversing will it still make the can crunching noise? Could be a damaged parking pawl within the transmission
Thanks for the reply.
Roll forward in neutral I suppose and listen for the noise?

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
1,860 Posts
Why have you had 2 transmissions? For this noise? Does it make noises the rest of the trip?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes - transmission replaced twice for the same issue. First replacement did not fix the issue at all. I'm not a mechanic, but after replacing it once, it would seem the problem is outside of the transmission.....

Once I'm in drive after backing down the driveway and it has made that sound once, it's good to go. Sometimes on level surfaces, after backing out of a parking space it will do the same thing - crunch after I begin to drive forward.

It seems that gravity is causing some change in the drivetrain which causes this sound.

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
15,886 Posts
That's weird. It almost sounds as if a brake pad or brake dust shield is getting caught and released. You have already stopped, changed gear and moved forward.....

Can it be replicated at will anywhere or just on your driveway..... From the front or rear of the car? Any work done immediately prior to this starting? Potholes hit etc?

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
1,860 Posts
That 'clack' sound? I hope you didn't have to pay for a new trans?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Can it be replicated at will anywhere or just on your driveway..... From the front or rear of the car? Any work done immediately prior to this starting? Potholes hit etc?
It can be replicated anywhere the car can be backed down a slope. Sounds like it's from the front, possibly toward the driver's side, which has been confirmed by mechanics that have taken it for a test drive.

No incidents that seem to coincide with the sound. Bought Feb of 2020 with 80k+ miles. Noticed sound a few months after owning and have been chasing down ever since. Drives fine. Been to my mechanic several times and to two transmission places, one of which replaced the transmission twice. They all hear the noise but can't seem to pinpoint, other than to suspect within to the transmission, which we have proven it is not.

If a few 2015 Pilot owners said that this is what happens when backing down a grade and then driving forward, I'd let it go. But it's very loud and seemed to suddenly become an issue. Want to be sure I'm not neglecting a problem that could be more serious in the future.

·
Registered
72 Posts
My '11 Touring has a similar sound when doing that same maneuver (reversing down a hill and putting the vehicle into drive). I have found that if I come to a complete stop, shift from R to D and wait about 2 seconds before accelerating forward, the sound is significantly diminshed. In the video, IMO, your transition from backing up to going forward is quite quick (same with me...not that I am impatient lol). Try that pause after shifting and let me know if the sound is reduced. Candidly, I have been curious about this for a while too but found no one else talking about it so I chalked it up to me being rough on my transmission.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good to hear I'm not the only one experiencing this problem. Good observation on the shift speed. I've tried keeping the brake applied until it feels like there is power to drive forward, and that sometimes minimizes the noise. Hope someday to find out what this noise is.

·
Registered
282 Posts
It kinda sounds like a parking brake shoe dragging. Mine would make a similar noise when my 04 had rusty parking brake drums. You can try applying a little pressure to the parking brake and see if the sound changes or goes away.

But, the parking brake is on the back.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Ours has done this since new. Seems totally normal. If you STOP and wait for drive to fully engage first it won’t do it. I’d researched in the past and seems to be a Honda thing. I’m really surprised the dealer replaced it under warranty.

Reactions: 828

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Possibly related: The "hill start assist system" maintains braking to prevent the car from rolling as you transition between brake pedal and accelerator. If you are a little quick on the transition, your initial roll will have brakes applied for the assist time. Happens when you move the gear lever to D or d3 with the car facing up hill, or to R when facing downhill. I notice it when I back into my sloped driveway then change to D to go up/out of the driveway. There's no noise associated with the function, at least that I remember hearing. It is a noticeable lag to release though. Overall the function is pretty handy as it keeps the car from rolling downhill immediately, before I press on the throttle pedal enough to move uphill.

It's described briefly in the 2013 Owners Manual on page 343.

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
Possibly related: The "hill start assist system" maintains braking to prevent the car from rolling as you transition between brake pedal and accelerator. If you are a little quick on the transition, your initial roll will have brakes applied for the assist time. Happens when you move the gear lever to D or d3 with the car facing up hill, or to R when facing downhill. I notice it when I back into my sloped driveway then change to D to go up/out of the driveway. There's no noise associated with the function, at least that I remember hearing. It is a noticeable lag to release though. Overall the function is pretty handy as it keeps the car from rolling downhill immediately, before I press on the throttle pedal enough to move uphill.

It's described briefly in the 2013 Owners Manual on page 343.
I agree with this assessment.
Does not sound transmission related.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Not sure I’d agree. The sound always sounded tranny related in ours. I’m familiar with the hill start system and I don’t think this is it. The noise happens about 3-6 feet after going forward with zero drag from the brakes. Either way I know for 100% sure ours has done it since brand new with no ill effects. (I try to avoid it, my wife doesn’t even notice it. It’s her car)

·
Registered
819 Posts
Checked exhaust system and shields along that path?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts