Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else not like Honda seats? I am used to toyota seats (Celica GTS, Camry) where the headrests provide head and neck support. e.g. when driving I rest my head on the front of the headrest and it is a very comfortable long time driving position. On the Honda, the headrest is about 3-4 inches behind the natural position of my head. I would like to find either an adapter or another headrest to replace the headrest it comes with. In addition, the stock headrests neither go up and down nor has forward adjustment. (My celica GTS has front back adjustment, the camry has up down adjustment). Does anyone have the same issue and have a solution? I was going to measure the metal support rods on the headrest and wander thru honda and acura dealers to find a headrest that would fit and then try it out on the Pilot. But that seems a lot of work. Ideas would be welcome!

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I agree ... the factory headrest do not allow for aftermarket LCD screen installs as an option to mounting a flip down LCD on the roof.

PrG

·
Registered
26 Posts
Headrest

I _totally_ agree. I cannot see these headrests protecting you at all:eek:!! I was thinking of getting the following:

<http://www.addonheadrest.com/>

Any thoughts on how this would protect your neck?

How would it be if you added a pad that supported the neck. Would that be a good idea?:confused:

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Whoah ... I wouldn't go as far as that, but perhaps a solid replacement would be nice ...

PrG

·
Registered
395 Posts
I think whodiini had the right idea...see if any of the Honda or Acura headrests from other models might be an acceptable substitute.

Only thing...would a solid headrest interfere with line of sight when looking behind to change lanes?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Hadn't really paid much attention to it but last trip took note of it and agree headrest does sit back some. I'm thinking it was much better in the '97 CRV. Only car I have to compare it to now is '98 Mountaineer and it's worse yet in the all-one-piece Mountaineer seat. All-in-all, though, no major complaints with seat.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
addon headrests work great

Just bot and tried the addon headrests suggested by sbabcock (THX!). It works almost as good as a custom job (8.6 of of 10). Grey fabric matches reasonably well with my grey interior. Now I can drive in comfort. Only minor quibble is that it is a little too soft, like lying on a sofa instead of a harder cushion like a headrest. Otherwise, it is a little adjustable as well, and doesnt look all that bad, ie looks as good as you can expect given that it is a strap on.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Well there is nothing like a picture for those thousand words. Can you get one of this thing in the Pilot?

·
Registered
149 Posts
I find the Pilot front headrests not useful and uncomfortable. They can't go up and down like other cars. Anyone has any solutions so far?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yes

Read my prior email. The solution makes it a nonproblem now as far as I am concerned. I only wish I found about these years ago. Might have kept the Honda Accord instead of buying a Camry! I will try to take a picture soon. These look like they would be better than the second suggestion in this thread.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Home Made Pillows

I made 2 pillows for my pilot. My wife complained about her head hitting right in the middle of the opening. So I bought a 10" square pillow from Wal-Mart and some fabric for about $8. I cut the fabric with a flap over so I could have a removable cover. Then I slipped the back flap over the headrest - voila - wife happy. I'm going to try to post some pictures. I'll post some more info if anyone is interested after I get back from vacation.

SoapPlant, I hope we can get together when we are in your neck of the woods. Give me a call if the dates make sense. Oh, BTW, we are staying in York instead of Harrisburg.

VACATION:5: :5:

Attachments

·
Registered
57 Posts
Home Made Pillows

Here is another view.

Attachments

·
Registered
465 Posts
I would suggest that the headrests are the way they are for safety reasons. I know that sounds wrong, but they feel and look exactly like my Volvo headrests. When I complained to the Volvo dealer about them being uncomfortable and immobile, he said that they were designed to eliminate whiplash. "Comfortable" headrests were not nearly as safe as they sit too low to protect your neck and head in an accident.

Once you get used to them, I think they are very comfortable.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had an 87 760 volvo wgn with similar headrests (hole in the center) they had a padded insert that fit in to the center with matching leather maybe something like that would do the trick.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I gotta agree with everyone here . . . this is my one complaint when I test drove the Pilot today . . . what in the world was Honda thinking and if it's for safety, then why doesnt my wife's Odyssey have these annoying headrests ? ?

Our's are so much more comfortable. . .

·
Registered
149 Posts
Headrest Solution

Many of us find the front headrests to be very uncomfortable. Worst of all, they can not go up and down, like most vehicles. Here is my inexpensive solution (see pics). The pillows are therapeutically designed to support the head and neck areas. I found it very comfortable on long highway trips or in daily driving. I attached them to the headrests with velcro straps (one is supplied and need another one since the head rests are so big). They can be adjusted very easily to fit your head position by aligning the pillow against your head and neck areas first and then press it against the velcro strips to lock in the postion. They can be removed easily if you wish. They come in four colors. Also, the cover is washable since it can be unzipped from the foam interior. It costs $14.95 each from http://www.ergoboy.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=E&Product_Code=055-THP-multi-use&Category_Code=03

Attachments

1 - 20 of 95 Posts