Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,878 Posts
There are several business that specialize in used or rebuilt/remanufactured engines.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There are several business that specialize in used or rebuilt/remanufactured engines.

I found some engines that look good on the paper but when I look at the reviews it looks bad with Swengines.com being the worst offender. The business is linked to a number of engine shopping websites.
swengines reviews

It looks like carplanet.com is just a middle men between a local junk yard and the customer with some warranty benefits added.

Jasperengines is most likely good but at close to $6,000 it is more than my entire Pilot in good condition would be worth.

I have not spent whole lot of time researching but it seems Best Rebuilt Engines do not offer Hondas engines and if they do the prices would be most likely close to Jasper.

Thank you for the links.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Unfortunately with our rides finding a good dependable source of an engine is hard to come by. Like others stated best bet look into a bone yard and find something with low mileage and go from there.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Car-part.com can help locate an engine. I’d look for one with moderate mileage 100-150k miles from a RECENT accident, along with a warranty of some sort. 6 months should be good enough. You really don’t want one that’s sat for years - that’s worse than driving it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Anyone knows the list of recommended seals/parts to replace when doing the engine swap? I searched but could not find anything. 2005 Pilot. The donor engine has 115000 miles.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
My opinion is to leave most of the seals alone. The main crankshaft seal next to the transmission, yes , replace it if you know what you are doing. Once you reinstall the engine, this seal is inaccessible. However, this seal seems to be good for 200k miles or so if left undisturbed. With 115k miles, your donor engine needs a timing belt/water pump job. Otherwise, I would not mess with the cam seals. When you get running again, use a hi-mi type oil that has seal conditioners in it.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,323 Posts
When you get running again, use a hi-mi type oil that has seal conditioners in it.
Or add a bottle of AT-205 Re-Seal. :)

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,323 Posts
Let us know how things turn out.

·
Registered
11,503 Posts
There's always Copart. They will let you start the vehicle to see how it runs. You got to get the wrecked vehicle home somehow and harvest the engine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts