Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

Replacement shocks

6K views 23 replies 13 participants last post by  STMech 
#1 ·
Greetings all. I replaced my original shocks and struts for my 06 Pilotwith a set from 1a auto and they are terrible! They are noisy as heck. I was thinking of buying another set of shocks and just dealing with the front struts. Anyone have any recommendations for the shocks? Don’t want to buy another pair of garbage. Thank you all in advance.

#5 ·
+1 on the KYB from Rockauto.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog...on,strut+/+coil+spring+/+mount+assembly,15174

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/honda,2006,pilot,3.5l+v6,1432632,suspension,strut,7584

Whichever you choose, they're currently both running a $25 Visa gift card promotion. As well, don't forget the 5% discount for members of this forum.

5% Discount Code: 6F3FAEF349C046
Expires: February 12, 2020

#19 ·
#20 ·
Buy the Scotty Kilmer t-shirt!

#7 ·
Another vote for KYB.

#8 ·
Did anyone use Sachs from RA on the rear? How did they hold up?

#9 ·
Do not buy Off Brand shocks and struts. They have some great deals at Rock Auto, stick with Gabriel, Monroe, Sachs, or KYB, although I put Bilsteins on the BMW (German made). The FCS and other Chinese brands are mostly garbage, and the cheepest Monroe will outperform the top end Chinese garbage.
KYB is now making quick-struts, those might be a good deal - more research is necessary.

#10 ·
I wish Bilstein made struts for Pilots of our generation!

#14 ·
Does anyone have experience with purchasing and installing air bag helper spring inside the rear coil springs like th Firstone Coil-Rite?

Alternatively, has anyone found and installed rear shocks that are wrapped with springs (like for towing). I'm interested in ways to get rid of the rear sag on my pilot, which is not something that is correctable from standard shocks (just replaced with Gabriel shocks as it was due). I really don't want to replace or even remove the rear coil spring. Did this on a 2011 and can't imagine the further issues on a 6 year older Pilot that has been exposed to midwest winters. Thanks!

#15 ·
Does anyone have experience with purchasing and installing air bag helper spring inside the rear coil springs like th Firstone Coil-Rite?

Alternatively, has anyone found and installed rear shocks that are wrapped with springs (like for towing). I'm interested in ways to get rid of the rear sag on my pilot, which is not something that is correctable from standard shocks (just replaced with Gabriel shocks as it was due). I really don't want to replace or even remove the rear coil spring. Did this on a 2011 and can't imagine the further issues on a 6 year older Pilot that has been exposed to midwest winters. Thanks!
Link for coil rite: https://www.sdtrucksprings.com/inde...MIo8Lm7rSc5gIVTvDACh14xQMcEAQYASABEgKPevD_BwE

#16 ·
So one thing that is making me think about the OP. What kind of noise are you getting that is being attributed to the shocks? Rattles can be cured with a thin washer between the eye bushing and the hanger. Squeaks are often the bushings or spring insulators. Clunks are the strut mounts. A brand new shock or strut, if not blown or leaking, will not usually make any noise.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.