Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best option for replacing brake rotors and pads for a 2009 pilot? I used to go ac delco for my old gm truck. Is there an upgrade that's worth the money?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
This is a bit like "which oil is the best"-- everybody has their own favorite. If you like Delco, and you can find Delco aftermarket to fit your Pilot, then why not? I like Wagner pads, but I have also purchased the cheapest Chinese pad+rotor kit for my Mazda, with great results. I think that the installation is the biggest factor. File out the rust deposits from the caliper and pad slides. Use new SS slide hardware. Lube with a good brake lube. Bleed the lines when you are done. A good install is what makes for a good brake job.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
If you can't wait for Rock Auto to ship, auto parts stores like Advance or Autozone carry a good selection of rotors and pads. Use the 20-25% coupons off to save some bucks off the purchase. Had no problems with CarQuest premium or Wagners.

·
Registered
129 Posts
If you're planning on keeping it, I like the Autozone Gold level stuff. It's decent quality and lifetime guaranteed (although I think the rotors have changed to three years). My brakes recently wore out in back and I did the whole axle for nothing using their guarantee. Dumped the black junk on their counter and walked out with shiny new parts.

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
I've almost always used Centric axle packs and have been very satisfied.

Reactions: plplplpl

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,217 Posts
To each his own, and I've heard good things about Power Stop kits and Akebono pads, but I continue to be very satisfied with the Centric set I got from Rockauto. At long last, the good brakes I wish my Pilot had had all along. Here's the equivalent for your 2009.

·
Registered
129 Posts
This is just based off my experience and does in no way say anything about other options...

Pads:
Akebono for OEM-like performance
EBC Green for higher friction/better performance (at the cost of more dust) *currently running these

Rotors:
Centric coated are good OEM-like replacements
Powerstop drilled/slotted if you have issues with warping and/or pad deposits due to temperature *currently running these

If you are already doing a full brake job, consider steel braided brake lines and a fluid flush. The lines considerably improve the pedal feel removing almost all of the mush.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I know I am late to this party but I just replaced the brakes on all four corners with PowerStop Z23 Evolution kit. I have about 500 miles on them so far and they are performing better than the worn out stock brakes that were on there. The Kit comes with the rotors and the pad, which are ceramic. Install was easy, I took my time and painted all the components high temp black. Low dust and great stopping so far. here are the before and after pictures.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,217 Posts
Nice, but why go with slotted and drilled? Plan on street racing your Pilot?

Nice paint job.

Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Once a gear head always a gear head. Free shipping from Summit compared to 100 shipping for the stock setup from rockauto... lots of reasons, but the biggest reason is ...Because I can... (y)

thanks, cleaned it up a bit being black... thought about going red or yellow or something fancy.... but it's a family rig, not a race car.

Been lurking for a while but never posted anything.

Cheers

·
Registered
2011 Pilot EX-L
145 Posts
I've had an issue with Akebono + OEM, Centric, Raybestos or PowerStop setup on my 2011 Pilot.
Shimmies after approx 20K. Could be something else, but ever since putting Akebonos on for the first time on (at the time) original rotors, I've had a recurring shimmy issue.

I'm trying an all-Centric setup now (Centric rotors + Centric Posi-Quiet ceramic pads).
All else failing, returning to an all-OEM setup for one final test and then if that fails, I'll just piss on my Pilot and torch it.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,174 Posts
I just did my front brakes- pads that is.
A complete front set of pads, lifetime guarantee, even includes wearing thin over time from AutoZone. Duralast brake pads. Re used all my own 'hardware'. ~$29.

* edit, took it for a test drive and to 'bed' the brakes with several robust stops. No pedal pulsating, stops great!

If your pilot stops fine,
If you replace your pads BEFORE it gets 'metal on metal'
If your rotors are not gouged or scored badly,

WHY would you, or I , replace the rotors? Because you can? What a waste of time and money.

Now if your rotors are too thin, gouged badly from poor maintenance, or pitted badly- by all means- replace them!

And btw- a rotor will RARELY warp! Do you know how strong that rotor is? You might have a pulsing brake pedal, and it may help to have the rotors 'turned', but It's rarely ever warped.
Yea, I said it.

·
Registered
10,217 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Pilot EX-L
145 Posts

Exactly what I put on mine and have been very happy for a couple of years, now. If you still get shimmies after that, it's most likely not your brakes but something else.
Yup, 90640015 for my 2011.
I also put in new rear calipers because I suspected they weren't working well (too much pad material deposit in the rotors and pad grab marks).
Got stainless steel hoses (noticed that my older rubber hoses actually spring quite a bit when I was bleeding the new rear calipers, curious how SS hoses would improve the brake response. It definitely did wonders for my other older truck) and will probably do new front calipers as well with them just 'cause I'm bored.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Nice, but why go with slotted and drilled? Plan on street racing your Pilot?

Nice paint job.

Welcome to the forum.
The brakes for Honda Pilots (2009 era in particular) are way under designed for the weight of the vehicle. You will probably notice vibrations during braking due to warped rotors. The BEST cure for this (I've been through it several times) is to go with drilled/slotted rotors. Works like a charm and no more dangerous vibrations during braking!

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,174 Posts
The brakes for Honda Pilots (2009 era in particular) are way under designed for the weight of the vehicle. You will probably notice vibrations during braking due to warped rotors. The BEST cure for this (I've been through it several times) is to go with drilled/slotted rotors. Works like a charm and no more dangerous vibrations during braking!
Warped Rotors Again? Where's that face pam emoji?

Kirk, glad you have what you like. If I EVER had 'vibrations when braking', I'd probably look in to it too.

·
Registered
10,217 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts