Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend just had their new black Pilot delivered. While they thought they were getting one with RES, the dealer who delivered it thought that it was without RES (I guess there is a chance that there could have been a misunderstanding). So, the dealer says that he will install a factory RES at cost if they bring it in.

So...what do any of you think about the dealer doing an OEM RES install? How does/should it compare to having a 3rd party do it?

--Bret

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
:( they can install the RES like the factory and even provide some warranty on it. but the VIN will show an EXL without the RES. if it is okay with you that should be no problem.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The DVD player that are dealer installed around here had some plusses and minuses. The plusses were 1 inch bigger screen and TV tuner built in the unit, factory does not, same warrranty as the factory ones . Minuses were the housing was black, not the factory gray. I never looked at one very closely, this is what they told us.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
My question is, if they were suppose to get a RES with their vehicle, then did they negociate a price before or after the Pilot came in? If it was before hand, then they paid too much, right?

·
Registered
461 Posts
I would make them give me a new car...the one that was ordered. Sounds like you paid for an EXL RES and were anticipating the 3 years of service that comes with that. Even if the dealer installs a Honda DVD after you have taken posession of the vehicle, it will only have a one year /12,000 warranty. If it is installed before delivery at the dealer, then it would have the same 3 year 36K protection. But that said, if I'd ordered an EXL RES, I'd make them give me an EXL RES...even if they had to reorder a 2004 model. Look at the purchase order and confirm the model that you signed for.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Folks:

Thanks for the replies. As I mentioned, this was for a friend of mine (I am quite happy with my factory installed RES). The warranty issue that my3kids mentioned is an excellent point. I will tell them to ask this. They did seem to be getting a good deal, so I think the price was predicated on the non-RES (the dealer never mentioned RES in the emails...so it is likely a simple mistake).

--Bret

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
When the dealer offered to install the RES system in my Pilot, they advised it would have the same warranty 3/36000.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Accessories installed as part of the purchase do have the same 3 yr/36,000 mile warranty. Honda said ones purchased and installed after the car has been delivered have a 12 month/12,000 warranty. I didn't need my towing package for a while, but had it installed prior to delivery so it would get the same bumber to bumper warranty.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
So since this is an "after delivery" install, they will only get the 12month/12,000mile waranty? Sounds like a bad deal for something electronic.

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
Items installed by a Honda dealer after delivery get the balance of the factory warranty or 12 months, whichever is longer. Items installed by the customer get a 12 month warranty.

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
tim.s said:
So since this is an "after delivery" install, they will only get the 12month/12,000mile waranty? Sounds like a bad deal for something electronic.
unless you use this fact to get a better discount on the unit ;)

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good suggestions. I called my friend and she is calling the dealer to ask about the warranty. I'll let you know what I find out.

The reason they didn't refuse it was that they didn't want to wait at least another 6 weeks for a black, EXL-RES. But within the first 24 hours they love the car! Of course, we all could have predicted that...

--Bret

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
jay said:
Items installed by a Honda dealer after delivery get the balance of the factory warranty or 12 months, whichever is longer. Items installed by the customer get a 12 month warranty.
Go read page 37 of the warranty manual, and you'll see that what I said in this post is correct. If I had a scanner, I'd scan it in the morning, I'd scan it in the evening, all over this land......

It is the longer of: balance of the factory warranty or - 1 year or 12,000 miles, whichever is first.

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
jay said:

Go read page 37 of the warranty manual, and you'll see that what I said in this post is correct. If I had a scanner, I'd scan it in the morning, I'd scan it in the evening, all over this land......

It is the longer of: balance of the factory warranty or - 1 year or 12,000 miles, whichever is first.
jay: Here you go... :)

Attachments

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
bret11 said:
Good suggestions. I called my friend and she is calling the dealer to ask about the warranty. I'll let you know what I find out.

The reason they didn't refuse it was that they didn't want to wait at least another 6 weeks for a black, EXL-RES. But within the first 24 hours they love the car! Of course, we all could have predicted that...

--Bret
Be sure and let us know what the dealer told her, and run from any dealer who doesn't give a correct answer.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
jay said:

Be sure and let us know what the dealer told her, and run from any dealer who doesn't give a correct answer.
Will do.

--Bret

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Update:

So my friend got the car back today with the "Honda RES system" :headshak:

(o.k., so you can tell by the quotation marks where this is going...)

Turns out that, best as I can tell on the phone (and her husband had the car so she couldn't look at it), the dealer installed the OEM DVD player in the dash, but the screen has no controls on the front face, and they did not install any of the connectors in the center console. It also looks like she has the EX-L OEM stereo instead of the EX-L RES one so that she can not control the DVD player form it, or what plays where (we aren't sure about this...she is going to check tonight). She called the dealer and spoke to the service manager, who is going to call her back. He did say that since she paid for the extended warranty that it will be covered for 3yr/36K (does anyone know if this is really true?).

So...stay tuned...

--Bret

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
bret11 said:

snip...

He did say that since she paid for the extended warranty that it will be covered for 3yr/36K (does anyone know if this is really true?).

So...stay tuned...

--Bret
Bret, Bret, Bret,

After my posts and kemo's scan of page 36 of the warranty manual, you can see on the surface that this is BS. It's covered by that warranty by virtue of having been dealer-installed. An extended warranty has nothing whatsoever to do with what the original coverage is on dealer installed accessories.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts