Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are you paying for your smart-key ?

Cutting only ?
Programming only ?
Blank Blade ?
Full key replacement ? ( blank, cut and programmed from an Original Honda Key )

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Boston Car Keys fees

$35: to cut if you bring in your own blank key (blade)
$45: to program to immobilizer
$65: they give you a cut and programmed key WITHOUT FOB. (cut from your Original Honda key)
$120: they give you a fully programmed and cut key WITH FOB. (duplicated from your Original Honda Key)**

** Better value would be to get the $65 withOUT FOB, and purchase a $10 blank FOB from Ebay or Amazon and program it yourself. That will save you about $45

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,260 Posts

Seems like a long way to go for some folks to get a key made. Here I use Central Key & Safe for all my key needs. They don't list their prices but Call 316-262-6144 for a FREE estimate today.

Locally, prices don't seem to be listed. We have one company that not only does keys but will also flash the computer.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I bought 2 Blank keys off Ebay... OEM Electronics included (transponder) = $17 total
Got both keys "CUT" for $70 ($35 each)
Bought a KeyProgrammer off Ebay $42 (taxes added in)

Bought the KeyProgrammer because, the locksmith stores wanted a minimum of $45 per key to program the Transponders. (more if they had to also program the FOBs)

Programmed my Immobilizer on both keys in about 5 minutes total, saving me $50 if I had the Locksmith do the programming. Instructions to use the KeyProgrammer in below link.
EasyKeyMaker Honda Key Programmer

Now I can either re-sell the KeyProgrammer if I wanted to, or, I can offer programming services to friends/neighbors/associates in need. The KeyProgrammer is alleged to work on ALL HONDA VEHICLES

My vehicle: 2008 Honda Pilot EX-L w/NAVI

20200605_142423.jpg

·
Registered
2004 Pilot EX-L
500 Posts
How many immobilizer keys can you have on an 04? The FSM says there's a maximum of 3 remotes for locking/unlocking the doors, but I'm wondering if I can have 4 or more keys programmed into in the immobilizer system.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How many immobilizer keys can you have on an 04? The FSM says there's a maximum of 3 remotes for locking/unlocking the doors, but I'm wondering if I can have 4 or more keys programmed into in the immobilizer system.
In the descriptions for the EasyKeyMaker, it stated:
H. Repeat step F,G, register more up to 6 keys.

I had only 2 new Keys to program, so I wasn't able to test that limit.

·
Registered
2004 Pilot EX-L
500 Posts
In the descriptions for the EasyKeyMaker, it stated:

I had only 2 new Keys to program, so I wasn't able to test that limit.
I saw that, but I'm not sure I believe it. Was hoping someone could confirm that they have at least 4 immobilizer keys on an 04, since 3 is the limit for remotes.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I saw that, but I'm not sure I believe it. Was hoping someone could confirm that they have at least 4 immobilizer keys on an 04, since 3 is the limit for remotes.
On an Odyssey this guy (video below) was able to program 5 Keys.
He tried to program 6, but the program kicked the FIRST out.

Still searching to confirm Pilots limits...

Reviewing a few other HONDA KEY PROGRAMMERS, I have "read" some "MENU" giving the programmer option to "Program 6 KEYS"

On HDS , the Immo menu , also states Up To 6 Keys .
(untested by me because I don't have 6 "CUT KEYS" available to TEST)..

·
Registered
16 Posts
I bought 2 Blank keys off Ebay... OEM Electronics included (transponder) = $17 total
Got both keys "CUT" for $70 ($35 each)
Bought a KeyProgrammer off Ebay $42 (taxes added in)

Bought the KeyProgrammer because, the locksmith stores wanted a minimum of $45 per key to program the Transponders. (more if they had to also program the FOBs)

Programmed my Immobilizer on both keys in about 5 minutes total, saving me $50 if I had the Locksmith do the programming. Instructions to use the KeyProgrammer in below link.

Now I can either re-sell the KeyProgrammer if I wanted to, or, I can offer programming services to friends/neighbors/associates in need. The KeyProgrammer is alleged to work on ALL HONDA VEHICLES

My vehicle: 2008 Honda Pilot EX-L w/NAVI

View attachment 136896

I love those intructions. Will have to read that a couple times to absorb: Di, Di Di

1). For transponder key.
A. Switch to "IMMO", and prepare all keys to register.
B. Turn ignition ON to position II(Instrument panel light on but engine OFF), connect programmer to OBDII socket
C. The buzzer periodically short beep with "Di", Turn ignition OFF.
D. The buzzer periodically short beep with "Di, Di, Di", turn ignition on without changing key.
E. The buzzer long beep once "Di---", key registration begins.
F. The buzzer periodically short beep with "Di", Turn ignition OFF.
G. The buzzer periodically short beep with "Di, Di", Change another key and turn ignition ON
I. For last key: First turn ignition ON/OFF following above instructions. When the buzzer periodically short beep with "Di Di", turn on ignition WITHOUT changing key. Then the buzzer periodically short beep with "Di", DO NOT turn off ignition and keep ignition on for more than 20 seconds.
J. The buzzer long beep once "Di---", key registration finished.
K. The buzzer periodically long beep with "Di---", start to learn

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I love those intructions. Will have to read that a couple times to absorb: Di, Di Di

1). For transponder key.
C. The buzzer periodically short beep with "Di", Turn ignition OFF.
D. The buzzer periodically short beep with "Di, Di, Di", turn ignition on without changing key.
E. The buzzer long beep once "Di---", key registration begins.
F. The buzzer periodically short beep with "Di", Turn ignition OFF.
G. The buzzer periodically short beep with "Di, Di", Change another key and turn ignition ON
I. For last key: First turn ignition ON/OFF following above instructions. When the buzzer periodically short beep with "Di Di", turn on ignition WITHOUT changing key. Then the buzzer periodically short beep with "Di", DO NOT turn off ignition and keep ignition on for more than 20 seconds.
J. The buzzer long beep once "Di---", key registration finished.
K. The buzzer periodically long beep with "Di---", start to learn

Wha is "Di---", "Di,Di,Di" ?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Bought a KeyProgrammer off Ebay
Instructions
TLDR; EasyKeyMaker failed to beep/work in my pilot with unprogrammed key, but beeped in my civic with programmed key. Unsure if device supports all keys lost function as advertised. (Note: in a subsequent comment I explain how I discovered that it didsn't support my vehicle, so this is NOT an adequate test of support for all keys lost function.)
--------------

I saw this post after losing all keys to my 04 Pilot and decided to try the same route rather than having it towed or paying locksmith for a house call. When I tried using the easy key maker to program newly cut keys, however, the device failed to beep at all. Unsure if i got a defective unit, I tried it in my civic with a programmed key, and the unit beeped as per the instructions. So it's not that the unit doesn't work at all, it just didn't work in the pilot with no working key. (I later discovered it also didn't beep in the pilot when i did have a working key, either.)

I have been unable to find any separate instructions from any seller or manufacturer for how to program keys when you don't have any working key. If I ever find them I'll post them here. Until then, I'm not sure if it supports all keys lost, as advertised.

·
Registered
5 Posts
TLDR; all metal dummy key blade from dealer cut for my 2004: $4. Three non oem transponder keys from ebay, uncut: $20. Having three transponder keys cut at dealer: $10.
--------

A few other notes about key making costs based on my experience. If you ever lock your only keys in the car and the dealership parts department is open and you can get a ride there and back, for less than $5 they can cut you an all metal dummy key that will unlock your doors. You would need to provide your vin/proof of ownership which could be accomplished by logging into your dmv account. Ideally you'd also show your driver's license but if you didn't have hopefully the fact that you can login to the car's dmv registration page is convincing enough.

I ordered non oem blanks from eBay which don't have any markings at all, not even the letter H. The best price I found was 3 for $20.

When I called dealers to get these blanks cut, the first dealer said they don't cut keys they don't sell. The second dealer said they'd do it free if I provided vin proof of ownership etc, but when i went there after the keys arrived they wanted some higher price which I cannot remember now, say $30/key. So I called the third dealer and asked if they would do it and they said sure, then I asked how much and I honestly think he just made up a price. He said $10. So then I said I had three, is it $10 for all three? And he said yes. I think if i had asked the question differently, or not asked, I could have gotten it done free. So when you call keep in mind they may not have a price so be extra nice. My parts receipt said "key cuttin" and for the part number it said NPN (no part number). It was $10 plus tax (don't get me started on how silly it is to charge sales tax for labor, but all repair shops seem to do this I've noticed).

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I saw this post after losing all keys to my 04 Pilot and decided to try the same route rather than having it towed or paying locksmith for a house call. However, this device does NOT support all keys lost. You have to have a working key transponder to begin the process. The instructions clearly say that and the video shows that. When you try with a new key, the unit flashes red then green but makes no sounds at all. The key light flashes on the dash. So I wasn't sure if i got a defective unit. So I tried it in my civic which has a key and the unit beeped as per these instructions. So it's not that the unit doesn't work at all. It just doesn't work in the pilot with no working key.

I have been unable to find any instructions from any seller or manufacturer for how to program keys when you don't have any working key. Just wanted to warn others. If anyone can find any other instructions that would be amazing. If I ever find them I'll post them here. Until then, I wouldn't go this route unless you have a working key that drives it.

I too have been searching for instructions on how to do ALL KEYS LOST and the other functions of the item, not even the sellers offer instructions.

So, I cant verify if the item does ALL KEYS LOST or not, yet.

You may have to buy an SBB, or CK100, ($80 to $150 ) or other "Programmer" which has a MENU and the OBD2 connector to do ALL KEYS LOST.
This Item in the topic was the "cheapest" to do ADD KEY or COPY KEY....

If I find instructions on this EasyKeyMaker product on how to do all other functions, I will share it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
TLDR; Easy Key Maker doesn't seem to support my 2004 Pilot. ALSO: You may need to clear the radio security CODE before programming a key. BONUS: You can return easy key maker for full refund through Amazon, AND you can negotiate with locksmiths.
----------

I previously reported that the Easy Key Maker didn't support all keys lost function, and I wasn't sure whether to edit that or add a new comment. While that might be true, I wouldn't know, because it doesn't seem to support my 2004 Pilot at all. (Incidentally, of all the sellers I contacted about instructions for all keys lost function, various responses were received: 1) it doesn't support all keys lost, 2) the instructions should be the same, 3) it doesn't support all keys lost for 2004 Pilot.)

After lack of success with that device led me to have a locksmith come to my house to program two of my three keys, and then drive the pilot around a bit, I figured I could program the third key with the Easy Key Maker since I now had a working key. But that apparently wasn't the case, because it changed nothing....the device consistently beeps, as it should, in my civic, but not in my pilot. I tried changing positions of the device's mystery switch. I tried pushing the device's reset button with a pin in the tiny hole. I tried inserting it repeatedly on both to make sure it was not just a fluke. The results never varied. I really cannot think of any other variables between the two at this point other than the model and year.

It seems to be that Easy Key Maker doesn't support my 2004 Pilot at all, even for adding a key.

A note about radio security lockout. The locksmith returned my money and left the first time he came, unable to program any key. He said I'd need it towed to dealer because he's only had this happen with a Honda twice in five years. He said I could call another locksmith but most wouldn't give me my money back. He mentioned the radio said "CODE". I explained to him that CODE was from before the keys were lost, when the battery had died, I just needed to call the dealer to get the code and hadn't done so yet. I asked if he'd try again after I got the code. He said to ask the dealer if it would matter. I told him I doubted the dealer would know, but I'd try. So the dealer gave me the code and now the radio worked. He said they were unrelated and the radio should not affect key programming. He was wrong. The locksmith came back and was able to program the keys.

Note that because I ordered the Easy Key Maker from Amazon (which cost me significantly more, $65 vs $40, but I did it for faster shipping), I'll be able to return it for full refund. Also note that I was able to pay the locksmith the same as what I paid for the device, so I lost nothing but time and frustration. (From the twenty or so locksmiths I called, half of whom didn't do vehicles but gave me a number of someone who did, the quotes ranged from $100-$168. But if you throw out a lower number, offer cash, aren't in a hurry, and live conveniently located to them, you sometimes get lucky.)

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
TLDR; Easy Key Maker doesn't seem to support my 2004 Pilot. ALSO: You may need to clear the radio security CODE before programming a key.
Never heard of that before, not with any programmer, whether cheap or expensive.\

.... all the sellers I contacted about instructions for all keys lost function, various responses were received:
1) it doesn't support all keys lost, 2) the instructions should be the same, 3) it doesn't support all keys lost for 2004 Pilot.)
That maybe true, but all the sellers advertise it as supporting ALL KEYS LOST.....

The results never varied. I really cannot think of any other variables between the two at this point other than the model and year.

It seems to be that Easy Key Maker doesn't support my 2004 Pilot at all, even for adding a key.

This probably is the case

A note about radio security lockout. The locksmith returned my money and left the first time he came, unable to program any key. He said I'd need it towed to dealer because he's only had this happen with a Honda twice in five years. He said I could call another locksmith but most wouldn't give me my money back. He mentioned the radio said "CODE". I explained to him that CODE was from before the keys were lost, when the battery had died, I just needed to call the dealer to get the code and hadn't done so yet. I asked if he'd try again after I got the code. He said to ask the dealer if it would matter. I told him I doubted the dealer would know, but I'd try. So the dealer gave me the code and now the radio worked. He said they were unrelated and the radio should not affect key programming. He was wrong. The locksmith came back and was able to program the keys.

Question (maybe I missed it in your posts)
Were you able to program any immobilizer keys for your CIVIC with EasyKeyMaker ?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Great question Sha93, but I didn't attempt to program any keys for the CIVIC as I didn't intend to use it for the CIVIC, nor did I have any key to try to program. So I cannot speak to that, but since the device consistently responds with appropriate beeps in the CIVIC according to the first steps of the procedure that it completely lacks in the PILOT, this is enough to indicate compatibility issues with the PILOT for this device.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The easykeymaker didnt work for my 14 Pilot either. Claims it does. Will see if they will replace or refund.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Great question Sha93, but I didn't attempt to program any keys for the CIVIC as I didn't intend to use it for the CIVIC, nor did I have any key to try to program. So I cannot speak to that, but since the device consistently responds with appropriate beeps in the CIVIC according to the first steps of the procedure that it completely lacks in the PILOT, this is enough to indicate compatibility issues with the PILOT for this device.
The easykeymaker didnt work for my 14 Pilot either. Claims it does. Will see if they will replace or refund.

It didn't work for me the "first time" i tried.....

...make sure you are in a very quiet area, so you can hear the beep(s) sequence, so that you can perform next step correctly.

Remember, YOU NEVER START THE CAR ENGINE DURING THE ENTIRE PROCESS, you only turn on the ACC (position || )
ON = position || ...

Follow the directions here, EXACTLY as stated here.

1. Turn key in vehicle ignition to position || with an original or working key
. DO NOT START CAR Then plug device into OBD socket and LISTEN for a single beep pattern.
2. Turn key OFF (3 beep pattern)
3. Turn key ON. [a] Beeping will pause for 10 seconds then a long beep will sound [c] followed by a single beeps

4. Turn key OFF. (3 fast beeps following 2 beep pattern) PROGRAMMING STARTS

5. PULL OUT KEY and PUT IN OTHER NON PROGRAMMED KEY and turn ON. (beeps will change to single beeps)

6. Turn key OFF. (2 beep pattern)

7. Turn key ON. (single beep pattern for 20 seconds then a long beep will sound when complete and beeping will stop) PROGRAMMING ENDS

8. Turn OFF vehicle, and UNPLUG PROGRAMMER

* TO PROGRAM MORE THAN JUST ONE KEY. After step 6, just repeat steps 5 and 6. When you are on the final key to program LEAVE it in and turn back ON like on step 7 *

This Honda OBD Programmer claims it can program 6 spare keys. I had only bought 2 spare keys plus my working key (3) and I was able to program both of the spare keys.

If performed correctly and still doesn't work... maybe time to RETURN to seller.

*Post here the link to the seller or the place of purchase, so others can decide if they should purchase from that seller or to purchase from another seller. Maybe each seller get the product from different manufacturers ( some work, some wont )

1 - 20 of 26 Posts