Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Pilot is 2,500 miles away from me. I hope to fly to her at the end of October - long story !

When I get to her, I wish to replace the axles as the CV boots have got holes in them.

What's the best way: 1) Undo stuff so the brake rings stay more or less where they are, just hangs down
2) Remove brake pads and swing wheels to right so you can really get to the axles ?

I need to collect tools that I won't have there. So, what is the diameter of the axle ? have I heard, 32mm, and 36mm.

What size wrenches do I need to split ball joints ? What is the name of a cheap ball joint splitter ?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
What is the name of a cheap ball joint splitter ?
Since your Pilot is a 2006 with torn CV boots it’s likely the compliance bushings are cracked and need replacement so factor in some new LCAs. Got my ball joint tools from local Harbor Freight so use an equivalent store.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Since your Pilot is a 2006 with torn CV boots it’s likely the compliance bushings are cracked and need replacement so factor in some new LCAs. Got my ball joint tools from local Harbor Freight so use an equivalent store.
Thanks, but what are "LCA's" ?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a copy of the service manual for my Pilot 2006. It recommends removing the lower ball joint so as to swing the hub outwards to remove the outer axle boot end from the hub.
HOWEVER, I have seen another video which removes the hub from the strut by removing the two bolts from the strut and then swinging the hub outwards to remove the outer end.

Any comments which method is better ?

Thanks. I'm a newbie on Pilots but otherwise not a bad spare time mechanic.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,532 Posts
You're usually better off just replacing the entire LCA, not just the bushing. A lot easier and hardly more expensive than a ball joint.

2006 HONDA PILOT 3.5L V6 Control Arm | RockAuto

Don't forget to apply your Piloteers 5% discount code in the right location before you finish paying.

5% Discount Code: 1A7CA5AE90B099
Expires: November 12, 2021

Please enter this code in the ‘How Did You Hear about Us’ box to receive the discount. Please enter ONLY the discount code, no other words or numbers. All orders are placed online and the discount code must be entered before an order is submitted to receive the discount.

·
Registered
10,532 Posts
Definitely spend the little more for the MOOG brand if you plan to keep the car for a while.
I dunno. Moog used to be pretty good, but for years now they've been sliding. Nowadays, I'd favor Mevotech. I'm not the only one to notice, lol. Eric is usually quite chill, but Moog finally got his goat.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I dunno. Moog used to be pretty good, but for years now they've been sliding. Nowadays, I'd favor Mevotech. I'm not the only one to notice, lol. Eric is usually quite chill, but Moog finally got his goat.

Good to know, used MOOG for almost anything rubber in the past. Shame their quality has dropped.

·
Registered
10,532 Posts
My Mevotech LCA bushings cracked in less than 2 years on my Subaru. Replaced under warranty though.
All the more reason to spray your undercarriage rubber with AT-205 once a year or so if you can get it, regardless of if it's Moog, Mevotech, OEM or anything else.

What would you get now, BTW?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts