Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

Resonator straight pipe vs vibrant resonator?

1398 Views 4 Replies 2 Participants Last post by  J35a4-240hp
Not sure where to post but I wanna know the what the difference in sound is if I replace the resonator with a straight pipe vs buying a vibrant resonator. If anyone was curious I already have a k&n CAI and a magnaflow muffler. Any help would be much appreciated thank you.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
5,830 Posts
Are you keeping the stock rear mufflers? I don't know that you'd be able to tell much a difference with the big muffler still in tact. If you are deleting the rear muffler the vibrant will help reduce rasp. On some vehicles it can eliminate it entirely.

Check out Exhaust Addicts on youtube, they do all kinds of exhaust videos and have many different combinations. Some can give you direct comparison for virbant resonator vs. straight pipe and they have a few J series on there as well.

Reactions: J35a4-240hp

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you keeping the stock rear mufflers? I don't know that you'd be able to tell much a difference with the big muffler still in tact. If you are deleting the rear muffler the vibrant will help reduce rasp. On some vehicles it can eliminate it entirely.

Check out Exhaust Addicts on youtube, they do all kinds of exhaust videos and have many different combinations. Some can give you direct comparison for virbant resonator vs. straight pipe and they have a few J series on there as well.
Thank you for the response I will go check them out now. And I have installed a mgnaflow muffler in place of the stock one and a k&n cold air intake. So what I’m hearing is that the vibrant resonator will tone down the raspy noise that just a straight pipe as a resonator would produce?

· Registered
5,830 Posts
Thank you for the response I will go check them out now. And I have installed a mgnaflow muffler in place of the stock one and a k&n cold air intake. So what I’m hearing is that the vibrant resonator will tone down the raspy noise that just a straight pipe as a resonator would produce?
Yes... of course many factors go into that:

1. What other mufflers/resonators are on the system
  2. The type/length of muffler/resonator installed
  3. Their location relative to each other/the exhaust tips and the manifolds
  4. The presence of stock catalytic converters, high flow or deletes
  5. Stock manifolds vs. headers
When I was younger I just wanted volume and didn't care about drone or tone. Now I prefer a really well engineered system (like Corsa, which isn't available on these) that gives me the volume with a perfectly livable interior that has no drone.

Reactions: J35a4-240hp

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Yes... of course many factors go into that:

1. What other mufflers/resonators are on the system
  2. The type/length of muffler/resonator installed
  3. Their location relative to each other/the exhaust tips and the manifolds
  4. The presence of stock catalytic converters, high flow or deletes
  5. Stock manifolds vs. headers
When I was younger I just wanted volume and didn't care about drone or tone. Now I prefer a really well engineered system (like Corsa, which isn't available on these) that gives me the volume with a perfectly livable interior that has no drone.
Thanks for the information and yeah I’m trying to build it where it has volume but sounds good I’d rather it sound good then be really loud and I already have some volume with what I have on it but I would like a little more but like I said still having a nice tone

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.