Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have replaced the four door speakers and I am looking to replace the head unit in my wife's Pilot. Has anyone done just this? Was there an improvement in the sound quality? CD's sound great w/ the new speakers but FM/AM still don't sound clear. Also, how did you hook up the speakers on the new head unit? I am not opposed to adding a single amplifier to run the 4 door speakers and the sub but I would rather not if I can get by w/out one. Has anyone done this or anything similiar? Were you able to use the steering wheel controls? I have the Crutchfield install guide and have seen the wiring diagram for the speaker hook up. If I end up having to hook up an amp, I was thinking of hooking up the tweeters to the head unit speaker leads so they wouldn't be wasted. Any thoughts/ideas are appreciated. :)

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
jproffitt said:
CD's sound great w/ the new speakers but FM/AM still don't sound clear.
There have been a number of complaints about the antennae reception on the Pilot which may be the cause of your problem.

·
Registered
199 Posts
The best improvements usually come from replacing the speakers, since that's what you listen to. Which speakers did you use and are you happy with the sound? Unless you are trying to solve a specific problem or gain a specific feature, you'll get relatively less improvement for the dollar replacing the head unit.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Birdman,
I replaced the door speakers with the Infinity's that everyone else talked about. CD's sound great and if the FM/AM performance was even close I would be relatively happy. There is such a huge difference in sound quality between the two that I'm debating more $$ for a new H.U. I'm just wondering if the FM/AM sensitivity is that bad or if it is just bad reception. I tuned it to the strongest station that I know of near me and the sound is still not that good. To me, the radio sounds like I'm still listening to the old stock speakers, and CD's are playing on the new speakers. I don't want anything fancy, just nice, clear sound on the radio and CD. I am going to experiment a little when I get the chance and hook up the speakers to the amp/H.U. in my truck. This will give me a direct comparison between the two to see how it sounds. Thanks for your input and any further suggestions.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Even if you changed every audio component in the car, your radio reception will always sound like crap because it's analog and cds are digital.

What your experiencing with your radio is normal.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts