Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search but the functionality is pretty limited at least on mobile...

What are people replacing these ridiculously fast-wearing Continentals with?

·
Registered
11,381 Posts
@Nail Grease - are you awake?
I didn't figure I'd do the OP much good. I buy 60k-65k mile tires that are at a lower cost and to hopefully go 3 years (driving less). High Performance Sumitomo HTR A/S P03s continue to go up in price, which doesn't help. 🙁

·
Registered
269 Posts
Other than the road noise, I am still happy with my original Bridgstone Duellers after 66000 miles. But the time to replace has come after 4 years on these. I too am trying to decide. I would certainly like a quieter tire, but I like going 4 years between replacing too. I get my tires at Sams, usually Michelins. If I stay with Michelins I will probably get the Defenders at $216. With Sams $70 off right now it helps lower the cost some and Plus members get an additional $40 off install so they come to about $188 each. Tire aint cheap!

·
Registered
9,751 Posts
I didn't figure I'd do the OP much good. I buy 60k-65k mile tires that are at a lower cost and to hopefully go 3 years (driving less). High Performance Sumitomo HTR A/S P03s continue to go up in price, which doesn't help. 🙁
But, you didn't ask the OP about the importance of being able to take corners at 75 mph and/or lead the pack.

·
Registered
11,381 Posts
But, you didn't ask the OP about the importance of being able to take corners at 75 mph and/or lead the pack.
Well, I like a tire with plenty of grip and sidewalls that don't roll over in the corner (at any speed). My High Performance Sumitomo HTR A/S P02s (42psi hot) allow me to hold my line on the bottom, in a left highway speed turn with no worries of drifting up into the side of someone. I shouldn't have to slow to 50mph in a posted 70mph turn. It's my opinion that a touring tire doesn't belong on these 5000Lb vehicles (when loaded). With the right tire, you can lead the pack with a V6 under the hood. I've owned a Honda Odyssey, I dont like the cushy bouncy ride going down the highway.

·
Registered
11,381 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
I bought the Goodyear Assurance® All-Season for my 2017 EX-L and couldn't be happier. So much quieter and better than the stock that came with it.

·
Registered
9,751 Posts

·
Registered
11,381 Posts
Of course you wouldn't buy those tires - they're made in the USA.
You like cheap imported tires.
I own lots of products made in the USA. Even a set of Michelins.
I buy products that fit my needs.
Sumitomo employees U.S. workers too.

·
Registered
440 Posts
@dasman what are you looking for? A comfortable quiet highway touring tire? Something with more grip and performance?

Where do you live? Is this a 4-season tire you're going to be running in snow or do you live in S Florida where it's always warm?

·
Registered
9,751 Posts
I own lots of products made in the USA. Even a set of Michelins.
I buy products that fit my needs.
Sumitomo employees U.S. workers too.
Did you buy that set of Michelin tires new, or did it come already installed on one of those Copart rebuildable wrecks?

·
Registered
11,381 Posts
Did you buy that set of Michelin tires new, or did it come already installed on one of those Copart rebuildable wrecks?
My X5 is not rebuilt.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
@dasman what are you looking for? A comfortable quiet highway touring tire? Something with more grip and performance?

Where do you live? Is this a 4-season tire you're going to be running in snow or do you live in S Florida where it's always warm?
Love the ride on the Contis, handling could be better but not the ultimate dealbreaker. We had a 2016 Elite and pretty much same deal - great ride, wearing by 30K miles... ridiculous but seems common. I live in NC - in a non Covid world we’d drive up north once or twice a year.

if I could have the Contis but not have them wear unacceptably by 30K, maybe a little better handling (but not at the expense of noise) would be a bonus.

·
Registered
2019 Pilot Elite
580 Posts
For longest treadlife, TireRack recommends the Firestone Destination LE3.
Firestone Destination LE3 Tire | Advanced All-Season Tire Technology

Note, however, that the Goodyear Assurance MaxLife has an 85K mile treadlife warranty versus only 70K for the Firestone tire.

I had these on my Jeep Grand Cherokee, the LE2 version and loved them.

There were 2 times i went with something else bc there was a closeout on other tires and regretted it both times.

·
Registered
9,751 Posts
Love the ride on the Contis, handling could be better but not the ultimate dealbreaker. We had a 2016 Elite and pretty much same deal - great ride, wearing by 30K miles... ridiculous but seems common. I live in NC - in a non Covid world we’d drive up north once or twice a year.

if I could have the Contis but not have them wear unacceptably by 30K, maybe a little better handling (but not at the expense of noise) would be a bonus.
How long do you think a set of tires should last?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts