Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We blew the engine on our 2013 EXL pilot and are sadly having to look for a replacement. I've scoured car-part.com, but it's quite laborious to check each supplier's inventory and call and deal with non-customer service oriented attendants... Anyone have any positive experiences locating a used engine? And traps I need to be wary of? Any success stories or horror stories? Thanks

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Get the best warranty you can find... to me it's worth spending a little more for the extra peace of mind.

How did you blow the engine?

·
Registered
179 Posts
I would try a large salvage company like LKQ. Most salvage yards will only offer a replacement part or credit as warranty, so if you go to a small yard what are the chances of getting another J35. I would also suggest pulling off the valve covers and inspect if they would allow. Do some research because I have read that you can use the odyssey engine and there are multiple people on this forum that have with success. It is about half the price I believe, but I will wait on Tahoefever to correct me on the j35 variants and any other maintenance suggestions because through his comments he is obviously a master mechanic.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Get the best warranty you can find... to me it's worth spending a little more for the extra peace of mind.

How did you blow the engine?
We had a sudden coolant leak and I figured we could make it to our destination to refill it. Didn't know any the leak until after, so I didn't realize the urgency. Now I know!

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,277 Posts
Couple of other choices if you have problems finding a motor.

In case you are near Atlanta: Engine Replacement Service Marietta and Atlanta, GA | Rebuilt Engine Company

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I've found an engine which may work, but it's from a 4WD Pilot, and mine is a 2WD. Are those fine to just pop in, or will there be compatibility issues?

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,408 Posts
Well, I've found an engine which may work, but it's from a 4WD Pilot, and mine is a 2WD. Are those fine to just pop in, or will there be compatibility issues?
It has to be the exact same. 2WD only. There are several posts on here of people buying the wrong motor. Honda made them different for some reason.

·
Registered
179 Posts
It has to be the exact same. 2WD only. There are several posts on here of people buying the wrong motor. Honda made them different for some reason.
That simply is not true. There are several members who have swapped j35 engines from different models and awd/2wd.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,408 Posts
That simply is not true. There are several members who have swapped j35 engines from different models and awd/2wd.
I’m not saying it’s not possible, but the engines are different or have different wiring hardnesses. It’s always best to get the exact same engine as was previously in your car.

I have a 2008 EX-L 2WD. The 4WD engine is completely different and would t work. People have posted on here how they got a different motor and had to do a lot of adjustment to make it work.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts