Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone plan to replace the exhaust system?
Can never have too much horsepower - I am considering doing this at some point. Anyone have recommendations?

---
03 Pilot EX-L SS w/RB
01 Audi S4

·
Registered
232 Posts
Isn't the exhaust system on the Pilot stainless? I would think you could get a gain in HP from other sources that would be more bang for the buck. ??????

·
Registered
186 Posts
Exhaust system changes give very little gain in HP - unless you plan on removing the catalytic converter (not wise). Simplest change with biggest gain would be to improve the breathing with some type of aftermarket system - change to a bottom breather from Halltech on my Vette made a difference you can feel in the seat of your pants - 15 to 20 HP is quoted. Changed the exhaust on the Vette more for the sound than HP gain.
I'm not certain yet what is offered for the Pilot.

Bake in Wisconsin

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Adding a different catback system would give you only a little bit if any increase in horsepower. Some will claim 10-15 added horses, but that's unrealistic. The point of constriction and air flow for exhaust is primarily at your headers, then the catalytic converter, then the exhaust. In order to realize noticeable added horsepower gain the method to do so would be freer flowing headers then a matched exhaust. Also, air intake is another point of constriction ... The factory intake is adequate but the more cold air that can be pushed into the engine will increase combustion. So add an aftermarket cold air intake ... headers ... then exhaust ... and then you just might see a 5-10 hp gain ... other benefits is faster throttle response and maybe better fuel mileage ...

But, if you are looking for something cosmetic ... any aftermarket exhaust custom shop can build whatever you're looking for ...

PrG

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everybody, that's useful stuff. Clearly I do not know what the hell I'm talking about :17:
Has anyone done any of these mods yet? I saw the thread on filters, but it wasn't clear that this had made a perceptible difference.

I may just leave well enough alone. The passing power isn't bad as it is.

---
03 Pilot EX-L SS w/RB
01 Audi S4

·
Registered
154 Posts
Can you upgrade the EPROM in a Honda, like in BMW,VW,and GM cars?

·
Registered
232 Posts
EPROM???? :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
154 Posts
Sorry, upgrade the computer chip. There are companies out there that modify how the computer controls the motor such as timing and fuel mixture, and will take off the maxium speed limit if there is one that is set.

Not sure with VTEC if this can even be done, or if it is worth it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts