Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I am new to the forum, apologize if it's a duplicated post, I have red many, but not find something similar.

Several months ago I bought a Pilot '04, but just recently I drive it every day. So, when change the gear to "R" there is a "kick", sometimes a strong one, sometimes no so strong one, but still seems not a normal gear change. Sometimes and especially on cold engine, there is a "kick" on 2nd and 3rd gear, maybe not so many times with 4th and 5th and no matter if I push strong or not the throttle.
I have just changed the transmission oil with Honda ATF Z1 (as per ex owner, the last one was changed 4 years ago, but with less than 20K miles). The mechanic told me that the old oil was very black with shavings. He also checks all 5 engine and transmission mounts, all look good.
Now the gear kick is smoother, and appears not so often. But still irritating when change to R.

My concern is that this could be the first sign of transmission failure, so I will appreciate your feedback if this is a common issue or not.

Thank you all.

·
Read Only
293 Posts
You need to check all engine mounts, engine mounts, front rear and side, and transmission mounts, which are easiest to see through the drivers side wheel well.

If the engine is rocking when you floor it under load in park, then it's the engine flopping around.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Had this happen on my 370z when my transmission fluid was under filled. Check that as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You need to check all engine mounts, engine mounts, front rear and side, and transmission mounts, which are easiest to see through the drivers side wheel well.

If the engine is rocking when you floor it under load in park, then it's the engine flopping around.
Hi, the mechanic told me all mounts are fine. I will double check. Thanks

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,178 Posts
My Gen 1 gives a little kick to R when I'm on an incline, like my driveway.
I don't think it's a impending sign of Tranny failure however.

And I recommend using the less expensive Valvoline Max Life ATF for your next few drain and fills. It'll mix just fine. When you do a drian and fill- it should come out still red and no burnt smell, only tranny fluid smell. IMHO.

Amazing, There are So many people still buying and driving older Gen 1 Pilots!!

Long live the Pilot!

It's really quite a testimonial of how reliable and durable these 'SUV's are!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Had this happen on my 370z when my transmission fluid was under filled. Check that as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
will check, but just drilled and refilled it ...
My Gen 1 gives a little kick to R when I'm on an incline, like my driveway.
I don't think it's a impending sign of Tranny failure however.

And I recommend using the less expensive Valvoline Max Life ATF for your next few drain and fills. It'll mix just fine. When you do a drian and fill- it should come out still red and no burnt smell, only tranny fluid smell. IMHO.

Amazing, There are So many people still buying and driving older Gen 1 Pilots!!

Long live the Pilot!

It's really quite a testimonial of how reliable and durable these 'SUV's are!!
Thanks man, I will have it mind ;)

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,324 Posts
What I think is happening with your Pilot is something that can happen on any old higher mileage auto box. The way they change gears relies on the ATF fluid getting redirected by solenoids. Additionally, ATFs by their natural fluid change regime do not replace all the fluid, only about 30-40% of it. So over time dirt and debris can build up. This dirt and debris can block the valves that control the movement of the ATF and therefore the gear changes.

You are on the right path with the ATF fluid change. Sometimes it can take a few days for an auto to "settled down" after a fluid change. I would encourage you to drive it for say 1000 miles, and do another fluid change. Sounds to me that it had been neglected.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,258 Posts
Additionally, ATFs by their natural fluid change regime do not replace all the fluid, only about 30-40% of it.
Wie geht's? Willkommen!

So, right: 3 times drain and fill with Valvoline Maxlife ATF, driving e few kilometers between each.

If that doesn't improve things somewhat, then we can start talking about solenoids

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What I think is happening with your Pilot is something that can happen on any old higher mileage auto box. The way they change gears relies on the ATF fluid getting redirected by solenoids. Additionally, ATFs by their natural fluid change regime do not replace all the fluid, only about 30-40% of it. So over time dirt and debris can build up. This dirt and debris can block the valves that control the movement of the ATF and therefore the gear changes.

You are on the right path with the ATF fluid change. Sometimes it can take a few days for an auto to "settled down" after a fluid change. I would encourage you to drive it for say 1000 miles, and do another fluid change. Sounds to me that it had been neglected.
Thank you, seems reasonable.
Wie geht's? Willkommen!

So, right: 3 times drain and fill with Valvoline Maxlife ATF, driving e few kilometers between each.

If that doesn't improve things somewhat, then we can start talking about solenoids
Hi, I am from East Europe, because of the VPN of my company laptop appears Germany 😁
I think I do not have other choise to try to refill several times, hoping to resolve 🙂.. Thanks

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Bulgaria? Добър ден!

We'd love to see pictures of your Pilot here. :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you all for the support and suggestions.
Update: almost a week after the drain and refill it's shifting better, so I am going to repeat the procedure in a while.

Will keep you posted :)

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
(y) Great! And don't forget to post pictures of your Pilot. :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi guys, here some pics as promised ;)
I wonder if you can advise where to find a cover fog light (left - passenger side) as you can see I bought it like this and would like to fix it. Here in Europe is almost impossible to find. I had a look in ebay as well, but there is not available a cover only..
Thank you :)

Attachments

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Looks nice and well-maintained. (y)

This parts dealer in the US suggests...

Countries

Bernardi can only ship your international order Canada, Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands. It will be shipped by UPS. Many of our international customers are using a shipping forwarder to receive items in other countries

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Nice!
Steering wheel is on the left?

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts