Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2005 Pilot. The lens on my passenger side reverse light on the liftgate broke. I went to the local Pick-n-Pull and broke 5 housings before realizing I had no idea how to remove it. I bought a replacement housing on ebay, but there are no YouTube videos on how to remove the housing. Does anyone have any resources explaining how to remove the reverse light housing?

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,249 Posts
This member did it, presumably. He provided helpful diagrams. But it is indeed more complicated than it should be.

I just found the answer on the mechanic manual (https://ia801305.us.archive.org/2/items/0608HondaPilotSM/06-08 Honda Pilot SM.pdf), so posting here in case anyone reads this thread. To remove the back-up light enclosure you need to remove the rear license plate trim, and in order to do that, it is required to remove the whole tailgate panel :crying:.
Attachments

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
3,834 Posts
If yours is just cracked, clear packing tape works great to keep it together. That’s what is on one of my wife’s Pilot’s reverse light. I don’t mind working on her vehicle, but I wasn’t willing to take half the tailgate apart to change a lens cover.

Reactions: aggrex and plplplpl

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,402 Posts
I did it a few months ago. I was never able to get the trim that you're supposed to pop out (where the license plate goes) so I just pried it apart and hoped nothing broke. Fortunately nothing did.

I replaced the right reverse light and now the left side is taking on water so I guess I'll be doing it again. I took some trim clips off the junkyard car in case I broke any while I was taking all the plastic off of the tailgate.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts