Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

As I am sure you have suspected (since I haven't been on here in a few days), I have been out driving my Pilot. :)

In fact, as you know I just picked her up last Sunday and she already has 1,714 miles on her. :D

We drove to SeaWorld in San Diego and if you are not a diehard Pilot-lover and you want to be bored silly, keep reading. Suffice it to say, I love this Pilot. Here are some impressions...

Other Pilots on the Road

Well, after 1,714 long miles, I did not see a single Pilot other than mine. Couldn't believe it. I went from Phoenix to San Diego and didn't see a single one. I was all ready to beep and wave and make a first-class fool of myself if I saw another Pilot on the road. I was even at SeaWorld, with tons of other vehicles and didn't see another Pilot. Odd and disappointing.

I will say, however, that many people looked at my car.

We stayed at the Sheraton in San Diego and the Door Captain came over while my better half and I were checking in and was questioning my Mom and daughter about what kind of car it was, etc. He fell in love with it. :) The guy has class.

Driveability and Little Quirks

The ride was just downright POSH. Smooth. Buttery. After 8-hours of driving, I felt great. No backache. No leg ache. It was perfect. There was some minor wind noise, but nothing to wring your hands over. I did notice the seats have begun to sag. And I also noticed that the front passenger seat needs to be adjusted a bit, but other than that, this is the PERFECT car to travel in.

Now, I will say that I have shamefully mocked that activity tray in the middle seats. Yes, I thought it was stupid and inane -- and then I was riding in the backseat. My daughter looked over and said, "Hey Mom, wanna play gin?" I said, "Sure." We had a great game of gin going on back there. Couldn't do that with anything else but that activity tray. So, I officially withdraw my nasty comments about it. :) Its a seriously cool feature.

Purchase Regrets

Okay, if I had to do anything over again, I think I would get the GPS or the DVD. Either one would have been delightful. I found myself pitifully lost in San Diego and that GPS would have been SO NICE. Of course, the people at the Marine Base were very helpful when I got all of us so lost it wasn't funny but, it would have been nice to have been able to get there without having to look like a complete idiot.

The DVD would have been great for people stuck in the back. Face it, as beautiful as Arizona and California are, there is only so much scrubbrush and mountains you can look at before you want to scream. The DVD would have been such a joy.

If you are on the fence with either - get them. Spend the money. They ARE worth it.

Things I REALLY Liked

Center Console - If you haven't taken a long trip yet, when you do, you are going to LOVE that console. So much room and so organized. There is more than enough space for all the things you need to keep up front and handy.

Looks and Stares - You WILL get lots of looks and lots of stares from other drivers. Most curious seemed to be Accord drivers, CRV drivers and Mercedes drivers. I did have one guy in an MDX who was officially on my last nerve. He was behind me, then next to me and then in front of me, and then got behind me again ... the whole while checking out my Pilot.

Cargo Cover - Get it. When we parked at the hotel, there were things I simply didn't feel like dragging up to the room. I also didn't want everyone to look at it either. I pulled the cargo cover over and voila' - privacy. Its worth it.

Gold Accessories - if you have a Sandstone, you should get the gold accessories. It makes it look SOOOOOOO cool. Finishes the look.

All weather mats - Again, these make life much easier.

I'm going to post some photos from the trip. I have a few good ones of the Pilot which I think you'll enjoy.

CopperPoppy

·
Registered
123 Posts
Wow!

Thanks for those impressions copperpoppy! You certainly didn't waste any time with your break in period! I plan on doing the same to Florida the minute I get mine. Your unabashed love for your Pilot is truly beautiful, as well as reassuring. I'm glad to hear you are enjoying it fully. :4:

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

I noticed you are getting the full-size spare. Mind if I ask how much? Didn't occur to me that the spare wasn't full-size until I saw your signature. Might be worth getting the full-size since 4-wheelin' on a doughtnut just doesn't sound right, ya know?(G)

:5:

·
Registered
465 Posts
center console

I'll add something about the center console.

In every car I have ever ridden in, you have to physically lift up from your seat to change the radio station (not used to that on the steering wheel yet) or to adjust the temp.

In the Pilot, I can stay with my back against my seat to do all of this. Since I am constantly scanning radio stations, this is great!

And the buttons are so user friendly. I can easily switch from "FR" to "RR" on the RES and change what is coming out of the speakers without taking my eyes off the road. CopperPoppy, you should definitely look at the RES. I even enjoy listening to a movie going down the road occasionally as long as it isn't Rugrats! If Rugrats is playing, the headphones are ON!

·
Registered
900 Posts
Center Console

I like the fact that a decent sized purse can fit in there so even if you have a passenger in the right front seat, there is a place to put it and reach everything! I have moved the cup holders a couple of times to accomodate whatever was in the console, too. Very convenient. ANd easy to hide something (like the digital camera) in there as well, with the sliding covers.

I am 5'4". This is the first car I have had where I did not sit right up against the steering wheel (and thus air bag) to reach the pedals. Probably lots safer.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: Center Console

havasu said:
I like the fact that a decent sized purse can fit in there so even if you have a passenger in the right front seat, there is a place to put it and reach everything! ... I am 5'4". This is the first car I have had where I did not sit right up against the steering wheel (and thus air bag) to reach the pedals. Probably lots safer.
There are so many men on here that I really didn't find anyone who would appreciate the "purse feature" but, WOW, isn't it great? I have a large black hobo-shaped bag and it fits beautifully on the console.

And I also agree with you about being short and safety. I'm 5'2" and reaching the pedals of most vehicles is always an adventure. The Pilot, just like all of the Honda family of vehicles, accommodates my short stature. In fact, it was the first thing I fell in love with, with Hondas.

BTW, I bought an aloe vera plant last evening and hung the bag on the back of the console in the bag holder hook - so that it didn't tumble around the car. Have you had a chance to use it yet? VERY sweet.

·
Registered
900 Posts
No I haven't noticed that hook... but will go look! Someone in another thread noted the rear storage area has hooks to hold grocery bags upright, that looks like a good idea. We just keep finding more things, don't we?

Today our Havasu Blue followed my while I drove my parents in their car to church and out to eat. It was funny, after scouring for Pilots for so long, to continually look up and see one in my rear view mirror! I kept (almost) doing a double-take!

·
Registered
900 Posts
Re: Re: Center Console

copperpoppy said:

...hung the bag on the back of the console in the bag holder hook - so that it didn't tumble around the car. Have you had a chance to use it yet? VERY sweet.
I just looked. I don't see any hook on the back of the console. Center console between the two front seats, right? No hook on mine.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Havasu. The RES replaces the hook with the rear audio panel.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Aha. makes sense. Thanks.

·
Registered
481 Posts
The hook is quite nice. . .would have liked to replace that with the RES rear audio panel, in hindsight, however.

would have been nicer

·
Registered
592 Posts
copperpoppy: Nice post-break-in report. Waiting for the pictures. We want to take a trip to San Deigo in our Pilot too. Perhaps in October sometime.

Front Console area is really cleverly designed. But I do see myself moving my hand in that area for changing gears though :)

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
03pilot said:
Front Console area is really cleverly designed. But I do see myself moving my hand in that area for changing gears though :)
I hear that. Traded in a 5-speed Accord. I keep downshifting my Starbucks grande...

·
Registered
232 Posts
Great story copperpoppy.......our hook on the rear of the console is being used as a hook for a trash "bag". We picked up a nifty little trash bag at Target (think it's made by CaseLogic) and it has a loop and hangs nicely in the console hook. It's easily accessible by the front and rear passengers and works great.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Cheesehead said:
Great story copperpoppy.......our hook on the rear of the console is being used as a hook for a trash "bag". We picked up a nifty little trash bag at Target (think it's made by CaseLogic) and it has a loop and hangs nicely in the console hook. It's easily accessible by the front and rear passengers and works great.
Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwww - GREAT IDEA.

Note to self: Go to Target...

·
Registered
804 Posts
03pilot said:
We want to take a trip to San Deigo in our Pilot too. Perhaps in October sometime.
If you're into apples and quaint little villages, you might want to take a little detour to Julian. They're well know for their apples. Get yourself some PIE!

·
Registered
592 Posts
Thanks Ferdball. I will certainly remember that on our next trip.

Is there somekind of Apple-picking farm or something there ?

Ferdball said:

If you're into apples and quaint little villages, you might want to take a little detour to Julian. They're well know for their apples. Get yourself some PIE!

·
Registered
123 Posts
copperpoppy said:

I noticed you are getting the full-size spare. Mind if I ask how much? Didn't occur to me that the spare wasn't full-size until I saw your signature. Might be worth getting the full-size since 4-wheelin' on a doughtnut just doesn't sound right, ya know?(G)

:5:
Fer sure! Also with me getting the towing package, it's required for me to tow antyhing. I don't know the cost, but I need to call the sales rep tomorrow, so I'll find out for you then.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts