Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for the most reliable and biggest.
I'm thinking 2013 to 2015.
If costs weren't a factor which pilot would you pick?

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
They are virtually unchanged during those model years. Only difference I am aware of is they added the SE trim level in 2015.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
They are virtually unchanged during those model years. Only difference I am aware of is they added the SE trim level in 2015.
This. If costs weren't a factor I'd be looking for a '15 SE, newest, should have least miles, sweet spot in terms of packaging for me.

My wife would have loved a Touring with the extra features but our EX-L does the trick nicely and has enough equipment. The biggest feature I wish ours had from the Touring is memory seats, we are over 6" different in height and these seats are kind of tough to find the sweet spot in so I wish it was easier for us to do.

Reactions: Tourist2012

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
This. If costs weren't a factor I'd be looking for a '15 SE, newest, should have least miles, sweet spot in terms of packaging for me.

My wife would have loved a Touring with the extra features but our EX-L does the trick nicely and has enough equipment. The biggest feature I wish ours had from the Touring is memory seats, we are over 6" different in height and these seats are kind of tough to find the sweet spot in so I wish it was easier for us to do.
Yep, we had a 2012 Touring and now have a 2019 Elite. The memory settings are a huge plus. I'm 5'11" and my wife is 5'1" which means we have dramatically different settings for the seats and mirrors.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
831 Posts
I was looking for Pilots in that same year range. What I found was the EX-L with NAV and Touring trims were often cheaper. I am assuming because navigation systems take away value because they become outdated so quickly. It really just depends on your price range. Obviously getting a 2015 would be best for reliability since they worked out all the issues by then.
As far as what to look for, check the fluids and make sure you have a good service history on the car. I prefer to buy a car with worn tires because then I can tell if there’s any suspension damage, etc. If these cars have been abused you can pretty easily tell.Good luck on your purchase!

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
thanks. any year know more for reliability? I want to keep this thing forever
A good general guide is the newest year of a said generation should be best... so since you are looking a gen 2.5, the '15 should be the most reliable. We got ours with 36k on it 2 years ago, I'd look for one with around 50k or less at this point. Ours has been rock solid.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
831 Posts
Alternatively, and not to contradict what @cintocrunch said, if price is an issue, consider looking for a Pilot that just rolled over 100k miles. If it's had transmission service at least 1 or 2 times during that time and the timing belt has been done, you've got yourself a reliable car that is good for another 100k miles before needing anything major. Otherwise, if you plan to keep the car forever, spending a little more money up front to get something low mileage would likely be the better choice.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Alternatively, and not to contradict what @cintocrunch said, if price is an issue, consider looking for a Pilot that just rolled over 100k miles. If it's had transmission service at least 1 or 2 times during that time and the timing belt has been done, you've got yourself a reliable car that is good for another 100k miles before needing anything major. Otherwise, if you plan to keep the car forever, spending a little more money up front to get something low mileage would likely be the better choice.
This is a fair point, and really the OP needs to determine what their long term needs are for the vehicle. When we bought our Pilot we went as new and low mileage as possible because we need this thing to go the distance and be around forever as my wife's vehicle. When we bought our Traverse we were in a budget that was half as much, so a year older and 80k miles was what we purchased. But this one is looking at a ~5 year lifespan with us and likely will be traded in so I can get a pickup again once all of the kids are in booster seats or less.

My biggest suggestion to the OP if looking at the 100k mark is to get paperwork or carfax stating the timing belt was done... if it wasn't then I'd ask for an extra $1k off to account for the cost of that service.

Reactions: Jack Vogt

·
Registered
61 Posts
Have someone who knows Pilots inspect a prospective purchase.

For me, the palpable shudder from the factory variable cylinder management function wasn't acceptable and contributes to oil consumption, piston ring and spark plug damage as well as motor mount failure. There are a couple of relatively low cost aftermarket solutions for it but if the cylinder(s) are buggered already, then Honda should take care of internal engine problems under a TSB--but will not kill the cylinder management function. After that, there seem to be some rear drive shaft balance issues reported as well as some torque converter shuttering. I'm sure there are more common issues available for your research but these are the issues on my radar as a new owner of a 63K miles '13.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I would not recommend purchasing a 2012-2015 Honda Pilot at all. We've had ours for 4 years (purchased with 32K miles) and has every Honda law suit related issue known for these years model Pilot. Compliance bushings, vibrations, failed wheel bearings, failed motor mounts, failed lift-gate stays, we have an un-diagnosable loud screeching/squeaking at 20-25mph when accelerating that Honda and no other mechanic has been able to diagnose. All this happening before 75K miles. This vehicle has been a ridiculous money sink due to early part failures and repairs, lost time etc. The recent motor mount parts cost for the OEM parts is ~$900 after tax for the front and rear mounts at $496 msrp a piece (I wouldn't trust after market mounts for this crap pile of a vehicle). Not to mention the VCM issues. I had to buy a VCMuzzler to quiet that fail of Honda engineering.

Edit: additionally, there are major problems with sluggish acceleration at times and this is a common problem across many of this model/year group. Its caused safety problems getting on/off the freeway at times and no dealer/private mechanic has been able to fix it.

If I had the option to not buy one, I wouldn't. Unfortunately ours is paid off and so we're stuck with it. And I wouldn't dare sell it with an un-diagnosed issue.

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
Like anything else, YMMV...

Our 2012 Touring AWD is still going strong. Our daughter has it now.

We bought it as a CPO with 10K miles and put another 100K on it before giving it to her. Only issues we had outside of normal maintenance items were a transmission sensor and the compliance bushings which were both covered under warranty.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My 2012 EX has 130k and I've done no repairs besides regular maintenance, timing belt and a wheel bearing that I screwed up when I hit a curb on ice. We love it. I can feel just the slightest vibration when VCM kicks in - but only when it's pretty cold outside. It has never bothered me at all. Sounds like others have had a different experience. You see these cars everywhere out on the streets. My only complaint has been the cloth seats. They are impossible to keep clean. When you shampoo them, a whole new set of stains pop up. If you spill water on them, a stain appears. It's crazy.

·
Registered
17 Posts
with all the negative's you guys write, I wish I didn't buy a Pilot, I can't tell you what mines is like, after picking it up from the dealer on a Saturday, a deer jump out in front of me on the following Sunday night. $5500 worth of damage. it's a 2015 Touring. when I did my research the 2015 is supposed to be the most reliable according to Consumer Report. what I don't like is the shudder, hopefully the vcmuzzler will solve that problem. If I were you, I'd have the motor mounts checked. I see a lot of Pilot's on the road, do you guys have anything positive to say about the Pilot?

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
with all the negative's you guys write, I wish I didn't buy a Pilot, I can't tell you what mines is like, after picking it up from the dealer on a Saturday, a deer jump out in front of me on the following Sunday night. $5500 worth of damage. it's a 2015 Touring. when I did my research the 2015 is supposed to be the most reliable according to Consumer Report. what I don't like is the shudder, hopefully the vcmuzzler will solve that problem. If I were you, I'd have the motor mounts checked. I see a lot of Pilot's on the road, do you guys have anything positive to say about the Pilot?
I don't have anything negative to say about our '15. My wife loves it, my kids love it, I love it when I get the seat fully dialed in. Some complain about the abundance of hard plastics. I quite like the design of the interior, I really like the design of the exterior, I like how the interior feels durable to me, not cheap. I see leather and cloth on door panels and dashes as items to get stained and more of a pain to clean. I did the muzzler right away even though ours didn't have the shudder, I have no interest in running my engine on anything less than 6 cylinders.

My biggest gripe with the Pilot is that the transmission dipstick tube is so dang small I can get a funnel in it to refill the transmission. I solved this problem by getting a fluid syringe that had a small enough plastic tip and glued a long funnel into the end of it. I can dump a whole quart into my setup at a time, it takes a minute for all of the fluid to drain down but it doesn't drip at all.

I like that the second gen has the tow package from the factory, all I did was add the 7 pin connector. No wondering what my tow rating is and whether I have the right radiator or other parts.

I love how when I am underneath the vehicle it is clear they intended the 2nd gen to be used as a soft roader, parts are tucked up pretty high and generally well protected for this class of vehicle.

I love that while the J35/5 speed may not be the quickest in a straight line it is almost always in the right gear for the driving situation. It is always in the right gear instead of holding the highest gear until enough throttle is applied, resulting in lugging followed by a harsh downshift (like my Traverse 6 speed).

Just brain dumping here, but we love ours!

Reactions: JazzLuva

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
the Second Gen Pilots are Deer magnets .. I'm up to 3 so far including one that Hit my Pilot sitting in a McDonalds parking lot!... Guess he was pissed i would share my fries

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
the Second Gen Pilots are Deer magnets .. I'm up to 3 so far including one that Hit my Pilot sitting in a McDonalds parking lot!... Guess he was pissed i would share my fries
Man you are on a roll today with your posts! It's Friday, lighten up and make sure you share those fries with me!

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Man you are on a roll today with your posts! It's Friday, lighten up and make sure you share those fries with me!
No way man those fries are awesome ..LOL cant say the same bout the burgers

·
Registered
481 Posts
2013 EX with 90k miles. Using VCM Tuner II. Aside from a single failed transmission sensor (a $50 DIY fix), zero issues. Just regular maintenance stuff. Put in Centric rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Michelin Defender tires, added heat in front and rear seats, fully upgraded audio with new head/amp/speakers/sub. Absolutely love this car.

For seats, I recommend custom CoverKing covers.
I like their 'Spacer Mesh' (used to be called VelociVent), but they carry all sorts - neoprene, suede, plush velour, genuine leather etc.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a 2012 touring model with about 135k on it now I believe. We have had NO issues on it that weren't caused by my wife (she ran over a street pole with the pilot that a wreck had just knocked over and messed up the alignment a bit) with the exception of a dripping washer fluid reservoir. I highly recommend the touring model if you can get one. So far the maintenance is the only thing we have had to do. No shudder, no acceleration problems, none of that. We bought it used at 60k or so. If they are taken care of they are usually fine. bcarpenter is the only person I've heard of having so many problems but maybe I just haven't read enough horror stories lol. Also in my experience with vehicles in general, It's the year before the last one for a body style that I have best luck with. Seems the last year sometimes has QC and other small issues if its one of the last ones off the line and a lot of times manufacturers will try to cheapen them out knowing they won't be as profitable that year. But that's a personal experience working on friends and family and my own stuff, no real evidence to to back it up as a whole.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts