Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't heard this discussed in an auto forum before so I thought I'd bring it up to hear some opinions: replacing a perfectly good compressor (and receiver/drier and o-rings) on a car with 125,000 miles and 13 years old to avoid the cost associated with a catastrophic failure that sprays shrapnel throughout the system. The miles and age is arbitrary. If you think it's a good idea what numbers would you use?
2012 Pilot 4WD EX 92,000 miles

·
Registered
Glorificatus Oleum Mutante
12,420 Posts
I haven't heard this discussed in an auto forum before so I thought I'd bring it up to hear some opinions: replacing a perfectly good compressor (and receiver/drier and o-rings) on a car with 125,000 miles and 13 years old to avoid the cost associated with a catastrophic failure that sprays shrapnel throughout the system. The miles and age is arbitrary. If you think it's a good idea what numbers would you use?
2012 Pilot 4WD EX 92,000 miles
I'd never say no, but most of us are still running with original AC compressors with high milage. My 2012 V6 Crosstour is at 262k miles with no AC troubles.

·
Registered
Glorificatus Oleum Mutante
12,420 Posts
I would not open up a functioning A/C system to prevent an unknown future problem.
I agree. I'd cross that bridge when I had to. Could total the vehicle tomorrow.

Reactions: aggrex

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
5,112 Posts
With regular AC service the likely hood of a compressor experiencing catastrophic failure is minimal. As long as the compressor has plenty of oil to stay lubricated then you should be good. The AC system is something that most people don't think about or service until something has failed.

Personally I have mine checked/serviced every 3 years. The only AC problem I have ever had was a broken AC lines to and from the condenser. But then that truck that slammed into the front of my parked vehicle probably had something to do with the problem as the whole radiator unit was wrapped around the front of the engine.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I have had several cars over 300,000 miles and can’t remember ever replacing one due to catastrophic failure. Usually, they leak first.

If it is working ok and not leaking I would not change it. If you are going to change it I would use Denso.

·
Registered
2012 Honda Pilot
35 Posts
I have a 2003 CR-V, those are known for compressor failures. But other than known issues like that there's no reason to worry about it. Not sure why the CR-Vs are known to fail. I know they are located at the very bottom of the engine right behind the radiator. So not sure if either bad design or just maybe they get hotter.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,702 Posts
I would not proactively replace something like that. Just get it charged every few years and you'll be good.

I think it's one of those things that if you replace it, the parts you use probably won't be as good as OEM parts.

·
Registered
807 Posts
I wouldn’t touch it. I’ve got a 2001 IS300 with 237k miles that has never had any AC work of any kind done to it. There is nothing to say a failure at your age / mileage is coming or likely.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts