Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello Again!

I need to replace the rotors and pads on my 2016 Touring. We have been plagued with the grabby run-out issues and had the brakes turned once for free by the dealer at about 40k (IIRC), but I think we've worn pretty low and we're getting a squeak at [54]k. So I'm game to replace the rotors and pads, but I was wondering if there is a non-OEM kit that can be suggested. I'd hate to go full OEM and had that pulsing grabby awfulness again.

Thanks for your suggestions.

·
Registered
11,394 Posts
I put these Element 3 Raybestos brake pads and rorors from RockAuto.com on a 2012 Crosstour and have been tremendously pleased. The rotors are coated to prevent rust.

These part #s are for a 2016 Pilot.

Reactions: GaWd

·
Registered
425 Posts
I've used powerstop z23 pads on my last few brake jobs and am really happy with them. I use their blank rotors and like them as well. Depending on your mileage you should be able to turn your rotors. Oreilly does

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've used powerstop z23 pads on my last few brake jobs and am really happy with them. I use their blank rotors and like them as well. Depending on your mileage you should be able to turn your rotors. Oreilly does
THe dealer already turned them once when the runout led to grabby brakes on the highway. I could turn them again, but if new rotors are in the $20-50 range and I can get some that are incrementally better than the OEM, I think it might be a bit more trouble than it's worth.

Thanks for the pad recommendation.

·
Registered
11,394 Posts
I've never had good long term results turning rotors. And for what they charge to turn them, you can buy new ones from Rockauto. Turning rotors to me is just archaic.

Reactions: Aviator6

·
Registered
254 Posts
I have been getting Genuine brake pads in the past for most of my cars but after co-worker suggest to use autozone pads because is life time warranty and you can save a lot if you drive in the city-stop and go (ok, I admit that I brake hard too), I decide to try it on my 2017 Pilot and so far so good, came with all the needed hardware and nice and quiet stop.

As per autozone, when I need new pads, just bring in the worn out pads and provide my cell phone number on record, they will give me a new set no question asked. For me, my pads never last over 30000 or 3 years. so, it definitely pays for me.

my rotor was still in decent shape, so , I did not change it. I would not get it from autozone as their rotor is not cheap, Rockauto has way better price. Is cheap enough to replace the rotors at each brake change if is needed and autozone pads would be free....

·
Registered
2019 Pilot EX-L AWD, 265-60-18 Defender LTX M/S
640 Posts
A lot of times it's not warped rotors but pad material transferred when you got them hot and stayed on the brakes hard.

Try to let off after hard braking. neutral/parking brake are options. Some have been fixed by doing a couple hard 50-5mph almost stop and then being able to drive slow and let them cool off.

I used Centric on a couple vehicles when they did need to be replaced. also the slotted, drilled or both. I don't know if DBA makes rotors for Pilot. Centric and others make Cryo-Treated versions that are also more resistant to warp.

Search on methods also with a runout gauge. Just turning the rotors left or right to next lug or 2 might make them run straighter. any rust or buildup at mating surface makes them worse.

disc brake job.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts